"shoots lights out" Huh?

Shooting the lights out came from the fact that most 1800's Saloons were very narrow and were lit with gas lights. And if a drunk cowboy would touch off a round or rounds out of a black powder revolver. The concussion would blow out the lights, hence the term "Shooting the Lights Out"

KC

I've read where SWAT teams have used suppressed .22's to literally shoot lights out when performing search warrants or hostage situations or whatever reasons.

The shooting lights out,i believe came from the old school muzzleload shooters.

One of the elimination shoots for a tie was shooting the flame off a lit candle,,,just the flame was extinguished,,hence lights out.

This was only one of the eliminators,,split the card,split the ball and blind 21 was other ways, rough distance 25-50 yards off hand.

Originally Posted By: yoteblaster03from the mercury used in the hat makeing

Yep, eventually they would all succomb to mercury poisoning and it would drive them loony.

Chupa

I just read another one. They were talking about Tikka rifles and one guy says his is:

"stupid accurate"

What the [beep] does that mean? That may be the stupidest way yet I've ever heard of describing accuracy.

"Tack hammer" (or "driver"), "shooting the lights out" even "crazy accurate" makes complete sense to me. "Sick" and "Shoots like Stink" are a little harder to understand as superlatives.

I've come to understand that it's a generational thing, meaning you young dudes are either silly or illiterate (and please DON'T pm me, it's a joke).
tt2.gif

If you want to get real serious about superlatives, lets talk about "bitchin", "cool", and "far out man".
thumbup1.gif

My favorite, "Shoots like a house on fire".

Well, if my house is on fire, I sure as [beeep] better not be shot from it.

And "Shoots like a wet dream" probably cums from the fact that it shoots uncontrollably and all over the place. I guess some people like that in a gun.

lol.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: McGyverMinute of Duck (Or substitute the intended animal)

Good'ol minute of duck, I remember that. That was hilarious!

Chupa

SShooterZ...that was hillarious.
I ocasionally use some that were thumbs up listed by NM Leon,..not so much the, "far out man"..but there was a time.
Right ON...regularly, as well as groovy,and neat (dropped the O)
Another one I might say is, "I can dig it"...not sure of its origin, but figure its the same as, "I`m pick`n up what your layin` down"...meaning I`m with ya or I understand.
So where did, I can dig it, come from?

Back