Randy Anderson Howler Pack?

Texforce

Has anyone used this, and if so, how did you like it? I have plenty of experience w/turkey diaphragm calls, but have never used one for howling. Is there much of a learning curve going from yelping to howling? Thanks for any input. Good huntin'

It takes a little time to get used to using them, but if you have a lot of experience with turkey diaphragms then it shouldn't take long at all to learn. I like the sound that they produce better than the open reed howlers randy anderson has. The diaphragms sound more like a coyote to me.

Depends on the howler and who is using it. I've always got good results from cowhorn and buffalo horn howlers, so I will continue using them. If you like a diaphragm, by all means use it.

Originally Posted By: TexforceHas anyone used this, and if so, how did you like it? I have plenty of experience w/turkey diaphragm calls, but have never used one for howling. Is there much of a learning curve going from yelping to howling? Thanks for any input. Good huntin'

A few weeks ago, there was a pretty extensive thread regarding what calls make the most realistic sounds, etc, etc. It ended up being more heated than what was needed. Hopefully that topic is over and done with and will not start up again here. The bottom line is that you should use the call that YOU feel most comfortable with and can sound good with.

As an experienced turkey caller with a diaphragm, you will not have much of a problem learning how to make coyote vocals. Just like for turkey, you will find that there is a lot of difference between one brand and another, between how many reeds it has, and how the latex is stretched (among other things). After some practice with the Anderson diaphragms, try other brands and you'll settle on one or two. I bet possumal tried lots of howlers before he settled on cowhorn/buffalo horn.

I've had those diaphragms for 9 years, I think. Not sure when they first came out. Very durable for me. Like others said, you won't have a problem learning them. However, you can get good howls and distress sounds from your turkey diaphragms. I have several that I like.

I have a problem with open reed callers. Recently I saw a Knight & Hale easy howler on sale at Tractor supply. It has a red rubber thing that you blow in. The instructions said that you grunt into it. It sounded like a duck call. LOL In fact I will try it for ducks.

I learned over 30 years ago it doesn't matter what the call sounds like to you or me. Just matters if the critter your calling likes it or not.

First day out turkey hunting my brother-in-law was using a Smith diaphragm. Sounded just like a goose to me. Laughed my @ss off listening to him call. Three hours after daylight we were showing off 2 / 25 gobblers our first of many more.

Practice, practice practice!

When I moved from Indiana too Colorado I listened to the radio, got bored and then in went the Diaphragms!

I am pretty dang good!!
To me that is:)

when I was a kid I found a diaphragm in the fridge and asked what it was and dad said its a turkey call and showed me how its suppose to work. I about gaged several times and never used one up until about 3 years ago. my mouth is bigger now. I found out you can cut them to fit your mouth as well so you should never have the gagging problem you hear so many people talk about. put it in there where it is comfortable and just play around and see what you can come up with. you will soon find out you can position it a little different to get different sounds. diaphragms is all I use now. the only call that sounds better on a hand call then a diaphragm to me is a crow call. although I am starting to get it down pat with my diaphragm so that might change before long. "FOR ME" there is no comparison in realism and convenience. I can also make a lot of weird stuff like baby coon and baby fox or chicken distress or squirrel or rabbits or about anything you can think of and whip out a howl or start callin turkeys all with that one little call in my mouth that is hands free so I aint moving. IMO it is worth giving them a try. you aint got to start out with nothing fancy. a $4 double reed with no cuts is good to start out with to get a feel for things. some people got it and some don't. $4 or $5 bucks down at the local hunting store is a good cheap way to find out. the most important thing is using what works best for you and makes you happy like was said before.

Back