Remington 7400???

LUCKYDOG

I have a chance to pick one up in .308. I have never shot one but my buddy has one in 30.06 he swears by. I like the idea of it but I don't want a jamomatic or real bad accuracy. I don't need clover leaf groups at 899 yards, I need acceptable accuracy for hunting at 300 yards. Just wondering what your experience with this caliber and rifle were. Thanks.

Last edited:
I got one in .270 and the accuracy is more than acceptable atleast with mine. Mine is capable of MOA to slightly less than MOA.

HSHDshellTOYBlizzard055.jpg

Chupa

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGIs that a 50mm objective? Nice looking rig!!

44mm actually. I've had that gun since I was 14 and hardly ever shoot it, infact it hasn't been fired in probably 3 years as of now. The scope is a Simmons .44Mag(YUCK!) and needs to be replaced. But to be honest, I forget about it......Out of sight, out of mind. Maybe a new Redfield Revolution is in order? And a new recoil pad. I don't know if this is synonomous with 7400's, but believe it or not, this thing kills at both ends. That is the heaviest recoiling rifle I own.......and I'm not recoil shy either.

Chupa

Have two in '06. Both reasonable accuracy. Both had problems. One so severe it required prying nearly brand new. Resale was not good at all. For me a great example of buy once, the Browning.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThe Michigan "jam-o-matic". They keep the gun smiths busy here in the fall.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
It don't matter if it jams alot, you Michigan boys can't shoot for shyt anyway!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

All kidding aside, Tim don't tell too many fibs and I've heard the same about them jamming. Even though I own one........I have little experience with them. About 2 years after buying the 7400, I bought me a 700 CDL in .30-06 and stopped using my 7400. My CDL don't jam, I can tell you that.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke700 in an '06 !

Yer learnin ....
thumbup1.gif

That's my "BOOMSTICK!"

I can hunt everything from HOGS to HELICOPTERS with it.

Chupa

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Tim Neitzke700 in an '06 !

Yer learnin ....
thumbup1.gif

That's my "BOOMSTICK!"

Chupa

If your deer are in helicopters i'll stay in Ohio! Next thing ya know their gonna shoot back!
tongue.gif

Originally Posted By: Mike21Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Tim Neitzke700 in an '06 !

Yer learnin ....
thumbup1.gif

That's my "BOOMSTICK!"

Chupa

If your deer are in helicopters i'll stay in Ohio! Next thing ya know their gonna shoot back!
tongue.gif

It's ok, they can't shoot for shyt either.....Not having opposable thumbs is a bytch.

HSHDshellTOYBlizzard008.jpg

I said CDL earlier, it's obviously a BDL. I'm tired.........and eat alot of lead paint.

Chupa

Couldn't give me a 742/7400

Every year I have to help my next door neighbor get his ready for the upcoming deer season. His hunting buddy also has one. Sorry if this offends but absolute garbage IMHO.

I won a 7400, in 270 Win. It shot around 1 MOA, and I never
had a cycling problem with mine. BUT, after doing some
research as to why Remington 742/7400s have reliability
issues, I learned they slowly beat themselves to jam-o-matic
state. So as a low round count hunting rifle, they may have
a life time or two of reliable operation. Unfortunately I
don't own "low round count" rifles very long. I shoot a lot,
so I sold my pretty Remington 7400 to my brother, who is a box
of ammo every few years, kind of guy. I wanted to trade it on
a Browning BAR Lightweight Stalker in 308 Win. The gun store
low balled the trade-in value, so I told my brother what the
store had offered, and sold it to him for that. He got a
deal, and I paid cash for the new Browning. If you want a
reliable semi-auto hunting rifle, that will stay reliable, for
many years, buy a Browning BAR.

Squeeze

If you like the handling, etc of the 7400 look for a 7600 pump. A whole different animal and fun to shoot. Around here you'll see 10 used 7400's in the shop for every used 7600. Many of them are expensive single shots.

I had a 7400 BDL in .280 Remington, it shot 3.5" groups with open sights. I never shot it scoped. It never jammed once on me, but I let it go because it wasn't easy to clean the right way and I believed people on the internet, that talked them down. The guy that has it now I have kept in slight contact with and he has it shooting sub-MOA with his load and a 3-9x40 Bushnell. I have a slight attachment to rifles and I usually stay in contact with their owners, incase they wanna sell it. I usually have quite a bit of sellers remorse...

A lot of sound advice in this thread...

*Remington semi-auto's have a well earned reputation for being problematic (pun intended).
smile.gif

*Remington pump guns are golden! Truly a great trouble free design with excellent accuracy potential.

*If you really want a semi-auto the Browning BAR is nearly a bulletproof investment. As is an AR-15 of some sort.

I had a nice looking 7400 in .243 Winchester. It would shoot right at MOA with 100 grain bullets, but hated 85's. Since I like to shoot 85 grain Sierra's I sold the rifle. In the time I had it probabley shot 3 or 4 hundred rounds through it without a single malfunction. I used the chamber brush that came with it regulary to keep the chamber clean.

Back