Primer pockets.

Jay Cummings

I neck sized some cases today that I shot the other day with Wolf primers and an upper end charge of H414. I'm going to try some CCI250 primers for a load I'm working on but wanted to try some WLR primers today cuz I already have them. Went to seat the primers and they basically fall in. When I was seating the Wolf primers the other day they were seating very snug. I went ahead and tried 5 of the WLR primers in place of the Wolf and the group was not as good as the Wolf. Not sure if the snug Wolf primers caused the pockets to grow or what. The load I shot them with didn't seem too hot. Might have trashed about 35 pieces of brass if so. Will loose pockets cause accuracy issues.

Funny I should see this. Winchester has a big problem!!! I just got done measuring some WLR primers that are a loose fit in my brass. The spec is around .211 and these measure .209- I dug out an older white box of WLR primers and they measure .211

I picked up some once fired brass at the range and about 25% was missing primers. Heck the screwballs can't even prime their own brass.

Winchester screwed up, they knew they screwed up, and they unloaded them on us. A loose primer will smoke a bolt face.

2w3qc5d.png

I agree, I have run into the same problem with a newer box of Win primers. They fall right out of commercial brass, but if I go lightly on the swaging of LC brass I can use them there.

Back