"BEST" Bobcat caliber

Originally Posted By: RePete

Now the 222? It just oozes soul..

yes it does, and another one that to me has a way cool factor is the 20 vartarg

I think it would be a dandy cat caliber.

Originally Posted By: cowpokeOriginally Posted By: RePete

yes it does, and another one that to me has a way cool factor is the 20 vartarg

I think it would be a dandy cat caliber.

Yea buddy!

20 Vartarg with 32's is "the" cat rnd. IMO (also does coyotes in a pinch)....but, it's not on the list so I'll have to say a 20gr V-max at 3600 would work very well for cat's 200yds or less.........My vote???? 17 Hornet, of those mentioned!

PLOTTBOSS

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PLOTBOSS20 Vartarg with 32's is "the" cat rnd. IMO (also does coyotes in a pinch)....but, it's not on the list so I'll have to say a 20gr V-max at 3600 would work very well for cat's 200yds or less.........My vote???? 17 Hornet, of those mentioned!

PLOTTBOSS

Since I don't, don't, don't reload, Who all makes a reasonable (if that's possible) priced rifles in 17 HH?

Shayne

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: Smokeless

But if you reload, The .223 Rem is the best of all of it.

It may well be the best of the big bores (.224's
smile.gif
) but it ain't got no soul...

PS,,, you definatly need a 17.
I'd start with a 17Rem and work your way down to the AH.
Least that's what I did, and look how awsome I turned out.
laugh.gif

I do need a 17. The 222 rem has done all I need, But the 17,s interest me. A Lot! The .20 is a flop IMO!

The type of bullet you use is just as important as the caliber. I hunt coyotes with a 22-250. I talked to Sierra Co years ago and they recomended Sierra Match HP 53 grain for minmal fur damage. They work well. I get a small hole in and out. I call in and kill a number of bobcats each year with my 22-250, with the same results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GregtexThe type of bullet you use is just as important as the caliber

Exactly..... too many focus on the caliber rather then proper bullet selection and the right fps for minimum fur damage

+ 1 with you and Burris. The 3 CZs I own are easily the most accurate rigs I own. A CZ 527 carbine in 223rem with varmint bullets oughta do ya for cats. Step up to a 60 Nosler partition for deer.

My 223 will no doubt kill a cat, it's the exit hole that worries me.
I shoot the Winchester White Box 45gr HPs on coyotes, but rarely get an exit hole smaller than softball size.

Shayne

You want the 22 magnum. I got a bunch of the old Rem 33gr. v-maxs green tips that CCI loaded, not the older Remington stuff, and the Rems that I have chrono well over 2,100fps., killed a bunch of cats with them. I think the Hornady CCI 30gr. should work good.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57Originally Posted By: PLOTBOSS20 Vartarg with 32's is "the" cat rnd. IMO (also does coyotes in a pinch)....but, it's not on the list so I'll have to say a 20gr V-max at 3600 would work very well for cat's 200yds or less.........My vote???? 17 Hornet, of those mentioned!

PLOTTBOSS

Since I don't, don't, don't reload, Who all makes a reasonable (if that's possible) priced rifles in 17 HH?

Shayne

Right now, I think Savage and Ruger are the only two chambering the 17HH. Of the two Savage is cheaper.....CZ should get a serious look as well but they have not hit the market yet.

In the end, cat rounds for me boil down to something that can scramble vitals and not exit. High velocity impresses cats more than anything.........

PLOTTBOSS

I killed coyote, fox with the 5mm I don't think I ever shot a bobcat with one. But it works about like a 22 magnum. I liked the old Remington 38gr. Hp alot better than the new stuff. I have some friends that kill alot of hogs with the old 5mm and it does a good job on them. Pound 4 pound I don't think theys a tuffer animal than the bobcat so if you are using a rimfire get close and make a good shot!

If I was to use a 22mag, it would only be in thickets where 50 yards would be a long shot.
But, I'll actually have to call and see one this year before I can kill one.
I know where there are cats, and have access to places that should hold cats. Right no, it's the calling and seeing one where I suck.
If I do get a chance at one, I don't want to screw the hide up.

Shayne

Rossi makes a.22 mag pump aswell.If you are on a budget like me then a marlin bolt action is the way to go.I have a
982s that shoots submoa at 100 yds with the 30 hornadys. Good luck,and if you want a repeater try the 10/22 or 597 in mag.

Back