Reloading shot shells????

pyscodog

What kind of equipment do you use? I been looking at getting started loading shotgun shells but not sure how hard I want to get into it. Looking for advice.

You can start with a single stage shotshell loader like a MEC for pretty cheap. Or you could get a MEC 9000 for about $300. I used to load a lot of shotgun when I shot sporting clays. Lead got so expensive lately you can buy shotgun shells cheaper than loading. Unless your needing a specific load.

For hunting loads a Mec 600 Junior or a Mec Sizemaster will get the job done.

You should be able to find used ones at a decent price.

I would stay away from the progressive loaders unless you are going to reload lots of target loads.

I have a Mec Grabber that I reload my Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays loads with. For my hunting loads I use an old Mec 600 Junior.

The main advantage of reloading shotgun shells is you can reload loads that you can't buy.

I got into it recently, purely for that last point Bob made. Bought a used but like new Sizemaster for $80. Been having a lot of fun making loads I can't buy and killing coyote with them.

- DAA

I have a friend with a Mec 600 I can get pretty cheap but talked to a guy today with a Mec 9000 that I can get pretty reasonable too. A friend that reloads his own says it cost him about $4.50 to load a box of 25 rounds. I can get Win Target loads at wally world for $5.48. Almost doesn't seem worth the trouble other than being able to taylor your loads. I'm not sure what I want to do just yet.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a friend with a Mec 600 I can get pretty cheap but talked to a guy today with a Mec 9000 that I can get pretty reasonable too. A friend that reloads his own says it cost him about $4.50 to load a box of 25 rounds. I can get Win Target loads at wally world for $5.48. Almost doesn't seem worth the trouble other than being able to taylor your loads. I'm not sure what I want to do just yet.

I have been shooting nothing but 7/8 oz and 1 oz loads at targets since 2004. I can't handle the recoil of the cheap promo 1-1/8 oz shells. There is nowhere to buy light target loads near where I live.

I enjoy reloading shotgun shells and I do save some money loading the light target loads. If you don't buy powder, primers and wads in large quantities from the right places you won't save any money.

If you want to reload 12 ga predator loads you can reload some great loads that are not being made and they work great.

I have 3 600 jr's that I use nice running machines. 1 is set up for 20ga and the other 2 for 12 2 3/4 and 3 inch. I bought the adjustable charge bar. I do everything from dove loads to turkey and deer slugs.
J

If you don't know how much you want to reload or don't shoot that much imo you'd be better of with a single stage unless you got a smoking good deal on progressive. With a 600jr I could load 6-7 boxes in an hour. When I shot a lot of trap and did a lot of dove hunting I got a progressive. I also liked running the hulls through a super sizer as a separate operation since they will shape the brass better and feed better in autos.

As far as reloading cheap light loads, unless you buy your components in very large quantities it'll never pay off in comparison to Walmart's value pack shells.

Hull selection is important. I had AA for competitions but for hot dove loads or local skeet shooting I'd use cheap Rio hulls since most people don't pick them up at the club's reload em once or twice and if I lost some it wasn't a big deal.

I know this is long winded but the main advantage is making your own combinations with the wad and primer and such. You can save a fair amount of money on hot loads and steel shot but light loads really aren't worth messing with.

The main reason I have been thinking about reloading shot shells is 1 oz is the lightest I can buy over the counter. I wanted to go to 7/8 oz for skeet. Its a little easier on the shoulder. I'm not good enough to be competitive and I only shoot about once a week, sometimes not that much, but I do enjoy it.

One of my friends is a serious shot gunner,(he shoots a $17,000 Krieghoff), He has 4 MEC's and swears by them.

Here Kitty Kitty

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOne of the guys I shoot with has four also. Mec 9000, 20,28,12 and 410. He's also got a 600 on the shelf, just in case. Lol

Sounds like my buddies set-up..........His wife told him he had to back to work if he wanted that shot gun. Home Depot here we come..............

Here Kitty Kitty

Last edited:
I load 12 &20 ga i cant complain about my two mec 600 jr but at some point gonna get a mec 9000 for 12 ga . I load win double a hulls my best 12 ga load is 18.2 gr of clays waa 12 wads cheddite primers and 1 1/8 oz of 7.5 shot in 20 ga i load win double a hulls waa20 wads cheddite primers and 7/8 oz of 7.5 shot & 17.2 grs of h universal powder for my hunting loads i use 5 shot but going to switch to h long shot powder for hunting loads . I also make all my shot now . Its work but saves me lots of money my boys shoot lots of trap and sporting clays and skeet which is my game but for the money u cant beat a mec 600 jr you can pick them up pretty cheap
Here is my shot maker double drippers8.5 drippers

I use a Ponsness Warren 375-C single station.

I use it to load goofy loads that I cannot buy - 3" 12ga Mags with #7-1/2 shot, and 28ga with #11 or #12 shot.

Last edited:
I have Mec 600's in 12, 16, and 20ga. They have been around so long that they are nearly foolproof, have a problem with one and you can get help in a minute. I load a lot of 2 1/2" shells in 12 and 16ga for my old Euro guns, Mec makes a short shell kit. I shoot 11/16 oz of 9's for skeet and 7/8oz of 8's for trap and SC in my 12's.

I have four MEC 600 Jrs. One in 10, 12, 20, and 28 gauges. I spend the cold winter months, loading shotgun ammo for the Summer trap season, and hunting ammo for any time, and any gun, when I get to hunt. It has been a long time since I have shot lead shot factory ammo, except these new Winchester XR Longbeard loads, for my 12 ga. 3.5...Hard to beat that load, even hand crafting Hevi-shot loads in my 10 ga.! So there are rare cases where it makes sense to just shoot factory, but in general, I can beat the cost/quality of factory ammo, pulling on those MEC loader handles. I do buy my components from my local trap club, so that helps a bunch with cost.

Squeeze

Back