Question for Steve Timm

Grab a chair and start writing Steve! Welcome back!
thumbup1.gif

Friend Jeff,

In celebration, let's do a few fun photos:

elkguts.jpg

Here's one of my boys, dead in the bottom of a nasty canyon. I've killed as many elk as I am old and I have NEVER gotten one out in one piece ... never.

whitetail.jpg

How about a pic of one of my best whitetail? I murdered hin in Alberta. Did the deed with my .280 Ackley Improved and a prototype Nosler bullet (that they decided NOT to make ... big mistake)

cowparts.jpg

Here's me playing the Meat Man in He!!'s Canyon. Yup, I used to have brown hair and I WAS young ... once.

bloodygoat.jpg

For some reason, my editor would not publish this photo. I guess blood offends him
grin.gif

eland.jpg

I killed this eland in the Northern Transvaal. Guts, feathers and all he weighed 1069kg, or 2,352 pounds. I did the deed with a .30-'06 and a single 180-grain Hornady Interlocked bullet.

Yup, cup-and-core bullets still ROCK!!

hockeycoyote.jpg

And here's a decent Alberta coyote I ran down and killed with a hockey stick. Long, long story and I WILL tell it to you guys one day.
grin.gif

Keith.jpg

Elmer Keith was one of my mentors. Here is what he wrote in the front of my copy of He!! I Was There." It chokes me up every time I read it. I loved that GREAT MAN

P1010459.jpg

And, lastly, here's a photo of Karen and me after renewing our wedding vows in the Wedding Church at Cana. We took a wonderful pilgrimage to Israel this last May and it was way beyond belief!!

Enjoy,

Steve

welcome sir
i'm a rare poster
i get the impression you are a knowledgeable,stand up guy
for every person who might have a bad pm
theres probably dozens who will appreciate having you around

Welcome back Steve. Just got back from town then working my dogs. Great great day with the boy's. Their first tim down without a collar or a check cord and they were pro's beyond what I'd hoped for. Then get home and here your are again! Welcome back!!!

Man I was worried for a while there. I stopped renewing my subscription to Varmint Hunter when you stopped writing for them several years ago. Just found out you were posting here a couple of weeks ago and then you were gone!. Welcome back and try to ignore the jerks. Seems there are always a few around no matter where you go. Your writing is directly responsible for my owning a 223AI X 2 and a Holland built 280AI. Also still considering building a 6mm-250 as a dedicated Coyote gun based on your VHM article.
Charlie

Originally Posted By: laportecharlieMan I was worried for a while there. I stopped renewing my subscription to Varmint Hunter when you stopped writing for them several years ago. Just found out you were posting here a couple of weeks ago and then you were gone!. Welcome back and try to ignore the jerks. Seems there are always a few around no matter where you go. Your writing is directly responsible for my owning a 223AI X 2 and a Holland built 280AI. Also still considering building a 6mm-250 as a dedicated Coyote gun based on your VHM article.
Charlie

Friend Charlie,

The 6-250 is definitely worth it. Be sure to specify that the reamer is to be off of the .22-250 and not the .250-3000 Savage (different shoulder angle, believe it or not). Then, buy Redding dies and specify "6mm/22-250" and buy a Redding loooooong tapered expanding plug to take the chamfered and inside-lubed case necks of virgin cases from .224" to .243".

From that point, life is very simple. The data in my article is GREAT STUFF and I fired every stinking bit of it.

Yes, the Leupold VH reticle, which is my design and patent, will easily "catch" the trajectory and drift of the 6-250.

My favorite load, by the way, is the 70-grain Ballistic Tip pushed by 41.0 grains of H-414 in W-W brass, with Winchester WLR primers. The average muzzle velocity (40 shots) is 3,419 fps @ 10 feet ... figger that about 3,430 fps at the actual muzzle. Recoil is minimal and it kills predators lickity-split.

I've also layed down a quite decent 5X5 mulie and a 16+ inch prairie goat with the rifle and load. Both gave one good kick and hit the dust with their chins. No wasted meat and BANG-PLOP kills, what more could a fella want?

If you need any help along the way, don't ever hesitate to ask, my friend.

Steve

Friend Steve

Just got home from work and was delighted to find you back on PM! May you never leave us again! You have WAY to much to offer us all. Thanks for coming back.

And the great article that you wrote about the .223 AI for Varmint Hunter magazine got here today. Thanks so much for sending it. You are quite the guy for sending it to me. You even put extra postage on it to make sure that I would get it. I do appreciate it, Sir!

Welcome back. I hope you here for a long LONG time. And keep those great pictures coming too now, you hear?
drool.gif

Friend Russ,

I'm delighted that the package with the article got to you so quickly.

It was totally MY pleasure to share it with you.

Your buddy Steve

P1010279.jpg

How about a photo of the Dall's sheep that got Elmer Keith all fired up? I killed the ram way for north in the Yukon Territory, in literally previously-unhunted country.

He is a gorgeous ram and he still demands a place of honour in our living room. Again, a great story and I promise to share it one day.

ST

I hate like heck to put you on the spot, but when I see a photo of a dead coyote and a hockey stick, well, there has to be a pretty good story behind that. Kind of like being in the check out line at the supermarket, and the guy in front of you has a roll of tape and some peanut butter. There just has to be a very good story behind it.

I look forward to hearing it.

Jeff

Steve, if you receive any more nasty PM's from the few jerks we have here, please do the majority of us a great favor, and use the "remove myself from this topic" key.
Great to have you back, I enjoy your posts & share many of your views.
God bless you & your family,
Mark

Originally Posted By: Jeff MockI hate like heck to put you on the spot, but when I see a photo of a dead coyote and a hockey stick, well, there has to be a pretty good story behind that. Kind of like being in the check out line at the supermarket, and the guy in front of you has a roll of tape and some peanut butter. There just has to be a very good story behind it.

I look forward to hearing it.

Jeff

OK, Jeff, you asked for it.

About seven or eight years ago, Chub Eastman, my friend who was then the Sales Manager for Nosler Bullet (now a writer for Sports Afield) and I were on our annual hunt in Alberta. Generally, I would go up and murder a mulie and a whitetail, while Chub killed a whitetail and sometimes a moose.

So, the scene was north of Cochran, locally known as Bottrel, maybe ten miles south of Water Valley.

My guide's family owned a large hay field that was surrounded by dense bushcountry. It was prime whitetail country; really rolling hills, that backed up to the Rocky Mountains and you never knew if you'd catch elk, moose, deer or coyotes out in it. Every day, we would do a raid or three on the area and we often killed critters there.

One noon we were out in the middle of the rolling field, working with the tractor and setting up a blind out of round bales. We made it into a kind of castle, one that we could literally drive our truck into and watch out of several "portholes."

As we finished building our "castle," my guide, Jamie, yelled from the tractor, "Hey Steve, there's a coyote out about 300, why don't you shoot him with that .280?"

So, what's a guy to do? I leveled out on him and killed him.

And a second one popps up and starts running across the field. He was about the same range, so I lead him a LOT and fired for effect. I hit him, because his back side went down and his running became labored.

Then Jamie yells, "Hey Yank, why don't you run him down with the truck?"

Hey, it sounded great to me. Hitting a running coyote at 300++ yards is BS luck and a feat I'd probably not soon equal.

So, I jumped in the truck and sped across the field towards him. Eventually, he disappeard into a coullee and I closed the range.

While I wad sriving, I noticed that Jamie had a hockey stick in the back of the truck and my evil brain hatched a plan. I was fixing to shoot the coyote again, but if I could outrun the wounded dog, I'd just give him a slap-shot.

So, down into the coulee I roared with the Toyota and, sure enough, the coyote was there. He wasn't running too fast, so I grabbed the hockey stick and took out after the bugger.

About fifty yards from the truck, the coyote turned around, bared his teeth and made aggressive noises that made me maybe want to rethink the scheme. But, what the heck, it might still work.

So, I closed in and we had a bit of a human-coyote standoff, him growling and snapping his teeth and me maybe cursing a bit.

He lunged towards me and without thinking, I raised the stick and slammed it down precisely in the center of his skull.

And that killed him deader than a doornail. I was amazed.

My friend and guide, Jamie, told and retold that tale a zillion times. After that, many times I've been introduced to some total stranger, only to have the the guy or gal say, "Oh heck YEAH, you're the crazy Yank that killed the big old coyote with perfect SLAP-SHOT."

Indeed, indeed I am.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

It is a local legend around Botrell, Alberta and, unlike most rural legends, it is TOTALLY TRUE.

Anyway, that is the story of the hockey stick coyote. And if I hadn't done it, I truly would not have believed it. That toothy bugger was trying his level best to BITE ME and I was amazed how sincerely dead a hockey stick can make a coyote.

Hope you enjoyed this yarn.

Steve

PS. Believe it or not, that evening Jamie and I were in the "castle blind" and towards dark we were literally surrounded by whitetail. I shot a quite decent 140-ish buck (4X4, plus eyeguards) out of them with my .280 Ackley using a single 140 Ballistic. It was about two days later that I shot a really cool 4X6, plus eyeguards mule deer buck from the same blind. The mule was really cool, with one typical side and the 6-point side being non-typical. Much to Jamie's chagrin, I also murdered a few more coyotes from the castle blind.

By the way, Alberta coyotes run pretty large and they are great fun to call and shoot. ST

Back