Project time, The making of a cow horn howler, questions, questions, questions?

I just order a cow horn blank from www.gunworks.com , speaking of left hand vs right hand, what horn should a lefty or righty use left horn or right horn. I know the only diff it would make is how it fit your hand. any suggestions

When I make a howler, I usually try to make them for guys who are holding their rifle grip with the right hand and will be holding the howler in their left. I blow all of my calls while holding them in my left hand. Most REAL coyote men do it like that ya know. I realize that some fellows do things backwards like Michael, so when they order a howler they should tell me to make the horn bend the other way a little. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like to have the bend of the horn in such a way that it bends upward when the plastic reed is on top. I use my upper teeth on the reed, so guys who like to use their lower lip on the reed would want the reed on the bottom. Jay Nistetter likes to blow open red calls with his lower lip on the reed, but then he is sort of backward like Michael. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Holy cow, I better stop now before I start a war with these guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich, how much does a buffalo horn howler cost compared to the cow horn howler? I'm really likin' the looks of that buffalo horn howler. Man, if I had one of those, with your name inscribed on it....I doubt I'd want to take it out in the field!

Thanks,

Rusty

Rusty,
Prices are about the same for either type of horn. I am working on a buffalo howler for myself right now, and I have a couple of buff horns out in the shop that are not yet sanded. I will likely phase out the buffalo howlers real soon. If you want one, I can start working on it today.

When making either a cowhorn or buffalo horn howler, can the loudness be controlled by the length of the horn? If I wanted a howler less loud, can I just cut it shorter?

Hi Newbee to the site here...

This question is mainly for Rich Cronk, but anyone can reply. I make my own Elk calls (nothing better than calling in a bull with a homemade call). I make the calls open reed style kind of like your antler calls. Now I was wondering how you go about cleaning a call before you sell it. With my experience, you have to try out the call to get the reed placement right before cinching it down. Do you soak it in alcohol or something.. Are folks fine with getting a call that has been in a stranger’s mouth?? I was just wondering, I would kind of like to get my calls out there, but don't know how to go about cleaning it for someone else.

Thanks for your help
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

xxxcurtxxx,
Your concern is understandable. Most common germs can not live in dry environment for very long, but your question deserves an answer. The calls I make from antler are sealed with Rustoleum "hardhat" to keep them from suffering from slobber rot, and to get rid of that smell of antler. The mouthpiece can then be washed in soap and water after final tuning and before shipment. I use a liquid dish washing soap that is marked "anti bacterial".

Back