Remington 870 - carrier wont lift

Ok, Mine is like yours with no spring on the left side [#42] this is most likely for ease of disassembly.

What you need to look at is parts #59 through #63.

These are the parts of the dog. If your dog follower [#63] has good spring, then we need to look toward the bolt.IMO

OK, somthing else I am reading now may be helpful here.

I put this 870 together from parts.

Apparently there is a newer and older style slide? Anyway to tell which one I need? I am guessing I have the wrong one?

Originally Posted By: im4flightAll those parts look good to me.

Does that mean the bolt is worn out?

For some reason you are able to actuate the carrier by hand, but the bolt is not able to.

The top of dog is not broken in any way?

When you look at the slide, does it have a notch out on both sides [left and right] close to the middle? the notch out on the left would be the actuating point for the dog.

I can post a pic of mine.

I just dont know how they may have changed stuff. Mine is fairly new.

Yep, notches out of both sides, on the left side the notch is kind of an "L" shape notch. It looks like on the newer ones it is more rectangular on both sides?

I am using a trigger assembly from an old 870.

There should also be a long oval notch on the left side.

I will post pics of mine. Then you tell me if they jive.

Give me just a minute or two.

870slide003.jpg

870slide001.jpg

Does this look like yours?

No, the left notch is shaped like an "L" which looks similar to your oval and the left notch combined. But that could be the answer.

I would say so. Change the slide, or the trigger group. Anyway those two must have to be matched in style.

I hope all of this has helped.

The notch in the top of the dog is what catches on the inside of the oval on the slide. That catch, pushes the dog down as the slide moves forward, actuating the carrier. If the dog does not catch on the slide, the slide can't make the dog push down, and thus actuating the carrier.

Duh, the "carrier dog". I couldn't think of the name, all I could picture was the way the little "hook" (the carrier dog) looks at the rear of the carrier. Usually the dogs are silver, and they're hook shaped (hook pointing rearward), with a little plunger spring on the side of the trigger goup. The dog could be broken, the carrier broken on that side, the plunger stuck, etc. In my experience, when the plunger sticks, or the carrier arm breaks, they won't come DOWN. Since yours isn't raising, I'd guess the head of your dog is broken.

Thanks for everyones help. I think it is the slide not matching up to the carrier dog. My slide does not have that whole in it for whatever reason. Will pick up another one and see what I get.

Back