Raccoon Season starts tomorrow!

Atchman2

It is that time again-Raccoon Hunting! I've got my stuff ready to go tomorrow night. Hopefully I'll get some good video of the hunt with my night vision camera!

NY Starts October 25th. I'm doing mainly daytime calling now that my son is more involved, nightime is rougher on kids. Had great success last year and I think I will be even better this year, good luck

Since the spring I've located 314 coon dens, I know they move around a lot but these Dens will be used when the weather gets cooler, for sure.

I switched to day calling, I setup near the dens and use my foxpro and decoy, kids also have hand callers. Its an exciting way to hunt.

Atchman and Tactical
I would to see some field reports and pics from both of you!!!Regarding coon hunting,my season starts Oct. 1 I will be daytime calling also.
thumbup.gif

Wow! I should have stayed up, but I was SO tired from getting up squirrel hunting the morning before. I put out the Game Camera the day of the start of hunting season. Anyway, I'm well rested today so I'm going to stay up tonight and try and get one.

prerac1.jpg

First Night of Hunting Season Raccoon

prerac2.jpg

Better shot

prepossum1.jpg

Nice Possum showed up that night too!

I did a firmware upgrade on the camera before I put it out and changed batteries. The pictures are much better now.

cat.jpg

Here is my daughter's cat! My wife chunked a rotten watermelon over the fence and the cat wanted to see it if was edible. However, it took just a nice clear picture.

Last night I had to go to bed earlier than I really wanted. Here is what I missed out on:

Rac1.jpg

rac2.jpg

possum1.jpg

possum3.jpg

skunk.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures! I have a new bulb in my 500 watt light. Since it was less than $10 and bulbs cost $6, I bought a spare light too.

080083534340lg.jpg

Great trail cam pics. Booth of my Wildgame cams crapped out.
frown.gif
I've already sent one back and calling them this evening to get another RMA number to return the other. Mine are the IR4. Terrible product...

Eric

That one is actually an IR4! The firmware upgrade took care of the problem it had. I got it as a present last year for Christmas. Not sure what I would have bought myself.

Originally Posted By: 17tacticalI think Wildlife Tech is better than Foxpro overall.

You cant go wrong with either brand,as long as you have some good coon sounds.

Hey Atchman, try Harbor Freight for the halogen bulbs. I have bought them there, and they work well. I think they were like $1 each.

BTW, what do you use the halogen light for?

kevlars

Right now in order to film at night I need a bigger light source than my LED lights. I can shoot with them, but I can't film with them.

Because of that I use a 500 watt Halogen work light to illuminate a huge area. The camera picks it up almost like daylight. I've got to figure out a way to use it on some "wild" hunts though. I'm thinking a power converter and a boat battery would be perfect and would probably power the light for hours AND the camera.

The night critters don't seem to be scared of the light as long as it isn't moving or flashing on and off. Like I said, I don't need it to hunt, I just need it to film.

@@##$^&^%&*
Well today was my first day,of coon season,very first stand no coons but two coyotes called!!! Son of a gun there I am sitting there with no mask,stainless steel gun,scope caps on.
I waited till they looked away to duck behind a tree but they where 200 yards away,chip shot with the AR,but all I had was the .17HMR. I goofed with them a bit till they turned and left.I grabbed my stuff and dede'd out of there. I will call them agian in a few weeks.I was using RACOON FIGHT,coyotes cant resist.
thumbup1.gif

had a coon sneak up to my deer corn and started chewing my corn up lol,
i was like you gotta be kidding me! they tear into my salt licks too!

Well it has been three weeks and I haven't got a coon yet! Hopefully tonight is the night.

I've missed a couple already, but now I'm back to my favorite air hunting rifle: a TF 89 in .22 caliber.

Here she is with her new flashlight mount.

TF89.jpg

I've gotten some squirrels with it and a possum, but I haven't shot it at a raccoon yet. It should be more than adequate!

Back