Pulsar Digisight N550 Fox Video

Not to mention here in Mass. you can not use artificial light, only light gathering technoligy,only answer is Night Vision,or wait till full moons.I can afford the technoligy so it works for me.I too really dig seeing the dog come in from a distance not knowing what he is in for.

Great posts on the Digisight Gman! Having purchased the Digisight, I am amazed at how clear I can see out to 350+ yards with my Torch on. The picture is clear and I can get a good focus at any distance.

Merry Christmas to you!

Gman,

I am not knocking the use of NV. If i had an extra 2k laying around i would probably invest in one.

My system works great for me and i use it mainly for Coyotes. Too each his own i guess.

Happy Hunting!

Kevin

Gman, is just obeying the law in his state. I am sure we all would use cheaper equipment if we could.
Info thanks to HIGH TECH RED NECK night vision.

Florida

Night Hunting: Allowed on private property. You may hunt all predators with the exception of foxes at night by the light of the moon without any special permit as long as you don’t use any artificial light. To hunt at night with artificial light you must first obtain a gun and light and night permit from the agency which is used to help control nuisance wildlife. Night hunting is not allowed on Wildlife Management Areas.
Night Vision: Allowed, not listed as a prohibited device in 2010/2011 Hunting Digest Handbook. Per verification with Ask Florida as long as the night vision device does not emit visible light (IR light is acceptable) it can be used to take wildlife designated as legal to take during night time hours. Verified with the Florida DNR Law Enforcement.
Phone: 850-488-8573

Last edited:

Baystate,

That's good info. I have been hunting using the Gun and Light at Night permits. You have to have a separate permit for each hunting location and you cannot have anyone with you that is not listed as an assistant on the permit application. Also a phone check in with FWC is required before and after the hunt. I got the same info from the local FWC office concerning NV equipment. I was told no permit is required with NV but you cannot have ANY kind of flashlight with you.

I got a PM from a member asking how to mount the mini DVR on your rig.

I made this mount using a camera case and some cheap UTG scope rings.
I cut the rings off then flattened it out on my bench grinder and blackened the bare metal with Aluma Black. I also ground down 1/4 inch nut so it would slip into the gap on the medium height ring. Drilled holes through everything then bolted it together using a 1/2" 1/4x20 ss screw,a large flat washer inside the case and blue lock tight. I cut a felt pad for the inside with a hole for the screw head and it looks like it will work just fine. For size comparison it's the same dimension as my Iphone. If you don't use an add on illuminator you can mount the DVR to the weaver rail on the side of the scope.

I also made the IR Illuminator mount the same way using the other scope ring.

DVR5-1.jpg

DVR4-1.jpg

Last edited:
Now thats just cool. I mounted my Pulsar on my .17REM until my .17AR is completed. I havent hunted with it yet but have taken it out under the stars with with my new IR from LunaOptics and Im quite amazed at what I can see in the dark now, its simply mind blowing. I went all out this Christmas and purchased the RageCam Recorder for it, paid a little for it but the video quality is quite remarkable.

I went out the other day and TRIED to zero the 17 in and had a little trouble locating my paper target out to 100yds. I backed it down to 25yds and painted a black circle on some paper and it was better. Im waiting to go out in the dark now to finish sighting it in to where I want it. I need some advice or tips on day time shooting and focus.

All and All this is a great purchase!

Okay..... I finally got to go hunting with the Digisight N550 and as I expected it was a bit of a learning experience. I went to a 30 acre parcel that is an old Christmas tree farm. It is fenced on both sides and is only good for one stand. That being the case I called for almost 1 hour 45 minutes on the same stand. I hunt standing with my rifle on a full length bipod and my AR hanging from a single point sling. Needless to say I was getting a little tired and stiff by the time the coyote showed up.

Weather was no moon and I set up for the forecast wind direction west at 4 mph but it felt dead calm to me. Temp was 36 and the dew point was 35, so humidity was 97% which came into play the later it got. Everything was fogging up and I could not even see the caller menu thru my glasses.

I set the scope up on my RRA Pred pursuit rifle. The scope has a low light feature called "Sumlight" which seems to gives me too much feedback using the long range emitter. A fox came in first and I put the fox video in to show how it eliminates some of the feedback when you turn it off. You can see in the video a box with an "S" in the lower left. You will also see the boxed S go away when I hit the button a and a difference in the picture. I wish there was an option to leave it off but it turns on automatically each time you turn on the scope.

Next comes the coyote. I almost missed seeing him come in because my Gen 1 binocular batteries were starting to die and after calling for almost 2 hrs I was about ready to call it a night. When I initially switched on the scope the emitter had been set for Sumlight OFF and it came on automatically and the scope was very bright to me. The weeds in front were causing some feedback and I'm not sure if the scope lens had fogged a little or not. Luckily the yote turned back toward me and I picked up the eyes. I had my left hand crossed over the scope trying to turn the dang Sumlight button off and I was pushing everywhere but the right place. You can see the reticle moving all around with me pushing on the scope. I realized he was heading out so I just said to heck with the scope button and shot him. He made it about 20 yards from where the video ended.

You can see that the critters all look toward me and they are seeing the red glow from the emitter but it doesn't seem to be big factor. The yote probably saw some movement also with me fooling around with the scope but I had ample shot opportunities before actually shooting him so I don't think its a major problem.

Next time I will get the settings like I want and teach myself how to feel for the Sumlight button without searching for it. I will also keep the lens cover folded down with heavy dew. It was so humid that my decoy looked like it had been rained on.

IMG_0369.jpg

Last edited:
Back