Redfeild vs vortex

Cramer

Ok I am leaning towards a Redfeild Revolution in 4-12x40 but the vortex crossfire has also caught my eye. The redfeild has good reviews but what really sells it to me is the Leupold warranty. Whatever i get will be going on an AR for nothing more than 400 yards probably. Anyone have a suggestion?

The Vortex warranty will meet, or beat the Leupold/Redfield warranty and is in writing. Vortex stands behind their product 100%. Leupold does as well, but Vortex's warranty is in writing for full replacement whether it's a manufacturer defect OR abuse.

Last edited:
While I am not a fan of any low cost scopes, the Vortex warranty is one of the best in the industry. Now if you stepped up a bit, The Vortex Viper series (which I own three of) and the Viper PST (which I have one of on order in FFP) would be my choices. Vortex will be offering their Viper PST line in a hunting style scope, later this summer, called the "Viper HS" series also.

Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfittersThe Vortex warranty will meet, or beat the Leupold/Redfield warranty and is in writing. Vortex stands behind their product 100%. Leupold does as well, but Vortex's warranty is in writing for full replacement whether it's a manufacturer defect OR abuse.

Nothing really to add since I have no vortex experience. I've bought 2 or 3 redfields in the last couple years, happy with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL at indy...i posted something about this once...i will give the abridged version...the warranty game.

Scope cost to manufacture by the 10,000..each piece 14.00 U.S.

Cost to consumer each piece 169.95.

You pay shipping to send it back for replacement,,,,how many times can you do this till you say screw it,,and just buy another scope?...how many times can they send you a shiny new one.,,on your dime, until they lose money?

I would not bet in vegas,,they ever lose.

X

I.E covering abuse=they can afford to send you some replacements and still make money.

Follow my IJK thread,,for more info...

X

well, noone has said it yet so i guess it's my turn to be the bad guy here. don't waste your hard earned money on cheap scopes. everyone wants to spend as little as possible and get decent quality out of a scope. it wont happen. the way i see it, you have to spend $250-$500 to get a scope you can count on. many of us [myself included] have played the cheap scope game and lost. save up a ittle more money, cry once, and enjoy the scope you waited for. spend as much on the glass as you did on the rifle and you should be ok with the quality of the optics.

I'd have to disagree. Not with don't buy 'cheap' glass, but with the limit. There's good glass in the 150-200 range that is more than enough for 80% of shooters. From what I've seen you reach a breaking point between cost and return. After a certain point you're paying 200% more for 5% 'better', and often then adding 100% on top for the name. All too often less expensive brands use the same optics as more expensive.

If I'm deer hunting, $150 good glass will work 100% as well as $2500 glass. If I'm in the 3% of shooters who are going for 1000 yard precision shooting, well I'm going to have to spend more
laugh.gif

I think most hunters are better off with a good budget scope and putting extra money into better Binos. You'll spend way more time looking through them than your scope. Personally when I upgraded from garbage to decent Binos I could spend a lot more time scouting with no eye fatigue and that alone made my hunts better than just about anything else I could have done.

Let me start by saying that in NO way am I an expert in optics. I do believe that most "Cheap" scopes are garbage and a dissapointment waiting to happen. I have had some "Cheap" scopes and some very expensive scopes ($1,000+), the VAST majority of the "Cheap" scopes have gone on to the happy hunting ground in the sky. However there are some very good "Value" optics out there. When I bought my first Redfield Revolution I wasn't expecting much, but was very pleasantly surprised at the quality for the dollar spent. IMO, if you would be well suited with a VX-II then the Revolution will not dissapoint you as they are very close in initial quality IMO. I use the term "Initial" because I have been using them for about a year and haven't really abused them yet. As of now, I would not hesitate to purchase another one.

Chupa

ndindy, true enough. i guess we just disagree at where the breaking point is as far as where the minimum quality price point is. or maybe i just add a few more dollars to a purchase as a buffer. i just don't want a fellow pm member to waste money on a couple cheap scopes that fail when they could get one good one to count on for years of good service. i've never regreted the extra time for saving a little more for decent scope. more than once i've bought what i could afford at the moment and been disappointed.

Well, I own three Redfield Revolutions and two Vortex's.

I've had occasion to test the Vortex warranty with a very minor issue recently. I contacted their customer service and explained the issue. The person I contacted handled the call courteously and ask me to return the scope. They paid all the shipping costs both ways and returned the scope in less than two weeks. I can say I was more than a little impressed!!

I have many hunting rifles and use them often in very extreme weather and terrain. They get beat around a lot and I've even destroyed two scopes completely after dropping them. In each case, no scope could have survived the fall. I've had occasion to test the warranty's of both companies and have not been disappointed with either, nor have I heard from anyone with a legitimate complaint about warranty from either.

IMHO, if a scope will hold its zero consistently and dependably, as both of these product have proven they do, never fog up in cold weather as I have experienced with a few very expensive scopes, they are the only way to go for a heavily used hunting rifle. I need them to draw light well, and they do, but a little more fuzziness than a $1000+ dollar scope has doesn't bother me in the field one bit.

The relatively new Vortex and Redfield products are each aggressively seeking a larger market share and I believe they are seeking it with quality and attractively low prices. IMHO, they don't deserve to be put in an inferior category common to so many products in their price range.

I believe they both provide the scopes we all look for... quality construction, bargain pricing, an exceptional warranty and products we can depend on...

JMHO.....

Well put TDC ...if it ever stops raining ,im gonna run a couple Hawke scopes(another inexpensive brand)through some tests and see how they do.

I may have a vortex in my future.,,i like the redfields,,i just have a plex 3x9,,but its light and clear.

X

I have two of the redfields a 3-9x40 and a 4-12x40. I am very happy with both. They both hold zero well and are clear enough and rugged enough for a hunting scope in my opinion. I dont think you would be dissapointed with the redfield. Great scopes for the price.

My only concern with the Vortex would be this......Will they still be around 10 years from now to cover that lifetime warranty?

Have a friend with one of the Redfield Revolutions and he is pretty happy with it.

I sure hope so cuz I just bought a pair of vortex binos and ill be pi$$ed id they go out of business. That said if their scopes are as clear as their bunks ill have to look into gettin me one

Vortex has been around since the mid 80's so I think that they have only grown more and more. Speaks well for their company IMO. Same ownership also. Redfield, well they have been sold a couple of times since the 80's, but I always liked their products. Today I like Vortex a little better though.

Originally Posted By: VAhuntrMy only concern with the Vortex would be this......Will they still be around 10 years from now to cover that lifetime warranty?

Have a friend with one of the Redfield Revolutions and he is pretty happy with it.

The concern whether Vortex will be around 10 years from now is one that should be addressed to all manufacturers. There is so much competition in the business some are bound to fold..

Other than to evaluate the warranty issue or make assumptions based on how long a company has been in business -- we have little else to go on. I believe we need to keep in mind that any company,no matter how long they have existed, could go out of business or discontinue production of scopes at any time. That fact is especially so in this current national and world economy.

I think there is a marked difference in companies interested in volume distribution and relatively new ones, like Redfield Revolution and Vortex, who are seeking to market a quality product in a very competitive environment. The new company must offer a higher quality product that is extremely price competitive to survive and continually gain market share.

They must offer, in this age of informational websites like this one, higher quality, excellent customer service and warranties, as well as seek a confirmation from their critical buyers that they've made a product worthy of strong support and acceptance. Otherwise their reputation and product is "dead meat."

Every indication I've observed "first hand" from Vortex is they are anxiously meeting all those challenges and are doing the things that will enable them to be in business for a long time. Many companies are not.....

I have serious issues with those who can only rate optics based on their pricing level. That may be the generally accepted norm, however, doing that automatically prejudices a reader against a "best buy for the buck" product, like Vortex or Redfield, and denies a fair evaluation of their offering based on those respective companies clear desire to give a buyer more quality at a remarkably better price..

I like both the Redfield Revolutions and the Vortex line. I would be hard pressed today to make a choice between those two product lines.... Check both scopes out for yourself in person. Most who have taken the time to do so have concluded they are excellent products and extremely well priced...

JMHO

Last edited:
I have a Redfield Revolution 2x7 and just purchased a Vortex 4x12x40. I like both. Kinda like the Vortex more. When deciding on a scope for my new RRA I read quite a few good replies on the Vortex line. I even found a good article in the NRAs American Hunter mag on the Diamondback model I purchased. If I'm in the market for another scope I will definitely look at the Vortex's. I do own two higher priced Nikons.

I have a vortex I put on my AR and then bought a leupold vxi to replace it. I still have the vortex on my AR. I think the vortex has a better FOV and about the same brightness. I like the vortex and I don't see them going anywhere, but up in the future. Just my .02

After extensive reading of reviews, I chose the Redfield 4-12x40 over the Vortex due to it's longer eye relief. I found nothing else that would put one over the other.

Back