RRA ATH Carbine (Finally)...Range Report Edit

Originally Posted By: dmpowderLooks like a keeper! How are you liking the stock and RRA handguard?

I love the PRS, I have long arms so the adjustments are great for me. I like the handguard, plenty of room, no complaints. However, this is my first AR, so I don't have much experience to compare it too. I will probably be spoiled from here, comparing other "factory" rigs to a RRA.

Gonna do some fine tuning on the load development with the 55 BK over benchmark. I'm also going to give the 55 BT another shot with benchmark instead of the exterminator powder I first tried.

Great job, very impressive. I would say the RockRiver and Nikon scope make a pretty darn good pair. I know what you mean about wanting an AR10, I lasted 8 weeks before I had to pull that trigger! Glad I did, just more fun.

Took it to the range today for the 2nd time and it is still impressing me.

Fined tuned the 55 grain Blitzkings over Benchmark. The cool thing was the 50 grain Ballistic Tips showed some real promise once I switched them from X-terminator powder to Benchmark.

Skullcreek will be happy, I am beginning to really like the Ballistic Tips. I think it is safe to say, this rifle loves it some Benchmark Powder.

(all were 5 shot groups at 100 yards, no wind, and the [beeep] flyer down and right is my achilles heel)

24.6 graind Benchmark, Nosler BT, Nosler Brass, Rem 7 1/2
5.jpg

25.5 grains Benchmark with the BT
4.jpg

24.1 grains Benchmark with 55 grain BK
1.jpg

24.3 grains Benchmark with 55 grain BK
2.jpg

24.4 grains Benchmark with 55 grain BK
3.jpg

For those who ask about breaking in a barrel, my procedure consisted of shooting it 150 times and cleaning the barrel. I have come to believe that a good, hand lapped barrel, doesn't need much "breaking in". A regular old Rem 700 factory barrel, now that's a different animal.

You got her shooting great! The coyotes won't like the 50 BT's as much a I do and that's a promise! Shoot them in the shoulder and watch them fall! There will be exits but it's fur friendly.

Back