Remington 700 SPS 22-250

I dont like slings either. Although I do have a shooters sling on my 660. Just for the winter months for hands free snowshoeing......otherwise, I carry my rifle by hand, all day, all the time and the 700 22-250 is quite a load after a day of hunting......

Originally Posted By: BPSI had the same issue a few months back, with my Rem 700 VS in 22-250.

I did a little research & ended up buying a Barrel Vise & Action Wrench, from a member here.

Along with a 24" sporter take off barrel & stock from a different member here.

It took me all of 5 minutes to rebarrel my 22-250, Its a featherweight now & a joy to pack while hunting yotes.

I can swap barrels & stocks & go shoot ground squirrels in just a few minutes.

I just need to re sight in after I swap barrels, POI is not that much different between the 2 barrels, but there is a slight difference.

Lee

It's not that easy!!!!! You need to headspace the rifle when you switch the barrel. Several ways to accomplish that. Put a rim nut on by Pac-Nor, buy a custom ground recoil lugs made by PTG, or have the barrel set back and rechamber by a gunsmith . And in no way should anyone pull one barrel off of a Remington and put on another one without adjusting headspace. Headspace is the most important thing on a rifle and if you don't check this when you rebarrel or switch barrel your gun, headspace can and will kill someone.

Get you a Eberlestock pack. It will carry your rifle and all your gear into the stand. Also has a hydration bladder pocket so you can keep hydrated.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: sage ratthats why i pack a savage

Because a Savage heavy barrel is lighter than a Remington heavy barrel??

dont use a heavy barrel,thats why

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 204farr
It's not that easy!!!!! You need to headspace the rifle when you switch the barrel.

No offence, but it was that easy, The head spacing was checked, along with the bolt lugs, no smith work was required.

Thank God for Remington's close tolerances.

Lee

I'm sorry, I have to laugh. I'm 63 years old and have worked behind a desk for 30 years. Since the time I was in my 30's I've hunted with heavy barreled varmint rifles. I don't consider myself in great shape either. According to my doctor I'm 15 lbs overweight.

Yesterday I hunted coyotes in OH, must have walked 1 mile carrying my Rem 700 SPS VS which weighs 12 lbs. I'm leaving in a little while to go out again today. All of you have to be in better shape then me.

Take that heavy SPS to the range and shoot with the guys that own those whippy thin barrels and you'll see the benefit of a heavy gun for long range work.

When the day comes that I can no longer varmint hunt with a heavy barreled gun I'll quit hunting.

Last edited:
Back