Remington 700 LVSF issues

The_Professor

I recently picked up a remington 700 lvsf and accuracey isnt to great, any one use this rifle or have any tips or tricks to improve it??????

I have two of them (17 Rem and 221 FB) and they are untouched as far as out of box condition (except for trigger adjustment) and both shoot extremely well.

Its a factory rifle..... It could be anything from bedding, scope, etc. to muzzle crown. Good luck....

-BCB

Try putting a piece of a credit card under the action between the recoil lug and front screw and tighten it back down. Shoot it and see if your groups improve any. If they do, float the barrel properly, If they do not try moving the card to the tip of the stock and shoot it again. It may need more pressure on the barrel

The stock on these is not ideal for bedding because it is a little flimsy. That being said I did have it bedded and it did help the accuracy. Mine is 17 Rem and it would shoot a little over an inch and then it shrunk to about 3/4 inch and maybe with some more load development it might do better than that.

thanks guys, its a .223, shooting hornady 55gr. vmax factory loads and has a bushnell elite 4-12x 40. however i bought this gun used and someone had free floated or attempted to free float it, i know from the factory remingtion bedded these rifles at the front of the barrel on both sides sort of like a v-block, and i belive the previous owner may have just trashed this stock making mods himself, and yes the stocks on these rifles are very flimsy

Try putting the card piece at the end of the stock to apply pressure again. most thin barreled rifles I've done shoot better with contact on the forend tip. If it works you can either bed the tip or go as far as drilling the stock and making a small detent screw to apply different amounts of pressure

scope installation and clarity, bedding, floating, trigger, sandbags and a calm day. Too many real nice rifles out there with cheap scopes- gun is only as good as its sights. Then you work up the load. good luck.

Proff...sounds like maybe the previous owner may have experienced ur same issues and that's why you now own it.....what are ur groups doing&size...random clusters,vertical or horiz stringing?

as an after thought...did rifle come with scope already mounted?...check the entire mount sys...remove everything even bases & re-assemble...maybe a diff scope cud eliminate a possible "suspect".

My Rem 700 LVSF is a 221 Fireball. Yes, the synthetic stock (model POS) is very flimsy. My gun would not hold a constant point of impact until I folded a business card in half and wedged it under the barrel at the front end of the stock.

I replaced it with a Boyd's Laminate thumbhole. This is it. The gun is a very accurate gun now that it has a rigid stock.

NewStock2.jpg

I've often wondered how many of the folks who think that the LVSF stock is a flimsy POS think that B&C stocks hung the moon..

Just curious....

-BCB

Back