Remington 700 Won't Shoot Anymore?????

Quote:So the only thing I have done to this rifle since it shot 1/2 to 3/4 groups was change the stock then change stock back decoppered my barrel and a bedding job.

when did you clean the copper from your barrel, after you took the synthetic stock off and put the wood back on? or before you changed any stocks around? did you pillar bed it or just glass bed? i have a 222 that shot 3 rounds almost in the same hole at 100yds. and i decided to clean the copper out of it. now i would be lucky to see 2in. groups. i shot 150 rounds out of the barrel and still see 2in. groups. lesson learned,i will not clean my rifles until the accuracy starts to fade.

Originally Posted By: schroederI bedded the rifle for Mike. I have done several and they have all turned out great. After trying the synthetic stock, we did try the original wood stock again and it still shot like s#*t. That is why we decided to bed it. I don't bed using the action bolts. I use headless 1/4-28 x 5 bolts that protrude all the way through the stock and keep the barrel and action leveled with tape wrapped around the barrel in two spots and the rear of the tang setting on small part of the stock where I don't auger it out. I did not install pillars as I didn't have any made up and goat season is coming quick. We have tried two stocks, bedded the wood stock, two scopes, and various factory and handloads. Next step is to look at the action screw torque. If thats not it, ????.

You bedded the stock like I do.

How much torque did you put on the bolts? Without Pillars if you used inch pounds it will crush the stock. Did the synthetic stock have pillars also or is it one of the cheaper ones without the bedding block. There is nothing wrong with only being hand tight. Like I posted brfore check your bottom metal to make sure you don't have any cracks in the bolt holes. How about your Scope base have you checked that is it possible they are loose.

No torque wrench was used only hand tight. No the synthetic does not have any pillars. The bottom metal is in great shape. Scope bases are tight have checked them twice.

Yesterday we went out and shot it again after checking everything over. We took winchester supreme 85 gr BT 117 gr hornady light mags 100 gr nosler partion handloads and my 117 gr handloads. Here is the strange part both 117 gr loads shot im guessing a 16 inch group fricking terible. 100gr load shot 10 to 12 inch group again terible. the 85 gr load shot 2 1/2 inch group which is awsome compared to everything elese we tried but still terible compared to how this rifle shot before the stock exchanges. I have had the stock off this gun a few times in the past and always tightend by hand and had no issues.

If this wasn't my first Deer Rifle I bought and paid for myself it would be heading down the road by now.

Mike

Sounds to me like you are focused on the stock, when the real problem is the barrel. If it was cleaned when the stock was removed and you removed the copper from the barrel you need to foul that baby up. I had a 700 in 243, that easily took 50-75rnds to "foul in" after I copper cleaned the bore. After scratching my head, bedding, still shot like crap till i got the round count up. Then it shot great for the next hundred or so rounds. After that experience with that gun, I never cleaned the copper out of it again, just cleaned with a powder solvent and alcohol.

700's come with a pressure tab on the stock near the end of the forearm.
Some of them need it and some shoot fine without it. Do the folded up
matchbook between the forearm and barrel with a few different pressures
and see what happens. 800 Rounds hot is enough to burn out a throat and
also a ding in the crown is a high possibility with grouping that bad.

"Yesterday we went out and shot it again after checking everything over. We took winchester supreme 85 gr BT 117 gr hornady light mags 100 gr nosler partion handloads and my 117 gr handloads. Here is the strange part both 117 gr loads shot im guessing a 16 inch group fricking terible. 100gr load shot 10 to 12 inch group again terible. the 85 gr load shot 2 1/2 inch group which is awsome compared to everything elese we tried but still terible compared to how this rifle shot before the stock exchanges."

To shoot that bad it has to be something in the sighting system. A rifle itself can't suddenly get that bad no matter what you do to it. Another clue that it is the sighting system is that the rounds with less recoil shoot a lot better.

Jack

hi got the same problem. it all started with a new trigger so i did a floating barrel job and removed the pressure point at the tip of the stock .after this accuracy went wild 2 inches high next shot 3 inches to the left got it back to zero only for the next shot to be off to the right again so i put a new scope on it still no good . all the screws given a tighten still no good. bedding job next and a re crown got the rifle back and went to the range first 20 or so rounds still not shooting right but the more rounds i put through it the better it got. i did start cleaning the barrel before the new trigger was installed after each outing so it was not barrel fouling that was affecting accuracy. this rifle is also a remington 700 bdl in 243. this rifle has always had a problem the first shot from a cold barrel is always high after the first shot it will return to zero and stay at zero all day this problem may also now be solved all seams well now only time will tell'

Originally Posted By: Jack Roberts"Yesterday we went out and shot it again after checking everything over. We took winchester supreme 85 gr BT 117 gr hornady light mags 100 gr nosler partion handloads and my 117 gr handloads. Here is the strange part both 117 gr loads shot im guessing a 16 inch group fricking terible. 100gr load shot 10 to 12 inch group again terible. the 85 gr load shot 2 1/2 inch group which is awsome compared to everything elese we tried but still terible compared to how this rifle shot before the stock exchanges."

To shoot that bad it has to be something in the sighting system. A rifle itself can't suddenly get that bad no matter what you do to it. Another clue that it is the sighting system is that the rounds with less recoil shoot a lot better.

Jack

From all I have read so far it does sound like what Jack has said about it being in the sighting system.

One other thing you might check is the metal that forms the magazine not being in correct. If it is installed incorrectly it would put the action under stress But I do not think it would make it shoot as bad as it does but you can never rule it out.

Even with that me thinks as Jack does.

I have had the point of impact change and the group go to [beeep] from not properly putting action back in the stock , BUT NEVER even close to what you describe.

I am a fan of the Wheeler fat wrench for tightening scope mounts, rings and action screws to the proper torque.

DAB

Loads change as a barrel gets wear on it. A change in powder charge(more) plus an adjustment on seating depth is usually all that is required.

I have bedded a lot of plastic stocks, only two have worked out...rather go to the dentist than to try and get a plastic stock to shoot tiny groups. All you have to do is grip the gun a little tighter and watch the point of impact shift in the scope....hard to impossible to get a rifle to shoot well with that kind of flexing.

Back