Remington pump action rifles

I've nothing against the 760, and LOVE (and own) a 35 Colonel.

That said, the Remington 141 is EASILY the coolest (and best) centerfire pump-gun ever made IMO. Mine is chambered in 35 Remington. Superb woods rifle for black bear/deer. Cycles faster than a 760, and it is a take-down. They are a STEAL at $400 or so. If they nade them today, they would cost easily 2X that price.........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI've nothing against the 760, and LOVE (and own) a 35 Colonel.

That said, the Remington 141 is EASILY the coolest (and best) centerfire pump-gun ever made IMO. Mine is chambered in 35 Remington. Superb woods rifle for black bear/deer. Cycles faster than a 760, and it is a take-down. They are a STEAL at $400 or so. If they nade them today, they would cost easily 2X that price.........

So I am not the only one hunting with a Rem 141. mine is also a 35, and after I shot my first deer this year with the 35 w. I got out the 141 for a backup. mine was a real steal at $150 a few years ago. someone must have left it on the floorboard of a truck, as the muzzle was kind of rusty. Had it cut and recrowned, it is a good shooter. makes a handy deer rifle, but do miss the magazine from a 760.
Barry

Originally Posted By: wisconsinteacherWould it be worth finding an older 30-06 or 270 and having it bored to 35 Whelen?

It would cost you twice as much as a new rifle and a lot of drama to boot.

If you really have your hart set on a whelen gun broker or gunsamerica is your best bet. And yes, 2gun I agree on the 141. Those are some cool looking guns.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThem old ones kick like a mule !

The first rifle I deer hunted with was my dads 760 pump in 30-06. That thing kicked like a Missouri Mule with those 180 grain bullets. It had no recoil pad, just an aluminum buttplate, and my shoulder would hurt and my ears would ring for a week after I shot it.

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThem old ones kick like a mule !

The first rifle I deer hunted with was my dads 760 pump in 30-06. That thing kicked like a Missouri Mule with those 180 grain bullets. It had no recoil pad, just an aluminum buttplate, and my shoulder would hurt and my ears would ring for a week after I shot it.

They must have changed because my 7600 is similar to 20 gauge trap loads

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThem old ones kick like a mule !

Mine originally had a plastic plate. Not fun...I now have a B&C stock on it...soon to be a Boyd's with a Pacmayer.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThem old ones kick like a mule !

Mine originally had a plastic plate. Not fun...I now have a B&C stock on it...soon to be a Boyd's with a Pacmayer.

Mine still has has the plastic butt plate. Maybe because I'm 6'2" and 235 I absorb it better. I do own a 300 & 375 RUM:)

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorOriginally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThem old ones kick like a mule !

I was 13 years old and skinny as a rail. There wasn't much meat on my bones, and that darned thing was wicked on my shoulder.

Check with Grice's Gun Shop in Pennsylvania. They carry limited runs that Remington will do. I believe the 7600 35 Whelen is a pretty common run.

Originally Posted By: sigprosDid they ever make them in 358 win? That seems like a match made in heaven right there

I'm not sure...but mine may become one, soon...
grin.gif

Ahlmans in MN was doing a number of 358's on 760's, I believe it was 35 Rem to 358. Again you have JES Reboring doing 270 and 30-06 to 35 Whelen and 243 and 308 to 358 Win for a whopping $225. including return shipping.

http://www.35caliber.com/

AWS- would that price also include a 270 to 338-06?

I'm working out the particulars on a 760 in 270 with the LGS. If I can get it as cheap as it's looking I'm gonna have it rebored.
I've been wanting the 338-06 in the pump for about 6 months now.

Thats his standard rate, Gary. I have not read anything as to one bore to another differential. I'm thinking my 30 is going to become a 358 Win. Thumb around his site. Pretty cool work.

Im on it now. I figured it was standard rate but the way the price was mentioned with just those two chamberings had me confused.

I think I can walk out the door with that rifle for about 375. Then it will be off to someone for reboring. Will probably pick up a B&C stock and forend as well as some sort of non optic sight configuration.

Will be my thick woods hammer.

Thought about taking my 308 to 358 but I've have a soft spot for 30-06 based stuff

I will sell you my B&C of you want a black one. I'm going with a Boyd's set.

I already have a peep for mine. Gonna ditch the optics.

There is absolutely not a rifle that was ever made with the lines of a 760/7600...period, end of story. I am 52 years old and have had a love affair with the 760 since 1975. That's longer than both my wives and every girl I ever knew. I should be ashamed to tell it, but I aint!!! My favorite hunting rifle these days is a 760 that was a 270 but had possibly the worse excuse for a barrel ever to leave the Remington factory. The rifling was all gunched up and it wouldn't shoot a 3 inch group. I rebarreled it to 260. I do have to say that the 760/7600 has the strangest method ever to attach a barrel to a receiver I ever saw.
Someone mentioned the 141 in a previous post. I have one of those unfired in 35 Remington. It is absolutely mint and I would never sell it...that corkscrew magazine is just way too cool. Here is some trivia...the 141 has the distinction of being the last Remington made that had color case hardening on it. The loading gate and trigger were cyanide color case hardened.
I wish I could find a 7600 with the "enhanced" roll engraved receiver.

Here ya go, somebody, not original but........http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8612081/Remington_760_pump_270#Post8612081

I picked up a 760 in .257 Roberts for my son to get started in deer hunting. It came with a fixed 3X scope that I replaced with a 3-9. With handloads, it put 3 shots into a 3" group at 300 yards. My son killed two deer and I used it on a pig. Great shooter and mild recoil, even with the aluminum buttplate.

Back