Pulsar XP50 Zero Issues and Info

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOK... another zero session. 3pm, 60 degrees.

First three were about where they should be...

Adjusted 1 number down and shot a fantastic group shots 4/5/6...

Fired 7/8/9 without any adjustment, just slightly left, but taking into consideration sight picture I think it's totally acceptable....

Adjusted 1 number right, fired 10/11/12 which two were left of center but not bad, they are right of 8/9 with elevation fine and 12 pretty [beeep] close to center.

So for today, I will give the unit a PASS for both responding to inputs as they were made as well as holding zero from this am throughout this afternoons shooting session.

I stayed in the shade to prevent the sun from having any negative effects.

Now... if I come back to the range in a couple days and this thing hits the 2 1/2" square I will be quite pleased.

Put it in the freezer or in a big cooler of ice for 30 minute then try.
scared.gif

Last edited:
I guess I would wonder if it is totally fixed or if it will have to go in or just require an update when that temperature fix is totally fixed.

Originally Posted By: case-nhI guess I would wonder if it is totally fixed or if it will have to go in or just require an update when that temperature fix is totally fixed.

Well... it was mid 40's this am and 60 this afternoon. About the same as it was when I finally ascertained my unit had a problem.

Seeing as today's conditions were similar to when I had the problem, and today's performance was not doubt successful, I'd say the firmware update was an improvement at a minimum and a fix at best.

A few more range trips with warmer weather will provide the real answer.

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: case-nhI guess I would wonder if it is totally fixed or if it will have to go in or just require an update when that temperature fix is totally fixed.

Well... it was mid 40's this am and 60 this afternoon. About the same as it was when I finally ascertained my unit had a problem.

Seeing as today's conditions were similar to when I had the problem, and today's performance was not doubt successful, I'd say the firmware update was an improvement at a minimum and a fix at best.

A few more range trips with warmer weather will provide the real answer. what is ur thoughts on trying a test similar to what JCCinOhio tried, where he mounted the gun in a solid rest and took pictures periodically using the remote?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: case-nhI guess I would wonder if it is totally fixed or if it will have to go in or just require an update when that temperature fix is totally fixed.

A few more range trips with warmer weather will provide the real answer. what is ur thoughts on trying a test similar to what JCCinOhio tried, where he mounted the gun in a solid rest and took pictures periodically using the remote?

I suppose that works as well as live fire... I don't have a really good way of doing it myself, not easily that is.

I don't know what would explain it.. but I don't seem to be getting as much shift doing actual firing, than I did with the taking the pictures. Max I've seen from firing is like 3" at 75 yds, as opposed to 7" when looking at the pics.

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: case-nhI guess I would wonder if it is totally fixed or if it will have to go in or just require an update when that temperature fix is totally fixed.

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioI don't know what would explain it.. but I don't seem to be getting as much shift doing actual firing, than I did with the taking the pictures. Max I've seen from firing is like 3" at 75 yds, as opposed to 7" when looking at the pics.

Only way to know the bottom line would be to fire right after the pic

Originally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6pt fill me in on this one... hit the stump?

I left the range after shooting the second test zeros on my way to a meeting. I saw several hogs out in the cow pasture at one of my best spots.

I low crawled about 50 yards in open cow pasture to make about a 70 yard shot.

The unit auto-calibrated as I fired, but I killer her... shot went right where I was aiming.

I was aware of that big limb and waited until she got a little left of it.

Right at the end you can see her kick some dirt to the right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Catdog1Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6pt fill me in on this one... hit the stump?

I left the range after shooting the second test zeros on my way to a meeting. I saw several hogs out in the cow pasture at one of my best spots.

I low crawled about 50 yards in open cow pasture to make about a 70 yard shot.

The unit auto-calibrated as I fired, but I killer her... shot went right where I was aiming.

I was aware of that big limb and waited until she got a little left of it.

Right at the end you can see her kick some dirt to the right.

awesome deal, sounds like you might be back in business.

Hummm.. well I just called Pulsar tech support. I didn't hold him to the fire, but all he'd say is 'my issue is outside his department' and to send it in and they'd look at it.. wouldn't say anything about a firmware fix for my POI issues.. Guess they don't want to admit there is a problem.

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhioHummm.. well I just called Pulsar tech support. I didn't hold him to the fire, but all he'd say is 'my issue is outside his department' and to send it in and they'd look at it.. wouldn't say anything about a firmware fix for my POI issues.. Guess they don't want to admit there is a problem.

Call and ask for Robby... I forget his last name (Stevens maybe). When I call, I press 1 for sales, then ask for Robby.

He was open with me about the issue and he's the one who seemed to help. He clearly stated there IS a problem and the technicians were working to resolve it.

Either that's true... or ... I've just been lucky so far with my returned unit and have been BS'ed along the way.

Personally, at this point, I think it's the former vs. the latter... another couple weeks and range trips will tell.

What version of FW do you have on the unit? Curious if it is one not available to the general public yet. I have heard a FW update will be the fix.

Well a new firmware update was just released and it mentions "Added Temperature Feature." We will see what happens. Let's hope this finally fixes the issue of Pulsar and POI shift.

Very interested in what the results will be with this new FW update!
I have been holding off on purchasing a Trail to see what becomes of it!

I had pulled the mount off, and had a return label from Pulsar, and had it packaged up. Now the firmware update is released. Pulled everything back out and put mount back on with blue Loctite on the bolts, now will have to test. First real warm spell of the late winter/early spring happening right now. Will get out soon to test and let you all know how it goes.

Originally Posted By: KirschI had pulled the mount off, and had a return label from Pulsar, and had it packaged up. Now the firmware update is released. Pulled everything back out and put mount back on with blue Loctite on the bolts, now will have to test. First real warm spell of the late winter/early spring happening right now. Will get out soon to test and let you all know how it goes.

Looking forward to the results of the test, Korey. I hope this is the fix the Pulsar owners have been waiting for.

I ran a quick test tonight. First thing is anyone who does the firmware update, needs to zero their rifle again. Pulsar said this but I thought it would probably be close. I wasn't even on a 24"x24" target at 100 yards. It shocked me. I wasted a lot of rounds because I started with the scope cold and shot 5 rounds, and went to my target and hadn't touched it. Oops. Started the process all over.

Once I got the gun close to zero, I shot 3 cold, warmed the scope via hairdryer and heater vent of truck for 5 minutes and shot 3 more. None of the groups were very good. I am not sure if it was conditions (windy), the fact my AR really needs a cleaning, or if the scope isn't grouping as well as it did before. However for my test, my POI didn't really change. However, it can be hard to tell when you didn't group very well, but the two groups were pretty close. I am going to scrub my AR really well, and try again down the road.

Back