pulling the B S card on this one

Quote:
There is no closed season in Pa for coyotes though so with enough TI, you could do it.

calling? i dont think SO!!!!!! Kill 8 in one year calling you be top dog in the state!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Quote:
There is no closed season in Pa for coyotes though so with enough TI, you could do it.

calling? i dont think SO!!!!!! Kill 8 in one year calling you be top dog in the state!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next time quote my whole comment. Partial quotes fail. That being said, I do think that if you have enough land and the whole year, as in "the whole year", you could do this.

Not knowing the man, I can't call him a bald face liar but again, I would have to see the pelts.

I started this post thinking PA'S season was similar to NY'S. In that it's about six months.not open all year. Still from what I hear coyotes in Pa are the same creature as here in New York. Meaning 257 coyotes in three years is impossilbe to obtain through calling. Trapping absolutely ,calling ,no.
Remember we're talking killing, not seeing.suppose you mannage to kill 1 in 2 that you called in wich isn't that bad , that means you would call in over 500 coyotes in about a 1,000 days.take out all the time you would need to scout, than the bad calling days...

And if I ever meet the man I'll call him a bald faced liar to his face.Why because essentially he's stating that people like us don't know how to hunt.He's probably a lousy coyote hunter .To me, By claiming over 250 to me shows just how disconnected he is with the sport.someone who spent any true amount of time in the east calling coyotes knows what it takes.and wouldn't conceive of such a rediculous number.

Quote:
Quote:

I'll second that! Trust me George knows what he's talking about.

Quote:
I know the guy, Becknel? went to one of his seminars, I know less than nothing about coyote hunting but alot of his stuff don't add up.
RR

If we are naming names I believe it is Tom Bechdel we are discussing.

If we are naming names I believe it is --- ------ we are discussing.

you got it budy that would be him/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I believe I live in some of the best coyote land in the Northeast, and have developed a good feel for coyotes over the years. Been at it a long time, and this is what I have found.......

A really good (and super dedicated) caller in the Northeast can expect to shoot 10-15 coyotes a year, pullin out all the stops .......... you will call more than that, but killin' is a whole nuther story. You may boost this number a bit night hunting as coyotes are alot easier to get in at night, but harder to close the deal.

257 in a lifetime is entirely possible in the Northeast, but in three years, I'd bet the farm against that number.

Coyote density just too low here....... no matter who does the callin'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I understand fully the reality of this claim. I had 12 full days in the woods where I would make stands until 10am, move to a different location to shoot crows thru mid-day, then return to stands at 2pm and hunt till dark.

In over 60 stands, I called in 6 dogs and shot 2 and felt like it was a good year.

I'm just saying....

Quote:
I believe I live in some of the best coyote land in the Northeast, and have developed a good feel for coyotes over the years. Been at it a long time, and this is what I have found.......

257 in a lifetime is entirely possible in the Northeast, but in three years, I'd bet the farm against that number.

Coyote density just to low here ....... no matter who does the callin'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

sleddog has had my utmost respect as a coyote hunter for some years now and he has pretty much summed it up. The cold hard truth,period!

I just checked out the guys website and this is what he stated...

"During any three year period I have harvested 257 coyotes in Pennsylvania and Ohio . The largest was 72 pounds, and the most I have harvested in one day is eight."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I just checked out the guys website and this is what he stated...

"During any three year period I have harvested 257 coyotes in Pennsylvania and Ohio . The largest was 72 pounds, and the most I have harvested in one day is eight."

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I just checked it out to...I was going to send him an email but he doesnt have an email address....I guess thats good for him,because I was going to call his bluff... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry my bad .. And Ohio .still impossible though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

.also 72 poundS highly unlikely .. although possible.

Quote:
Sorry my bad .. And Ohio .still impossible though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

.also 72 poundS highly unlikely .. although possible.

Sounds like his biggest coyote is 8 lbs heavier than the PA record. Gee, makes me wonder why he didn't report it at the time for verification by wildlife authorities. Unless he is bold-faced LYING that is! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"The largest coyote on record in Pennsylvania is 64 pounds."

http://www.standardspeaker.com/articles/...2233715_loc.txt

I really feel sorry for you guys back east. I called 29 in three days, And I am pretty much a novice caller. I think we actually harvested about 5 or 6 cause I am a terrible shooter.

Last January in a 6 day hunt, 12 of us got 40 coyotes, 5 bobcats, and 3 grey foxes.

and that was just average.

Dave

Quote:
I really feel sorry for you guys back east. I called 29 in three days, And I am pretty much a novice caller. I think we actually harvested about 5 or 6 cause I am a terrible shooter.

Last January in a 6 day hunt, 12 of us got 40 coyotes, 5 bobcats, and 3 grey foxes.

and that was just average.

I don't feel a bit sorry for living in a challenging area to hunt yotes, But from what I'm reading its a bit better then what Pa. and NY. guys hunt in. But when ever I do connect its sweat and memorable.

Would still be nice to get into some of that action. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Quote:
I really feel sorry for you guys back east

Mouse, Don't feel sorry ,
just imagine what it must feel like to work so hard for so long running the roads and woods at 2 am in sub zero temps for days and weeks on end,then just imagine one night or one early morning there he is , staring at you with his brown coloring blending to the brush so much you first think your seeing things , then you see his dark eyes staring back at yea .
its like hunting big 150 or better bucks, when it happens and the target is in the cross hire after working so long at getting him there ,, all I can say is I hope you guys that kill constantly never loss the feeling that i get when i do finely get to bust a primmer..

I dint have to harvest anything it all about the trying,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
actually it is kinda nice that the density is not that great. it weeds out those that actually want to call and kill a coyote rather then a random deer hunter wanting to kill a yote because it is eatin all his deer.

I have never hunted east of the Mississippi, but I can tell you we hunt HARD in Arkansas to call/kill 30-50/year, and we kill about 80% of those we call...we don't let many get away. In the past, our season ran from either Sept 1 or Oct 1 through Feb 28....now it opens July 1 and closes Feb 28. No night hunting... It is so dang hot and buggy, and snakey here, 105 degrees with about 80% humidity, ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, and biting gnats/flies... Copperheads, Water Moccasins, and a few Rattlers...we still don't go out much until around the first of Sept...

Dont'cha just love it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Back