Ron Paul, Spoiler?

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherI got this in an email. An interesting comment

http://stevebussey.com/wp/2011/12/did-ron-paul-lie-about-being-drafted/

Quote:Now, I am not a psychiatrist, but I did minor in psychology as an undergraduate and most physicians have been educated in the behavioral sciences and have been trained to diagnose common psychiatric disorders. Furthermore, it is estimated that the incidence of Narcissistic Personality Disorder occurs 34 times more often in medical doctors than in the general population.
Over the last several weeks, I have been studying Dr. Paul as well as his followers through his television appearances, his letters (and Newsletters), social media, and video clips from You-tube and have noted a very disturbing pattern of Dr. Paul showing all of the psycopathological characteristics of a genuine “cult leader” and his followers showing all of the characteristics of a cult. I have studied cults and their leaders and have outlined the “five basic rules” of being a cult leader. I have also indicated the psychopathology associated with cult leaders as they form their cults:

Ron Paul didn't lie about being drafted...as it says, he received a draft letter, but chose the option of joining the air-force to put his medical knowledge to use. After 6+ years of medical school (or whatever it takes to become a doctor), should he go become an army grunt or use his skills and knowledge better?
And the Cult thing...stretching a little bit? A little conspiracy bug bite you? If the reverse was studied by Psychology Minor, Steve Bussey, I wonder how he could categorize Ron Paul bashers. That would be an interesting study.

I speak only for myself, but I don't consider myself a Ron Paul basher, but an electoral realist.

There is no mistaking that Mr. Paul has a legendary, noisy, and spamacious (I just made that word up) following, but they are not enough to get him elected.

His appeal is limited to a very small cross-section of voters: the legalize marijuana crowd, the isolationist crowd, the libertarian crowd, and the "America brought 9-11 on herself" crowd.

None of which creates a coalition large enough to get RP elected nor should it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crimson RaptorI speak only for myself, but I don't consider myself a Ron Paul basher, but an electoral realist.

There is no mistaking that Mr. Paul has a legendary, noisy, and spamacious (I just made that word up) following, but they are not enough to get him elected.

His appeal is limited to a very small cross-section of voters: the legalize marijuana crowd, the isolationist crowd, the libertarian crowd, and the "America brought 9-11 on herself" crowd.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2011/12/paul-leads-in-iowa.html

Bottom line, he served and therefore has the right to criticize the self proclaimed war hawk. Newt wiggled his way out probably because he thought he was too smart..

What's worse, being against a war but still contributing your service or being a pro war tough guy and staying at home..

If the media didn't bash, ignore and margenalize the only real grassroots movement that's occurring, Paul would be way in the lead. Evan after winning nearly every straw pool and being set to take Iowa they still have managed to convince people he has no chance? Why Evan have straw polls or debates? how about they just tell you who to pick..

Are they still going to keep people convinced after Iowa..?

All the quackery like "America brought 9-11 on herself" and "isolationist" labels are all garbage lines thrown around to eliminate the threat. Once people dig deeper..instead you see the cia's"Blow back theory" and "Thomas Jeffersons foreign policy" which is far from isolationism.

The real quacks are those, sitting on a couches with pelosi trying to gut our country..The real quacks are writing healthcare bills with individual mandates and calling it freedom..

Originally Posted By: Crimson Raptor

From a young person's perspective:

I think you are greatly downplaying the ability of Ron Paul to get elected. Call it ignorance or whatever you choose, but the vast majority of young voters have NO IDEA who Newt Gingrich is. They won't vote for him. Period.

The "very small cross-section" that you pointed out is much larger than you'd be led to believe. I assure you of that.

Obama won because of his ability to get the young and minority voters into the polls. Call me a "Paul Bot" (I'm not), but there is no doubt he has appealed to the young vote.

More and more young people realize our country is headed toward the crapper given our policies both at home and abroad. Look at both the "National Security" and the upcoming "SOPA" vote. The approval of lawmakers in our country is not in a decline, but rather a violent tailspin. Although we owe an astronomical amount of debt to China we have deliberate policies in place to step on their toes in Asia. Make no mistakes, the people out there supporting Paul aren't all uneducated idiots, we understand that our country is on a course set for self-destruction.

I will guarantee that Gingrich will be the Hillary of the Republican party. He stands no chance of defeating Obama. Someone else has to be chosen or the Republicans will lose. The problem is that everyone else is pretty much out of the question. All of their policies and ideas fit too much into the typical Republican "offering".

They WON'T get O out of office. Obama got elected. Some people still like him. Without a new message of "change" offered, Obama will win again. Like it or not, Paul has some good offered. You may not agree with all of his ideas, but the normal offerings of Republican candidates don't have what it takes to get O out of office.

Feel free to comment, but please avoid calling me naive or whatever else you choose. Like it or not, I speak for many more voters than you'd imagine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YoungGun92

I think you are greatly downplaying the ability of Ron Paul to get elected. Call it ignorance or whatever you choose, but the vast majority of young voters have NO IDEA who Newt Gingrich is. They won't vote for him. Period.
By the time the election rolls around they will know who he is.

Quote:
Obama won because of his ability to get the young and minority voters into the polls. Call me a "Paul Bot" (I'm not), but there is no doubt he has appealed to the young vote.
You spend too much time on the conservative sites, too know your enemy you need to spend some time with the left wing group. They are already active, not sitting around preaching on the side of friends.

Quote:More and more young people realize our country is headed toward the crapper given our policies both at home and abroad. Look at both the "National Security" and the upcoming "SOPA" vote. The approval of lawmakers in our country is not in a decline, but rather a violent tailspin. Although we owe an astronomical amount of debt to China we have deliberate policies in place to step on their toes in Asia. Make no mistakes, the people out there supporting Paul aren't all uneducated idiots, we understand that our country is on a course set for self-destruction.
For the 13 million unemployed, the Republicans are looking like the bottle neck for jobs. Those 13 million are not the young and lazy. They were the working people of America, now the Republicans want to cut off their benefits. Do you think Paul can convince them otherwise?

Quote:I will guarantee that Gingrich will be the Hillary of the Republican party. He stands no chance of defeating Obama. Someone else has to be chosen or the Republicans will lose. The problem is that everyone else is pretty much out of the question. All of their policies and ideas fit too much into the typical Republican "offering".

I tend to agree with you, Gingrich is a POS.

Quote:They WON'T get O out of office. Obama got elected. Some people still like him. Without a new message of "change" offered, Obama will win again. Like it or not, Paul has some good offered. You may not agree with all of his ideas, but the normal offerings of Republican candidates don't have what it takes to get O out of office.

Feel free to comment, but please avoid calling me naive or whatever else you choose. Like it or not, I speak for many more voters than you'd imagine.

I think you might be right, Obama looks like he might be back for 4 more. At this point, none of the Republicans are wired high enough to defeat him.

Originally Posted By: YoungGun92
Ron Paul didn't lie about being drafted...as it says, he received a draft letter, but chose the option of joining the air-force to put his medical knowledge to use. After 6+ years of medical school (or whatever it takes to become a doctor), should he go become an army grunt or use his skills and knowledge better?
And the Cult thing...stretching a little bit? A little conspiracy bug bite you? If the reverse was studied by Psychology Minor, Steve Bussey, I wonder how he could categorize Ron Paul bashers. That would be an interesting study.

I did not post it to determine if Paul was drafted or enlisted, I posted it for the paragraph I posted. The issue of cult practices. Not saying Paul is or isn't a pseudo cult leader, just saying a lot of voters think he looks like one. Reminds me of Jim Jones of Guyana fame, his followers followed him into [beeep].

His military service gives him points with a lot of people, but it isn't a "give me" just because he served. [beeep] I was a grunt 11B, but that doesn't make me electable.

I have been wondering if the Dems are funneling RP money. It takes a lot of ten dollar donations to make millions,hes supposed to be getting his money from the grass roots.No one could/is helping Obama more that RP.

Ah, to be young and so naive again. Not bashing the young, but you notice how all "older" people keep telling you how you don't really understand how things work till you've live in the world a while? Could all them really be wrong? Trust me, politics is the same. Without the young and gullible Ron Paul would have 50 people behind him. Enthusiasm should never be confused with wisdom.

Look, Left Wingers will always be voting that way, same way with people on the far Right. It's the 8% or so in the MIDDLE who determine EVERY election. They went with Obama last time, they aren't behind him this time. It will be a Republican massacre and Ron Paul won't play any part in it. About 1 in 300 Young people vote. About 1 in 1000 are informed enough to vote. I'm glad you're involved in Politics and follow it, but I guarantee as sure as I'm writing this, your life view will change as you get older and you'll think what you think now was nothing but hooey.

RP also appears to have less interest in securing the borders than zero does. I have some real problems with that, though I don't think it would be as totally f'ed up as it is under zero.

right now deportations are at an all time low, zero is doing everything he can to protect illegals including suing states that dare pass laws dealing with the problems & threatening law enforcement should they do anything.

with RP, I think the last 2 would end & we'd just have open borders where anyone & come at will.

Can't build a fence Stu. It would be used to keep us all in.
crazy.gif

No fence...just National Guard on the border. Plus cut off all subsitites to illegals...No anchor babies, no free health care, no free education. What's Newt's plan for illegals? Or Romney's?

wonder how much of what he wants he'd be able to get congress to pass?

Anchor babies? Requires legislation. federal benefits? Requires legislation (and doesn't stop the states from providing whatever they still want to, BTW).

The federal decriminalization of drugs? Requires legislation. At that, most;ly the states have their own laws controlling drugs, so the illegal market remains in place unless 1 or more states passes laws to change that.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish

The federal decriminalization of drugs? Requires legislation. At that, most;ly the states have their own laws controlling drugs, so the illegal market remains in place unless 1 or more states passes laws to change that.

In 2009 90 billion dollars was spent by American drug users on illegals drugs. Money sent to the Mexican drug cartels. If drugs were legalized the cartels are the only ones capable of keeping up with the distribution to keep Americans "happy".

The way I see these polls from Iowa is 73% don't want Ron Paul. They don't mean a thing right now anyways. The younger members don't remember Jimmy Carter. Just look back and try and say he can't be beaten.

There are a lot of people who don't remember Carter who will be voting this time. I wish they could all see this video.They can't believe us older ones when we say things we have seen before and this video might help.It's like I tell my kids and grand kids,I don't know all the answers,but I know some things that won't work.If they will listen and not do those same things that we know won't work that should be of some help.At least if we make mistakes we should hope they are new ones.

Back