Recieved my new WT today !!!!

BrianD

Came home from work today and it was here ! Had to go over to the PO and pick er up. I just listened to some of the sounds and man are they awesome. Some serious volume as well.. I can't wait to take it out this weekend,,, maybe I'll even sneak out tomorrow night for a bit. Man,,,I talked with Bill on Thursday night about some sounds and recieved the unit today.... Can't beat that with a stick... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BrianD,
Have at it and keep us informed! Good luck.
BTW still waiting patiently for my FP and this burger thing you mentioned isn't working out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ok BrianD,
Not many on here with WT calls so you are going have to post what experiences you have, both good and bad.

I've never held one in my hands but have heard they are heavy. How heavy is it and does it come with some kind of backpack or carrier.

Looking forward to your comments and stories.

BrianD, glad to here you got your caller. I think you will be happy with it. I have had a wt caller for about 5 years now and love mine. They are kind of pricey but worth the money in the long run in my opinion. mikegranger, I think the older models did weigh about 8 pounds but the newer models out now weigh about half of that. The remote took a little getting used to as far as what sounds are where but other than that I have had no complaints with mine. okhunter

The new WT weighs less than 4 lbs including battery. The first units weighed as much as 17 pounds . the old backpack model weighed just under 15. The units made a few years ago weighed in around 6 to 8 pounds depending on battery and amp. My current model weighs only a few onces. The remote worked at just over 3 miles for me the other day. (just wanted to see how far it would turn on and off and work volume up and down, as well as change sounds).
Brian have fun with the new caller.
Steve

Steve, you said the remote worked over 3 miles? Was that a misprint? How would you know it was working at 3 miles away? Just curious. Thanks.
dc

Brian,
Awesome deal! Let us know about the WT. I haven't heard much but believe it is awesome. Congrats and show us some cool pics.
Wish you all the best.

God Bless,

Song Dog

Steve Craig-- You said your present WT call weighs just a few ounces. Does that include the speaker and the main caller unit or just the main caller unit? I would appreciate it if you could post a picture of your new, light weight caller with something of a known size in the photo for reference.

I too would like to know if you made a typo when you said the remote worked at 3 miles from the main unit!!!!! I wonder how the FCC feels about that or maybe WT has special permission to make remotes that work up to that distance???

Thanks!

[I made a typo error on "typo"!!!]

BrianD , glad to see you got your caller. I was on their web site and read about the caller. It looks like a great caller and i hope you post more about it when you get it in the field. I hope it works as well as they say because they sure as heck charge enought for it. I'm sure you will like . Post some photos. That must be one hell of a remote to work at that distant. You won't have to carry the remote, just take the caller and call the wife at home on the cell and tell her to push the button on the remote for the call you want to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just kidding.

I dont know about 3 miles but Iknow mine works very good at 200 yds(thats as far as I've gotton from it) with my remote on the ground and never picking it up just pushing buttons where it laid.

No typo! I drove away, and left my client next to the caller. Drove 1/2 mile and stopped and tuned it on. Drove a mile and it worked great. Drove 2 miles and it worked great. Drove 3.2 miles and it worked great. I could hear the coyote howls very clearly from 3.2 miles away. Turned around and went back to the client. WT advertizes the remote to work from a mile away, and it does. I guess mine works a little farther. Up untill that time, the farthest I had used it was .7 miles. My client/student has a WT also and told me his had worked at that range and I didnt believe him, so we did the experiment.

Silverfox,
My unit weighs just under a pound with battery. this does not include the speaker. I have 3 different speakers for my caller and one of them weighs just under a pound also. My back up(which I have never ever had to use) unit weighs around 4 pounds with battery, as it is an older unit. I also have another unit that weighs about 7 pounds with battery and amp. The newest unit that is coming out soon is even lighter, but does have a heavier battery. At least that is what Bill told me recently. I have to laugh when some guys think that 4 pounds is heavy! A JS512 weighs about 7 pounds or so and that doesnt include the tapes for it. I have packed it around for many years before the WT came along.
Steve

howler, not for a wildlife photographer. The WT was originally built for photographers.

Hollywood uses most of the WT sound library and has for many years. Predator calling was never even considered during the developement stage.( one of the reasons it weighed so much in the beginning) The sound library was recorded a good 5 years before the actual caller was even designed. It did evolove into it's present state and I for one, am very glad it did. It is what I use and rely on and it has served me well for many years now, with zero breakdowns( unless you count the time a client shot mine with a 222Rem after his bullet exited a grey fox at just over 300 yards)!
Steve

Steve,

You "called" a greyfox in to 300 yards with the WT? It would be hard to see a grey at 300 yards, which is why I normally call them in to 25 yards with the Foxpro! Sorry, that was just too easy of a target.

Blake

Back