Remington 700 VLS in 22-250 ???

Ive got the VLS in a 22-250. I had to hog out the Barrel channel to get it to shoot worth a dang. Then after a glass and pillar bed job, it shoots .5in. groups at 200 yards with Berger 52gr. match HP. Besides the initial tinkering, it is an awfully good shooting gun.

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback!
Now I'm getting all enthusiastic ...
And I still got 2 1/2 weeks to go until payday .....

me!

I know that feeling. I've got a brand new AR upper, a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40mm, and some other accessories waiting at home for me, and I'm deployed overseas right now. Ordered it all while I've been over here. It's even worse when it's paid for and you can't use it. I promise...

I should add that a 55gr. bullet is exactly what I've been using out of my VSF and it, too, has a 1:14" twist rate. It has sacked loads of prairie dogs - no problems providing stability or accuracy well past 500 yards.

I owned that exact rifle and it was a good shooter. 55 gr. V-Max and Varget produced solid 3/4 inch groups. I did swap out the laminte for a Police sniper stock because I found the laminate was so easy to scratch and ding.
The rifle disasembled with with ease and was a joy to shoot. I have since bought a Remington Model 700 VSSF in a 220 swift and am waiting for it to arrive at my door. You can never loose going with a Model 700 as they hold their value quite well and have so many after market accessories.

Cheers!!

The 700 VS can be another outstanding option, especially if you want a gun you can easily customize later on. Like the VSF, it has an H-S precision stock, just minus the palm swell of the VSF.

Quote:
I have two Rem VS's. Same thing as the VLS except for the stocks.

One is a .223 and the other is a .308.

Both shoot 1/2" regular. I've shot better groups on a few days, but they usually stick around 1/2" with my reloads.

Rem700custom600pixel.jpg

I customized a 700 VS that was found in incredible shape in Gander Mountain's used rifle section. It was very well taken care of and actually selected by a friend of mine who was browsing the racks when I wasn't around; he knew I was looking for a used gun that I could turn into a helluva project rifle and actually dropped the deposit for me.

It's a lefty 700 VS that started life as a .308 Win. I have highly modified and specialized it as a dedicated long-range prairie dogger:

-Rebarreled with a Kreiger stainless steel 1:12" twist custom barrel
-Rechambered to 6mm Remington
-Added custom muzzlebrake
-Glass bedded
-Action trued/blueprinted
-Helical bolt fluted (purely for fun)
-Trigger lightened to ~1.5lbs.

Any gunsmith worth his salt can trick the hell out of any 700. In my case, all the work was done by Rich Reiley at High Tech Customs in Colorado Springs, CO. Linefinder has had several bits of work done by this guy as well and has been equally pleased. This is how I reach out and touch them past 600 yards.

I've had a long standing love affair with the Model Seven.
I've wanted one since the mid-80's when a friend got one.
Got the first - a .223 - about 3 years ago.
Now I own two; one in .223 and one in 7mm-08. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I just love the size!
I've bedded and free floated both.
Both stocks are cut to 12 3/4" to fit me.
I've adjusted the triggers to suit me.
I've gotten a couple 1/2" groups out of each with factory loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm trying to fit a Richards stock to the 7mm-08... It's not going very well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ... I am NOT a woodworker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ... I may end up chalking it up to experience and buying a factory take-off laminated stock for it... Or... I may just make you guys very happy and keep it with the synthetic stock! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't wait to get my first 700 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .....

Thanks again for all your input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

me!

337452.jpg

Back