rage hypodermic failed to open...

I switched to Grim Reaper Xbow broadheads and they work every time. We never sold Rage when we had our archery shop as we tried them and were not happy with their performance. I know all the tv shows make them look real good.

I personally have never shot mechanicals either. I thought but after tracking a couple of deer other archers shot and did not recover them I decides to stick with the good old fixed blades still the best. Right now I'm using the QAD Exodus 100grain standard swept blades. So far they have worked awesome for me. Easy to tune and tough as heck.

After I had a spitfire fail to do its job no penetration to speak of and when I found the arrow one of the blades was completely gone) I went to magnus products. Scary sharp, lifetime guarantee, and great folks to talk to on the phone.

Originally Posted By: gregsI switched to Grim Reaper Xbow broadheads and they work every time. We never sold Rage when we had our archery shop as we tried them and were not happy with their performance. I know all the tv shows make them look real good.

After the deflection I had two seasons ago I would never shoot a grim reaper again. Check my back posts with photos.

I use Muzzies, but a good friend of mine loves Spitfires. He said the trick is the "exercise" each of the blades before using them. He's a very knowledgeable bow hunter. But, I still think it's just one more thing that could go wrong.

i HATE IT when my Muzzy's fail
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mr_mark95Never had a Rage not open.

X2

I continue using my 2 blade rage because my experience with them have been nothing but great. They fly better than anything I have used. If you keep them in a quiver and replace the o-rings after you have shot them theres no reason for them to pop open.

Originally Posted By: Field MedicHow many blades on the hypodermic by rage?

Two, I switched over to bass pro's gator black outs that open from the rear all titanium with a 1.5" cutting diameter. I've never had one fail to open to date with the old Rocky Mountain chisel tip style on dozens of whitetail. Been using them since the late 80's

Last edited:
I've never understood why people shoot mechanicals. Most likely it's because they can't get anything else to fly right out of un-tuned bows (think new bow hunters and people that buy into marketing here). Anything mechanical can and will fail at some point. I've never had one single problem with slick trick, steel force, muzzy, or magnus and I've taken dozens of deer. Everytime a mechanical gets shot it's a gamble as to whether or not they'll work as they were designed to.

Originally Posted By: kpkieferI've never understood why people shoot mechanicals. Most likely it's because they can't get anything else to fly right out of un-tuned bows (think new bow hunters and people that buy into marketing here). Anything mechanical can and will fail at some point. I've never had one single problem with slick trick, steel force, muzzy, or magnus and I've taken dozens of deer. Everytime a mechanical gets shot it's a gamble as to whether or not they'll work as they were designed to.

+1...

Like many others I was not a fan of mechanical broadheads until my kids started hunting, I think that rages are much safer for a kid as they don't have the exposed blades that could accidently come in contact with something there not supposed to. After helping recover several deer shot with Rage broadheads I have been converted to accept them as a fine tool. Tremendous amount of blood loss on evey deer I have seen shot with them.
One thing I have found with mechanicals is the cheap brands are no good, have to spend the money on good ones.

Last edited:
i use both mechanicals and fixblade depending on where i am shooting from. if i set up on a field edge i may use a rage, reaper or spitfire. in a blind thru netting i use slick tricks. they all have served me well, no failures.
as to mechanicals i lean toward spitfires.

Never had a Rage fail to open. Never had a Grim reaper fail to open. Worked part time for years in a Gun/Archery/Hunting store and have never HEARD of a Rage head failing to open. I understand that some of you are old school. I get it. BUT.....Quality mechanical broadheads are a fine tool and I have numerous dead bull elk that will attest to that. Extremely high speed bows can be pretty fickle and difficult when it comes to fixed blade heads. I am all about tuning my bow and I go through the entire process including paper tuning. But arrows that are chronographed at 330 plus FPS can be a challenge with fixed blades and the performance I have experienced with the Rage and Grim Reapers does not warrant the effort.

I use 100gr. Wac-Em's. Shot around 9 elk with them. They fly great and very accurate, I don't dare shoot at the same place the last arrow hit. I have shaved off too many vanes! I shoot a Mathews chill and won't shoot any other broad head. Quickest dying elk I have killed in over 32 years of hunting them. I don't use mechanical broad heads. Rudy

Back