Rem 700 ADL light strikes on the primer

Originally Posted By: baitpileB23, will have a set of bump gauges inbound for sure.

They are well worth the price of admission.
thumbup1.gif

Baitpile, if you have a set of vernier calipers, for a quick gauge you can slide the shell holder over the case neck and measure the base to the shoulder where the shell holder contacts the case, comparing it to a fire formed case.

Hmmmmm...well crap!!! Using the shell holder as a gauge(thanks for the tip junki), everything is measuring up identical. All brands and reloads. Well, within a .001 using the shell holder. Loaded round measures 1.900 to the shoulder and the same fired formed brass 1.910 to the shoulder. That was PMC, Fed AE, and reloads in Speer brass. Crap!!Any thoughts on harder primers used in that particular brand(AE)??? I do appreciate all the conversation guys!!! Thank You!!! JH

The shellholder trick is a bit iffy in my book, but somewhat better than nothing. The headspace gauges will tell you what's up measuring fired rds. From what you posted the ammo shot in another rifle after failure to fire in your ADL. Sounds like your chamber is a fuzz on the big side, and the cheap ammo is made on the small side to work better in gas guns.

If that's true ,there's a fair chance that fired rds from your ADL won't chamber in the rifle used to fire the first round of ftf rounds. Flip side of that would be fired rds from the second rifle may well chamber in your ADL if the chamber is a little large. Not a big deal if roll your own, but as you see it might dictate what factory stuff you use.

Bp, I lived in Manly, Buffalo Center. One of the guys I shoot prairie dogs with purchased Fiocchi 204 ammo last summer. It was .01 short of Rem,Hor after firing. Most of the primers pushed out .004-.005 ", I necked sized, put CCI br primers in for a OWC test, no issues all the way to max in the book. Pushed the shoulder to "normal". So primer quality and brass size can vary alot between manufacturers, and even lot to lot in same brand. If after measuring headspace you find them short, 1. Contact Federal you will probably get replacement ammo. 2. Pull the bullets, put in some hard primers and shoot some starter loads to reform the brass. Try for new ammo first.

Tim, I think you are absolutely spot on!! I do roll my own and that's all I will be shooting through this rifle.So, I agree, not a big deal. This has been my thought process through the whole deal, but kind of anal about wanting to know exactly what the cause is...just so I know. But I think you are right on!!
Spot, grew up in Lake Mills. I think what you describe is the very same thing going on here. I would suspect Federal is squeezing them a bit, especially in this bulk stuff, for all the gas guns, as Tim stated. I would bet my chamber is just a fuzz big, but within spec. Most of the Fed shoots, but you get that couple that won't. The two other brands tested and my reloads, all performed flawlessly. I'll continue to dink around, grab a head space gauge, but not going to lose sleep I guess. This was just a project gun I got into for cheap!! Thanks guys, you are top notch!!! JH

I love cheap guns that can be played with and experimented on. Would never play around on my custom barrel rifles. Really was a head shaker seeing brass 6 thousandth short of headspace after firing, wish I would have had his ammo before firing. That brass(fired) Would not fit my 204(TC)so his Savage chamber is very different from mine.

Okay fellas, a little more data...Just took 3 of the light strike rounds and pulled the bullets. Without touching the case, I popped the primers and reloaded them with CCI primers and amax's. Boom...all fired flawless. I'm leaning towards hard primers, maybe weak firing pin spring?? However, bump gauges are still in route. Don't worry guys, I go back to work tomorrow night and will leave you alone a bit.
smile.gif
Also, Tim, the fired brass I just shot chambers very smoothly into my M77 Ruger...so guessing,the brass/shoulder isn't out of line spec wise.Also, forgot to mention, The primers went in just a little tough and I had a high side/burr on one of the rounds. After firing, that burr was mashed flat,smooth, flush. This tells me the case stayed tight into the bolt face.

Last edited:
Maybe it is just the cheap ammo.? The headspace gauges should tell you what's up. You also need the lock and load O.A.L gauge, the modified cases in the cartridges you load, and the bullet comparators too. If your loading without these items... you are guessing. One of the requirements for making accurate ammo is taking the variables out. You'll wonder how you lived without this stuff when you use it. Good Luck.

Okay fellas, my final verdict is in. Bump gauges are here. Measured up fired brass from a couple different chambers, including this ADL, all was identical. I found a .001 different on some cases, but the majority was identical. All primers looked perfect/normal. Put in a new Wolff firing pin spring and zero light strikes on the bulk Fed AE crap. I am calling my chamber good head space wise and a weak firing pin spring. Having said that, I believe the old spring would have shot reloads for years, but I now have a spring I know is new, and, it will shoot the crap ammo as well. I'm good to go for what I got in that gun
smile.gif
. I absolutely appreciate the conversation here!!! All excellent help and I learned a whole lot, not only on this gun, but for future reloading and the whole picture!!! Thank You Everyone!!! JH

Greg, I did do that, guess I just didn't lay all that out in text here. I guess what I was saying is that a couple different chambers I have here in .223, seem to be the same size...head space speaking. The brass was fire formed to the same shoulder bump, for comparison. I have measured the unfired and compared those to the fired brass out of this ADL chamber and found .001-.002 difference. Hopefully I am typing that right.

You focused on the firdd but if the new stuff id only 0.001 you found your cure for sure on the factory fodder. Congratulations on entring the world of reliability.

Now let's see some groups.

Greg

I second ninehorses, try the scotch tape trick on the head of your round before closing the bolt. It sounds like you've already figured out its more of an ammo issue than a gun issue.

Okay fellas, all the ugly is cured and everything is operational. This was a cheapo ADL, plastic stock project that I wanted to make into a nice little calling rifle. New firing pin spring, Timney trigger, Hogue stock(keep the budget down and works good for a carry rifle), PTG drop in bottom metal, Talley rings. Sub MOA but may tweak my loads just a bit. Definitely minute of coyote!!
.223 build from ADL by jrhranch, on Flickr

I like the rifle, the Hornady 50 gr sx will save you sewing time with the 223. They smack coyote hard with no exit inside 200 yards, start them +3200.

I think I will give those a whirl Spot. Been wanting to try something other than the standard ballistic tip stuff. It is a very smooth running gun.

Back