Product review: Wipe out and Wipe out Accelerator

ackleyman,

I consider ordering this Lyman Bore Scope but was advised it was not of good quality and to order the Hawkeye. Checked out the Hawkeye and figured I did not want to shell out $1,000 for this bore scope. Glad you liked yours and I may have to go check 'em out. Midwayusa has them for $252 now so the price has been raised however other retailers have this in the low $200's.

And your topic on Wipeout got me thinking of trying one as well since I hate scrubbing the bore of my rifles. Guess in my age I am looking for quicker and quality cleaning routine.

So thanks for bringing up the Wipeout thread.

Forgive me, I know I'm late to the party on this and didn't read all the posts. BUT,...
...I'll share my Wipe-out experience. Used it for several years.

Was very pleased with its performance in cleaning and removing copper. UNTIL,...
... I had the muzzles threaded on two Remington 700 bolt guns. When the 'smith pulled the barrels to chuck them in the lathe...BOTH of them had lots of RUST on/in the barrel and receiver threads.

I checked the Wipe-out label for contents...WATER....I quit using it then.

Maybe I should have run WD40 into the locking lug recess and let it displace the water AFTER using the Wipe-out?

But that would require removing the stock, add WD40, let it work, wipe it off and re-attach the stock...

I still use use Sweets 7.62 for removing copper.

Originally Posted By: Airedale56Forgive me, I know I'm late to the party on this and didn't read all the posts. BUT,...
...I'll share my Wipe-out experience. Used it for several years.

Was very pleased with its performance in cleaning and removing copper. UNTIL,...
... I had the muzzles threaded on two Remington 700 bolt guns. When the 'smith pulled the barrels to chuck them in the lathe...BOTH of them had lots of RUST on/in the barrel and receiver threads.

I checked the Wipe-out label for contents...WATER....I quit using it then.

Maybe I should have run WD40 into the locking lug recess and let it displace the water AFTER using the Wipe-out?

But that would require removing the stock, add WD40, let it work, wipe it off and re-attach the stock...

I still use use Sweets 7.62 for removing copper.

If you would use a GOOD bore guide there would be NO wipeout or anything else any place but the inside of the barrel... Just say'un
wink.gif

Very good point.
I have several.
I don't know how well the straw would fit.
Could be worth a try.
Aside from the issue I had, the product seemed to work well.

Does anyone on the forum use a bore guide to apply Wipe-out?

Maybe I'm the odd man out.

Edit: the way Wipe-out expands and foams, I'm not sure I could keep it out of everywhere it wants to go.

Last edited:
Airedale56 said:

Bore guides are very popular now days. I probably started using them back around the 80's. Not a single rod ever go's down any of my barrels with out a bore guide in place........

Originally Posted By: Airedale56Very good point.
I have several.
I don't know how well the straw would fit.
Could be worth a try.

Maybe I'm the odd man out.

Edit: the way Wipe-out expands and foams, I'm not sure I could keep it out of everywhere it wants to go.

Can't remember how the straw fit my guides w/Wipeout, but did use it with these guides w/o problems with either brand. (Have used the Gunslick in recent years.)

Top guide is home made, errr, "custom" built which I made for my .30 calibers using 3/8" stainless tubing. It seals in throat of chamber with o'ring slipped to tubing shoulder (turned down to .334").

Bottom is store bought which I use in larger chambers.

The Gunslick straw fits (leak proof) inside the 3/8" tygon tubing on back of guide.

The hard plastic nozzle which straw fits into on Gunslick brand fits inside of store bought guide and straw passes the "solvent port" sufficiently that I can stop up the port with my thumb as foam introduced into bore.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
wink.gif

Edit to add: I did have to use a bit of Teflon tape on the store bought guide as a small amount of foam would leak at threads where the tips screw on.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
My only bad experience with Wipeout was I must have gotten some in the chamber area during cleaning. I usually use a bore guide but didn't this time. A few weeks later during deer camp, I left my rifle loaded for a few days instead of unloading it each night, and on day three I unloaded it and the brass on the cartridge was totally blue green.

Darrell Holland says to run a patch with Hoppes 9 or isopropyl/rubbing alcohol after applying chems like foaming bore cleaner, and then a light oil, like his Witches Brew.

I wish I knew what his Witch's Brew oil was. It is red. I wonder if it is transmission fluid or something similar.

Logstove, I have the hawkeye and the Lyman bore scopes, and the lyman is not of poor quality so it is good money spent.

Brushing with Wipe out produces a lot better results than just squirting it in and letting it soak. I had powder fouling that remained in the barrel after just letting it soak, barrels with around 50-70 rounds fired.

Best solution ended up being what one poster suggested, brush with Patch out and accelerator, I did an exhaustive test on this. Custom barrels with few rounds on them can be ok with just a soak, depending on the caliber and the amount of powder used. I would NEVER just soak and call it done due to the amount of powder fouling that I saw left in numerous barrels, but all the copper was gone.

Again, brushing with Patch Out and accelerator, soak over night did a wonderful job. I wish that the vast majority of shooters had a Lyman Bore scope which is a great investment. Wipe out makes a replacement nozzle that eliminates getting foam all in your action, but I will never buy the foam again because the Patch Out and Accelerator is so easy to use with a brush.

This 2$ attachment on any spray can works extremely well to replace the factory supplied nozzle, good money spent at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/237658/sharp-shoot-r-wipe-out-applicator-spout

Again, I will mention that I had the best results with accelerator and Patch out, brushing with good bronze bristle brushes in a variety of rifles and calibers.

Last edited:
Back