Protection in the field

I carry a G30 converting it over to the 460 Rowland that way when on the archery hunt here. I have more power for a black bear and for conceal carry its converted back to the 45.

One more for the G20. I just got one for the same reasons mentioned here. It's a touch bulky, but the extra rounds vs a wheel gun is nice. Plus the bulk makes even the hot 10mm rounds very controllable.

kimber custom 2 any time i am in the field. i dont worry about cats or pigs. Along time ago i realized at least in most spots the only attack to worry about was people. but i have over time had lots of trophy of opportunity with the pistola lot fun on predators and eating pigs

I also carry a Glock 20, often with a .40s&w conversion barrel depending on ammo availability. I killed a skunk with it just last night. There is not a thing wrong with carrying a .40 in the woods. It is much more capable than some would have you think.

If you don't like the short grip of the Glock 29 you can buy magazine grip sleeves that will let you use full sized G20 mags.

1000x1000.jpg

Man,,, you guys are some badazzes!
We have Lions, Bears, and Wolves here.
I carry a 22Mag revolver with two loads of snake shot up front, but only when hunting season's over and I don't have a rifle or shotgun along.

I must be one of the few that carries a S&W 686 357 mag, when out in the great outdoors. I like the punch it will deliver compared to my 40 cal that I carry on the street.

I've always carried either my HK USP 45 Tactical, or these days my HK45C loaded with 185 grain JHP +P. Lately though I've been looking real hard at a S&W .41 Mag Mountain Gun. I've got small wrists to be packing a .44 Mag, but the .41 Mag I fired was manageable and I think would do the trick here in the lower 48.

Ruger P-90 DC as my CC gun and Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 with 300gr lead on the hip while baiting bear. I realy perfer the Blackhawk as its so accurate I could get much more range if needed

Originally Posted By: RiflemannI must be one of the few that carries a S&W 686 357 mag, when out in the great outdoors. I like the punch it will deliver compared to my 40 cal that I carry on the street.

Nope, you're not alone.

Chupa

imagejpg1_zps5ddf7afb.jpg

My new go-to protection gun, my new S&W model 329 pd. Short, light, and plenty of power. Weighs only 26 ounces. Feels like a big cell phone on my belt.

Originally Posted By: RePeteMan,,, you guys are some badazzes!
I carry a 22Mag revolver with two loads of snake shot up front, but only when hunting season's over and I don't have a rifle or shotgun along.

Just because you haven't been eaten yet doesn't mean it's not going to happen.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: justin10mmOriginally Posted By: RePeteMan,,, you guys are some badazzes!

grin.gif

Well they better hurry up.
I'm 64 and I ain't getting any tenderer.
smile.gif

BTW,,, If I did carry a handgun, at what point should I throw away the loaded shotgun or rifle that's already in my hands and grab for the handgun?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: justin10mmOriginally Posted By: RePeteMan,,, you guys are some badazzes!

grin.gif

smile.gif

Unfortunately, I seem to be getting fatter AND tenderer every year.
cry.gif

Originally Posted By: KizmoOriginally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: justin10mmOriginally Posted By: RePeteMan,,, you guys are some badazzes!

grin.gif

smile.gif

Unfortunately, I seem to be getting fatter AND tenderer every year.
cry.gif

LOL,,,, Good point. Guess I should have said "I ain't getting any tastier".
frown.gif

Thanks for all the advice....

I have placed an order for a Glock 20 4th Gen. I think I will also purchase a Guides Choice chest holster.

Its to late to steer you in the "Right" direction....

S&W M&P 45 FS for me, I prefer to carry in a shoulder holster while calling, I can get to it a whole lot easier than I could if it was on my hip while sitting down.

Lee

Back