"Do everything" 223 bullet options

Originally Posted By: thoms715I'm thinking of trying the 1365 in a 22 Creedmoor (due in this Tuesday) any thoughts on this? I have used that bullet in a 223, 223IMP, 22-250, and 22-250 AI. It worked great in all three.

I had pretty much settled in on the Sierra #1365 load and was going to run that. It was shooting decent at around 3/4 MOA which is probably all I really need out of a 200 yard night rig.

But then I had about a dozen leftover 55 NBT's I needed to shoot up, and about that many cases left to fireform. So I loaded them up at the powder node I was using with the 1365. And I'll be danged if they didn't shoot really nice and tight with no muss, no fuss. So now I have ordered a couple hundred of them to play with. I have a feeling since this will be a coyote rifle 95% of the time I will end up with the NBT. I'm just too much of a sucker for a tight, consistent shooting load.

Thanks to Clarence and Sandy Hicks for the vote of confidence on the NBT and getting me to try it.

The NBT's shoot & perform well; glad you like them. Just checked and they are currently out of stock on the 55 gr. 223's, but I haven't shot anything but NOSLER 2nds for years and can seldom find why they are seconds. Suspect more overruns than 2nds, they even offer military discount on top of already great prices.

Regards,
Clarence

I got them from SPS, bought 300 of them. They had the blems in stock for 14.95 a box. I prefer the blems over the 2nds personally. Blems to me have always shot just as good as what you buy in the store, just cheaper. For the most part I have had good luck with the 2nds, but I got some .264/120 NBT 2nds one time that weren't very good. There were a fair number of deformed bases in them, and they never shot quite as good as what I thought they should. I usually try for the over runs or blems now.

The way I understand it blems are just cosmetic flaws like stains or spots on the bullets where they are not "pretty". 2nds actually have some mechanical flaws, though not very many. Even in the worst batches of 2nds I ever got there were only a 2-5 per hundred that I could find bad enough flaws on that I didn't want to shoot them. Some batches I couldn't find any visual flaws. I may or may not be right on that information but it what I believe to be correct.

Thx for the info, Jeff.

I've been lucky as I didn't know of the distinction and have always ordered blems or overruns. Guess that's why I've never found anything other than a (very few) cosmetic flaws.

Regards,
hm

Just to throw another option out there, I've had decent success with the Remington 55gr Soft Points. They actually shot really well in a couple rifles for me and kill coyotes ok. I don't know how they'd work on a hog...probably similar to the NBT's. They aren't great for long range work, but at 200yds you'd be fine.

The soft point bullets don't seem to get much love these days, with all the fancy tipped bullets. I'm guilty as the next guy - I shoot a lot of tipped bullets - but being new at this, the experienced guys have gotten hooked on the soft points. If they accomplish the same thing for less money, what's not to like about that? Plus, most shots are likely going to be 250 or less for me, so I don't need to worry about BC so much.

JTPinTx
I have traveled up in your country for the past several years and got to know the little gun shop in Wellington quite well. Nice people and very good prices on primers and powder.
Only problem was they just don't have a very elaborate inventory. Good luck with the encore.

bump- I've been gone all week for a family reunion in Arkansas and just now saw your reply. Yeah, I know the folks in Sportsman's really well. They are getting better at keeping supplies in stock. They don't really carry bullets, but are getting to where the last year or so they have a decent amount of primers and powder. Prices are always very reasonable, especially for a mom and pop shop. I am generally in there several times a month.

Do you hunt up here or travel through for work? The shop I work in is on 83 south of town a mile, east side of the road. We build water and foam tanks for fire trucks.

I've worked up in the Panhandle mostly Airport contracts for the past 11 years or so and had a friend that lived in Wellington for a while that was from back home. That's how I got to know Gerald and his wife at Sportsman's. It was a good place to stop and break up my trips.
Right now I am doing work around Abilene but if I get back up your way I'll look you up.

Back