remington R15 range report

Three shots have zero statistica value. All you've done by shooting a three shot group is make noise. You need (at least) 5 shots to establish anything.

Having said that, if my first three shots at 200 yds were like that, I'd probably stop there too.
grin.gif
Nice group.
thumbup1.gif

Jim, you should try it off of a bench for a more realistic idea of what your rifle is capable of. If it still shoots like that at 100 yds, you've got a problem.

Originally Posted By: nmleonThree shots have zero statistica value. All you've done by shooting a three shot group is make noise. You need (at least) 5 shots to establish anything.

I don't know about that. If I can't tell what's going on in three, two more ain't going to help much.

All you've done by shooting a five shot group is made more noise than a three shot group would of.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: nmleonThree shots have zero statistica value. All you've done by shooting a three shot group is make noise. You need (at least) 5 shots to establish anything.

I don't know about that. If I can't tell what's going on in three, two more ain't going to help much.

All you've done by shooting a five shot group is made more noise than a three shot group would of.

Not true, you also made the ammo and component manufacturers happy!

Some guys say at least five shots,,,some say 10 to determine a rifles average.

Who knows who is right?..good arguments from all sides,,but in the end it is all about repeatability.

The post with the 3 shots from shooting sticks tells me much more than the other....it looked like 3 dead coyotes to me.

I shoot from bags,bench ,prone,off hand,crumpled up clothing items(including boots) and i practice all of these,,to know what my rifle and i are capable of...i sight to cold bore ,,,so i am a big fan of the 2 shot group,,cause 1 could just be luck..............X

Well, if you're talking about a 3 inch 3 shot group, I agree, 5 is going to give you a better idea of what the true "accuracy" is.

If you're talking about 3 touching, I think it "proved" quite a bit.

If I check the zero on my rifle, 3 shots is plenty to see if it's still good to go or not.

Originally Posted By: nmleonThree shots have zero statistica value. All you've done by shooting a three shot group is make noise. You need (at least) 5 shots to establish anything.

Having said that, if my first three shots at 200 yds were like that, I'd probably stop there too.
grin.gif
Nice group.
thumbup1.gif

Jim, you should try it off of a bench for a more realistic idea of what your rifle is capable of. If it still shoots like that at 100 yds, you've got a problem.

why only shoot 5 shots 10 will establish more then 5

Grizz, thanks for sharing your group with us. People on here love to tell you that you or what you have done is wrong or that your rifle sucks and theirs is better. They are still great guys though! Please keep on posting.

PS. Shoot a couple bad groups with that R15 and everyone will love you. Haha

Quote:You need (at least) 5 shots

NMLeon, I did not think I would live to see someone say that on this forum! I have always been taught to "shoot 5 before you start braggin'."

I like to shoot 10 shots, measure the group, then divide by 10 to get the average MOA of my rifle.
tt2.gif
I usually shoot around .22 MOA unless i get a tumbler.

GREAT GROUP!!!! I don't care who you are.
thumbup.gif

I don't care what anybody says, that's one heeeeeeck of a group. I feel great if I get close to that at 100 yards. My Herters will shoot that tight at 100 yards on my good days, which are getting few and far between. If you get another group like that, send me the target, I'll frame it and take credit. LOL

yh57

yotehunter i just posted one from today send me your address and i will send you one LOL this load was one of the first i tried and for once it was great saving many trips to the range and buying many different power bullet combos you might want to try these they work for me

Gun control is... 10 shot group at 100 yards, no scope, DPMS AR-15 A-3. Isn't there always one that wanders off?...
wink.gif

Funny, the red dot is only HALF as wide as the front sight pin at that distance... lol...

noname3.jpg

Last edited:
There are really two evaluation factors needed in shooting...

1) the accuracy of the rifle, and
2) the accuracy/skill of the shooter

The accuracy of the rifle has to be determined before the accuracy of the shooter has any validity..

Three shots at a specific distance with a "locked down" rifle will determine the accuracy of the rifle/ammo.....

Five shots with a standard shooting position will determine the general ability of the shooter (whether it's sitting, standing, or kneeling)...Even I have been lucky enough to have "Zigged" when I should have when shooting a so-so rifle...

Five groups of five shots will really produce some 'bragging' rights....
wink.gif

What??? So you are saying the other 2 shots will be likely be off target bad enough for a complete miss??? Whatever!

I agree with coyotex, sight to cold bore...3 shot groups is plenty!!!

Chad

3 shots is too small a sample to be statistically significant. A minimum of 5 shots and preferably several 5 shot groups will show closer to true accuracy.

Jack

I will say this much and i will leave this one alone since almost all of these are viable opinions.

Truley test and see how good your rifle repeats?,,forget groups and stick 5 of those shoot and see dots on a paper at 100 or 200 yards,,,see if you can dead center 5 for 5.

Do that once in the mornin,noon and at dusk.

Then you can truly say "itll shoot inside a inch,,..all day long......................X

Back