Putting The Hammer Down

DoubleUp

It has been a tough spring here for coyote hunting, or at least it has been for me. I saw a coyote hunting hard in a field last night, but he was about 1,200 yds. out and I couldn't break him loose from the rats and mice. Tonight I went back and came in on the opposite side of the field. I didn't use any vocals just rodent sounds. He came up a ditch line hunting hard. He would have turned and come right to me, but he started getting whiffs of my wind. I didn't want him to get a full nose of my scent, so I growled him to a stop and put the hammer down on him at 200 yds. It was a double lung hit, and he ran about 50 yds. and gave up the ghost. He had already shed his winter coat, and might qualify for the ugly coyote contest. The kill was still sweet to me because I outsmarted him tonight. I'll post the video tomorrow hopefully. Here he is.

#43.jpg

The thump came in very clear. As you were panning, you can see lots of small heat signatures which I believe were mice and frogs so there is lots for them to eat.

Good work!

Must be pretty dry, as much dust as he kicked up dying. I have seen the tail up or out a lot. Nice work. No dust here now.

Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, lots of mice and rats in that field. OC, it dries pretty quickly here when the trees start to draw water. We've had the worst pollen season I can remember. We're getting rain all day today, so probably won't be much dust flying for a while. I've still never seen one travelling with their tail above the back, but obviously when chasing rats and mice they get them up on the hunt.

Want to take a moment and thank you guys that take the time to post your videos.

Been a year since I've been able to get out after them myself, and I learned a long time ago, while shooting competition, the value of "visualization" since accurate shooting is largely a mental function; probably 90% mental/10% physical, IMO. Dry firing was very helpful in target shooting, but "visualization" of what it takes to make a perfect shot was every bit as important when you could not dry fire.

I watch all these videos, and am hoping that visualizing exactly when I would break the shot will knock a bit of the rust off if and when I am able to get back out. Visualization of breaking a shot on a stationary target is easy, but it is harder to visualize without all the different possibilities presented by the coyotes in you guy's videos. Keep 'em coming, guys!

Back