Problem with TAURUS 650 CIA, advice welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soon as mine gets back its being traded for something.(not on here
smile.gif

I wouldn't wish a Taurus on anyone.

I would offer this advice though: in this computer age, google is your friend. A quick search online will show anyone that Taurus not only puts out a subpar product, but has the worst customer service in industry.

Originally Posted By: sully2If I were pushed into a gunfight and had only a Taurus to defend myself with....I'd use a long stick instead!!!!!

x2

Actually this thread isn't showing up on Google yet, for a couple of reasons. And, unless it receives a whole lot of posts, it may never land there for a search on "Taurus model 650 CIA" which is what you want it to do.

Coyote Killa... if you can still edit the title on the thread change it to read "Taurus model 650 CIA - Problems! Advice Welcome"
That will help Google find it when people search for Taurus model 650 CIA, and help it place very highly in the search engines. Then copy the following link...

[u.rl=http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1914670#Post1914670]Taurus model 650 CIA - Problems![/url]

... go to your profile, and paste it in the little box for your signature. Then where that link says [u.rl= at the beginning, take that dot out between the u and the r. I put it there so you can copy the code, otherwise it would look like this - Taurus model 650 CIA - Problems!. That will establish a link back to the initial post in this thread at the bottom of every post you make/have made on the forum. All of them reading "Taurus model 650 CIA - Problems!" Which will help your problem get found on the search engines. Then find a busy thread or ten in the Active Topics, the more posts they have the better, and make a few posts of your own, so maybe your new signature line will get found in one of those popular threads and lead the search engines back here.

Then Google "Taurus model 650 CIA" and you should find a thread over on the Highroad.org forum sitting up at the top of the heap. Go over and join the highroad, go to that thread, and copy and paste your initial post here in that thread over there, since it is already #1 on Google.

I would tell you to post that link above in your signature over there, but I don't think they allow signatures over there unless you pay for them. You could however post it in your thread over there, and take out the dot, and since Google thinks that's a real popular thread, it is crawling that thread on a routine basis looking for new data on that thread, and the link there would send Google here in rather short order, where it would find this thread, and help shoot this thread to the top of the heap, since the thread on top of the heap is advertising this thread over here.

And... if you'll make Taurus model 650 CIA - Problems! bold in your posts here, and on that one over there, Google will think it's more important also, and that will also help get this thread found.

And, when it gets found, you can e-mail the link to Taurus and tell them you are fixing to join EVERY FIRKIN GUN FORUM on the net, and let the world know how reliable their products and customer service are. And, as long as you state only the facts about your "Taurus model 650 CIA - Problems!" it is not an act of libel or slander, and there really isn't a whole lot they can do except try and make you happy so you will print retractions.

That's the way this computer age and search engines work. I've put several websites #1 on the search engines for numerous results, a few of them simply using forums. I taught the subject in college for 3 years, second year I taught it they didn't get the permissions set quite right on the school's server, and half the students in my class, put the fictitious products in their finals project, page one on Google. One had to edit out her contact info because lots of folks wanted to buy her neon colored garbage bags! The above methods do work, believe me!!

Oh yeah... And, I knew there was a reason I held off on that Taurus 44 Magnum that everyone was trying to sell me when I was looking for a Smith & Wesson last year!

Whats funny is the number of people that will jump up and down to defend any manufacturer. I was reading another forum a couple days ago and someone chimed in how taurus was one of the top 3 revolver companies in quality etc. I know no amount of real world will change his mind of the 1 pistol he owns which must be the best because he owns it. And there's always people looking to buy them because they're cheap. And for lots of folks that's all that matters. If it fails from time to time, it's no biggie.

Making up statistics here, but I'd best a 90% of gun owner put less than a box a year through a pistol. The odds of having one that will function 100% at that point are really high and those people will defend their pistol to the death. But put 2 boxes a year through and the odds just dropped in half. Put a lot of ammo through, and the problems surface and the problem posts start to surface.

If I knew I could buy a bad one and swap it out until I got a good one, I wouldn't care. But gun stores treat guns like herpes, once you've got it, it's yours.

Indy is absolutely right, I can't remember the exact number but if I remember right the average gun owner puts less than 1000 rounds through any gun in their lifetime. Which is why I am not afraid of buying used guns most of the time.

I never used to be a proponent of it, but now I refuse to carry any gun until I have several hundred rounds through it. Obviously that incurs a cost, but I have full confidence in the guns I carry.

In 15,000 rounds my duty pistol, glock 22, has had one issue, a pin that broke in 3 places. It never stopped functioning and it is hard to say when it happened, I only found out about it during an annual pm.

Quote:I refuse to carry any gun until I have several hundred rounds through it A really wise attitude...Most of them don't really get 'broken in' until at least 200 rounds have gone through it..
Quote:the average gun owner puts less than 1000 rounds through any gun in their lifetime
I'm glad to know that I'm not "Average"..
tongue_smilie.gif

I have one, a Glock 17 that was produced in 1986 with a five digit serial number, and I'd hate to guess how many rounds have been through it...It used to go to one of the Glock armorers every year for inspection and any updates... I probably have more confidence in it than any other that I own, and I shoot all of mine, with the exception of my engraved S&W 29, on a regular basis..

I just got back from my dealer. He inspected the gun and found that the firing pin shroud was sticking out and that was the problem. He phoned Taurus customer service and told them what I was planning to do if they did not rectify the problem. I listened as he had to explain to them that it was not my fault, that there was no way that I tried to repair the gun myself, and on and on. Basically they were still trying to find a way to blame me. Eventually they agreed to send a replacement gun. When the new gun arrives, he is refunding my money and I'm going to purchase another S&W 640. I'm done with Taurus. After I receive the new gun, I'm still going to attempt to get my money refunded for the shipping charges that I incurred when they refused to send a call tag for the first "repair". If they refuse, I have a plan to make them wish they had been more reasonable.

It was funny listening to my dealer talk with the service manager. At one point he flat out told them that he had known me for more than 20 years and that if they didn't give me what I wanted, I would relentlessly seek justice and that I had the means and will to do so. He told them that in his opinion I would prevail and that they would in hindsight probably wish they had just done the right thing. Based on my experience so far my opinion is that the people at Taurus are unworthy of respect or anyone's business. This entire affair is like something from the twilight zone. I'll keep everyone apprised of what happens.

Last edited:
Thank you for your most excellent advice. I've made the changes you've suggested. I'm glad you didn't bite on that Taurus .44 mag.

I've read quite a few Taurus nightmare threads since this debacle, and you are right, there are so many defenders of Taurus. They all say how they've never had a problem with theirs, or that they had a problem and Taurus fixed it. I just laugh when I read them.

Originally Posted By: jethro21Indy is absolutely right, I can't remember the exact number but if I remember right the average gun owner puts less than 1000 rounds through any gun in their lifetime. Which is why I am not afraid of buying used guns most of the time.

I never used to be a proponent of it, but now I refuse to carry any gun until I have several hundred rounds through it. Obviously that incurs a cost, but I have full confidence in the guns I carry.

In 15,000 rounds my duty pistol, glock 22, has had one issue, a pin that broke in 3 places. It never stopped functioning and it is hard to say when it happened, I only found out about it during an annual pm.

I carried a first gen g23 for the first 2/3 of my career, bought used and no idea how many through the tube. 1.5 cases of ammo through it before I left the academy, about 1k rounds/month through it after that for 5 or 6 years +2 or 3 advanced classes that added about a case of ammo each.

Then the PD issued g35L the last few years I was there and I switched to it for duty and still carried the 23 off duty, shot and qual'd with both every month. I never shot expert with both pistols the same day, but I'd shoot expert with one or the other every time. My very last qual, and my last chance to go back to back I shot expert with the 35 and shot a 98 with the 23.

When I took the 23 out of my holster to put the 35 back in so I could go to work, only the frame came out and the slide stayed behind. Found the spring that holds up the takedown slide had broken so as soon as the striker dropped on an empty chamber it field stripped itself. But with a loaded mag it still functioned fine. No idea when in the qual the spring broke, but I blame it and not myself for missing the last expert
laugh.gif

So in I don't know how many thousands of .40 rounds through that pistol, 1 broken piece that did not result in a failure + 1 stovepipe when I limpwristed a round. 0 failures with the 35 that got the same treatment, and I had it starting with 0 rounds down the tube.

Glock could require forced sodomy with every CS claim and I would still buy and depend on them. I'd rather have a quality piece and horrible service than a terrific warranty I get to use over and over again. Taurus sounds like they've made an interesting combination of low quality and bad customer service
laugh.gif

Hmmmm... Guess who's Taurus model 650 CIA thread is climbing to the top?!

Page 3 - At number 24 out of 7,740 results. But that's a pretty good start!
thumbup.gif

I've owned one Taurus, a 445 which is like a Charter Arms Bulldog. Never a problem and I wouldn't part with it. I have 5 shots of .44 Spl in a compact revolver that works great for a price of $260. And I wouldn't sell it for $500.

There's a lot to be said for trying a gun before buying it. Unless I can hold the revolver in my hand and feel the action I won't buy it, no matter who makes it.

I guess I'm like Tuco in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly", but I rarely get burned.

Last edited:
As Coyote Killa stated though joed, his Taurus model 650 CIA problem was only evident, AFTER loading it, and most gun shops are a little hesitant to let you load one up on the showroom floor.

Last edited:
I'm glad you like yours. I myself own 3 other Taurus 9 mm's that function fine and I've owned them since the early 90's. This Taurus model 650 CIA however has been a different story. I did handle the gun before purchase and everything seemed fine. However once I got the thing on the range the problems began. So for me out of 4 guns I got one lemon which is a 25% suck ratio. As I stated previously, I understand that problems happen and that any manufacturer can put out a lemon. It's what they do after the fact that matters. If Taurus would have sent me a call tag on the brand new gun and fixed it right the first time, I would have been okay. If they had treated me with respect along the way, I would have been okay with it. It was their combination of rudeness and contempt combined with their inability to fix the gun in 2 attempts that brought me to this state. I have read on every Taurus thread out there people that come on and defend Taurus. I'm glad you are happy. If you ever have need for repair of your gun, just remember your defense then.

Last edited:
When I first got the Taurus model 650 CIA, it would actually load just fine. It was shooting it that was the problem. They attempted to repair what essentially was a cylinder gap problem. What happened was after the 2nd repair the loaded cylinder would not close at all. The reason was that the firing pin shroud was sticking out about 1/8 inch. It wasn't previously. I still can't understand why they were even working on that part of the gun when it didn't have a problem. They also are supposed to test fire repaired guns which would have been impossible to do since one cannot close the cylinder when it is loaded.

Yes indeed, this Taurus model 650 CIA is climbing the charts fast. Thank you again for your advice and assistance. You are an A+ individual sir !

Well for some reason the Taurus model 650 CIA problem thread, is still on page 3, but it is now being found twice in the results. (Results may vary from datacenter to datacenter and you may not see that on your end, but it is on my end. Google is not 1 big room full of comptuers, its like 30 buildings scattered all over the globe full of computers.) From what I'm seeing it appears both pages are being found separately at this point. Once the databanks figure out both pages are a part of the same thread, it should consolidate results and move us up to page 2 or possibly even page 1 for Taurus model 650 CIA.

HOWEVER... If you look at the Google results for Taurus model 650 CIA problems... you will find that we are already at #1!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Interesting, I did not know google worked that way. I did actually know that when you google TAURUS MODEL 650 CIA Problems that it came in at number one. I also noticed that the Taurus Model 650 CIA search had been moving up page 3 but seems to have stuck at the top of page 3. It is amazing how google can be manipulated so easily. Thanks again for your help on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back