Primos Trigger Sticks?

I will be honest...I just went to Cabelas and played around with both. I don't think I am sold on them. It seems like the monopod would easily be the quickest to get ready, the bipod seemed like it might be more to get setup.

I just feel like carrying around long sticks like that would be an extra thing for me to carry, whereas I bipod is easily attached or detached and is on the rifle.

Variety is the spice of life, so if they aren't for you, then don't buy them.

I have both and use both, and I do believe you are over-estimating both the versatility of a Harris bipod and the "set up" the trigger sticks require.

In use:

Carry & Deployment: The Harris mounts on your rifle, the trigger stick can be walked like a cane, or lashed to a pack. I carry like a cane or staff. That means my deployment is instant, just pull the trigger and it drops to the correct height. The Harris isn't slow, but still requires two movements that are out of the shooting position.

Multi-gun Use: The Harris's can be mounted without tools, and swapping is fairly fast, but I can literally fire a shot, hand a trigger stick to my wife, and have her fire as fast as you could read this. Harris is bolted on, so it takes a minute or two to swap over.

Adjustment: Trigger stick wins by a mile. If the two preset lengths work for you on the Harris, great, but it takes two non-shooting position hand movements to adjust. To set length anywhere in between the locks on a Harris or clone, it takes both hands and you have to hold your tongue just right to get it set equal height. So it takes longer to set the first time... Now your coyote comes in and you have to pivot, that Harris isn't feasibly adjusted while game are moving, the trigger stick just takes the push of a button. On the bipod, you can even shift left to right by not locking the legs fully spread apart, then pushing the rifle left and right. The legs stay put, the mount slides over by articulating the legs and hinges. The Harris is really stuck with two usable lengths in reality.

Prone: The Trigger Stick tripod is useful, the rest are not. You are kidding yourself if you think a 13-23" Harris is stable prone platform, it's far too tall. A 6-9" Harris is a great option, but it forces you to lift and swing the rifle to move on game. That ain't easy, let alone with a heavy barreled rifle. It also requires that you smash down the grass in an arc in order to be able to swing without snagging, which takes far longer and makes more noise than simply spreading out the trigger stick tripod and pivoting on the gun mount. The ability to pivot on the trigger stick instead of lift and swing means I can remain stable and hold on target while moving with game. The Harris cannot. The trigger stick mono and bipeds cannot be used prone, but honestly, nobody should need any support when shooting prone anyway.

Sitting: The 13-23 or 12-27" Harris is great sitting, but again, adjustability, deployment, and mobility on game are limited. The monopod and bipod are a touch tall, so the trigger sticks need to have the feet kicked forward slightly, but they work quite nicely sitting. The short monopod or bipod trigger sticks are ideal for sitting. I feel a lot of flex in my Harris 27" models when preloading with them fully extended, which always makes me nervous that I'm doing damage to an expensive tool. Not a big deal, but it is distracting when I'm needing to focus on shooting. Again, if you need to swing on game, you can't very well, whereas the trigger sticks can articulate, lean, and pivot.

Kneeling: The Harris's are not usable kneeling for a full height adult. Even the 27" is too short, I have to get my @ss in the grass to use it (NRA kneeling style). The trigger sticks are spot on and infinitely adjustable in this height range.

Standing: Again, the Harris can't reach the ground when standing. The short trigger stick bipod and monopod can't either, but the talls are ideal. Comparably, other monopods or bipod sticks require two hands to adjust, which means they cannot be adjusted with the gun mounted.

They ain't for everybody, but I think you're making some mistakes in your analysis that a Harris is faster deploying or more versatile.

Remember you can always leave the bipod legs together and still raise it up and down like a mono. This way you have both possibilities covered. The nice thing is on hill sides sitting sideways one leg will be long and one short and you can readjust quietly by just squeezing the trigger.

I have no dog in this fight ( lol ) but my Harris is to short sitting on my stool. I like to sit higher or stand hunting predators just for movement purposes.

I bought a turkey lounger chair because all the guys loved it. I still use it turkey hunting but it sits to close to the ground and i can't shoot behind me sitting in it , again not mobil enough for predator hunting. I like my shooting sticks but do have to adjust the height manually. Has cost me some easy shots trying to get them adjusted.

THANKS FOR THE TRIGGER STICKS REPORT. I will own a set soon !

I've used the trigger stick bipod for about 3 or 4 years and like it. No problems carrying it around and it seems pretty quick setting up. As stated earlier, it can be used like a mono also. I'd recommend it.

I use the bipods, I have both the short and the tall. I use the short sitting on the ground, usual daytime setup. I use the tall ones at night when standing and scanning. The new Gen2 bipod allows you to spread the legs far enough to use it sitting on the ground if wanted, its also tall enough to use standing. It's also lighter than the tall version I have. I'm really tempted to get one but its very rare that I don't know which size ill be needing. They work really great though, fast easy adjustment. I usually have mine near the center of my gun so it pivots very easily compared to a bipod mounted near the end of the gun.

Yea...I felt like the the bipod legs were a bit of a pain to spread out evenly and setup. The monopod seemed a lot easier, but not sure how stable it would be for those longer shots. The big issue I saw with the bipod was just how big it was. Even carrying it in a pack looked like it would be a pain. It only collapses down to 41" which was a big bummer to me. The monopod collapses much further.

Honestly if the thing was just a smaller package overall (I am referring to the bipod not the monopod) it would be much more attractive to me.

Idk...maybe I should just give the bipod a try, just tough to spend that kind of money on something I am unsure of, but I do see your above points.

Last edited:
Lol ! If your worried about spending money your in the wrong sport !

Just joking. Buy what YOU want. That's what I do, then I read all this info on here and think O crap why didnt I read this before I bought it !

Happy shopping ! What ever you buy if you don't like it just list it in the classifieds on here, it will sell.

I'm sure that no one here is trying to convince you to buy a set. I'm not. But I do really like mine. There is only one item that I take to EVERY stand and thats my trigger sticks. I might change guns, camo, calls, seats(although I think I,ve finally found the one ) etc... That being said I liked them the first time I picked them up. I've purchased more than one thing thinking I should like it and with a little time I would learn to like it. That has seldom been the case. A persons first instinct is normally their best. If you do end up buying a set let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!

I've killed coyotes with the monopod and I like it, but I prefer two legs. That being said, to be successful beyond 250 yards, I used my elbows on my knees for stability. Otherwise, I would have probably had some issues.

Only time I use my Harris is at night and thats off the roof of the truck or Ranger. Other than that its worthless. Primos new gen sticks all the way for me. Just got the 18-38 tri for Xmas and think im really liking it.

I bought the new 2nd gen version with a trigger lock and the yoke pivots independently of the handle so now I can attach a light for night hunting. I'm gonna write to Primos and ask them to incorporate a rail in their next generation to attach lights to.

Back