Putting The Hammer Down

DoubleUp

It has been a tough spring here for coyote hunting, or at least it has been for me. I saw a coyote hunting hard in a field last night, but he was about 1,200 yds. out and I couldn't break him loose from the rats and mice. Tonight I went back and came in on the opposite side of the field. I didn't use any vocals just rodent sounds. He came up a ditch line hunting hard. He would have turned and come right to me, but he started getting whiffs of my wind. I didn't want him to get a full nose of my scent, so I growled him to a stop and put the hammer down on him at 200 yds. It was a double lung hit, and he ran about 50 yds. and gave up the ghost. He had already shed his winter coat, and might qualify for the ugly coyote contest. The kill was still sweet to me because I outsmarted him tonight. I'll post the video tomorrow hopefully. Here he is.

#43.jpg

Last edited:
High tail equals happy dog-now it means happy coyote UNTIL you shoot them. Thanks for the vid Owen.
Yep, and he is ugly like a couple I have shot recently.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking time to comment fellas. Yeah Mike, it is amazing how beautiful they can be in their winter coats even here in the South and how scrawny they look when they shed it out.

Back