Predator hunting, are there more people paticipating?

You have your die hards and your lightweights.. ALOT of lightweights.. FEW die hards... Sure there are alot of people calling preds.. But how many do it consistantly, and are out 20+ times a year?? very very very few.

The number of hard-core coyote hunters is about the same. The number of "lightweights" as getemclose puts it, is increasing though.

In my area, (and this is only what I've observed), there are less "old-style" coyote hunters than the used to be. Mainly because coyotes just aren't worth the wear & tear on things anymore.
By "old-style" I mean guys that hunt w/greyhounds, and similar styles.

But I see more coyote callers each year. How many of those are also hunting bobcats, well, I don't know.
There aren't enough red fox left in the area, outside of various city limits to worry about.
There are plenty of "dedicated" callers in the area...including some fellow PM members.
But most of the guys I hear about that have taken up calling in the past few years, only hunt a few times after deer season is over.
And a lot of them take about 10% of the interest in learning how to call coyotes, as they do about hunting their deer.

Due to the more challenging conditions in New Hampshire, I think the active predator hunter population has stayed relatively flat.

Originally Posted By: getemcloseYou have your die hards and your lightweights.. ALOT of lightweights.. FEW die hards... Sure there are alot of people calling preds.. But how many do it consistantly, and are out 20+ times a year?? very very very few.

Very true.

Up here we got a few that hunt constantly and others that well once in a while you''ll see em out.. in my area there is at least 4 that are out mostly every 2 to 3 days / nights... just something we do when we get together.....and this includes 2 females that love the sport

since deer hunting is about done with up here and the same with Partridge season.... Its all about eliminating the coyote from the game....Yeah like thats going to happen right....

Back