RCBS case tumbler motor going belly up!

Well, I just got off the phone with Midway and, as usual, their customer service was excellent. The recall was a very old one, as I suspected; so old that the first CS operator didn't know anything about it. She called in another person. I told him the tumbler had lots of miles on it but worked great and I hated to retire it if it was not a problem. He asked if there was an aluminum plate on the bottom; there is and he said the earlier versions (which gave the problems) did not have this plate so all is good!

I have lots of Dillon equipment and highly recommend their products and CS, but this old Midway tumbler has earned its keep as well. I suspect it was made by Frankfort Arsenal, but not sure.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: VanceOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGMy RCBS tumbler died, I replaced it with the above Frankford unit. It seems the RCBS ones don't last very long.

How long have you had yours, do you like it?

This is the one I'm considering right now.
I've had it for 4 years, it gets medium use. I like the clear lid, and build quality seems as good or better than the RCBS. I'd buy it again for sure. I got it in a package deal with the accessory blue media seperator squirrel cage and grey bucket, the squirrel cage works great but media spills on the ground a little and makes a mess. They have the same thing but in an enclosed container maybe that is less messy?

When I was looking, it seemed most of the units from the big names were very similar. Different color bowl but same shape and same threaded rod up the center, similar looking motor or base, etc. Maybe one manufacturer makes several of them for the big names? I dunno. None carry a lifetime warranty. I'm pleased with the Frankford.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishone option is to take it apart & get the model # off the motor, then just shop for that & see what you find. I've never taken one apart, so I'm not sure what you'll get into. Replacement could require some soldering, for example, or maybe adding some crimp connectors? I can't see it being too complicated though, it's just a simple motor that's either on or off.

That's what I would do. It's already shot so nothing to loose Someone made it for RCBS so they are out there someplace.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farishone option is to take it apart & get the model # off the motor, then just shop for that & see what you find. I've never taken one apart, so I'm not sure what you'll get into. Replacement could require some soldering, for example, or maybe adding some crimp connectors? I can't see it being too complicated though, it's just a simple motor that's either on or off.

I'm going to try this when it finally stops, right now I have it working after taking it apart and cleaning the bearings, and using a hammer a little.

But in the meantime, I have the Frankford Arsenal on the way and should be here today.

"using a hammer a little"

thumbup.gif

Back