Powder recommendations for 22-250

Varget
IMR4064
Reloder 15

36.0 of 4064 with a 55, or 36.5 of Varget with the same 55 is what I am running in my 1in12 twist right now.

Wonderful accuracy, getting about 3,725fps out of them.

I jacked the 52 Berger Match Target Hollow Points wayyyy up with RL15. Should have compared these at distance to my V-Max's and BlitzKings, but I had more 55 V-Max's than anything else (still do), and Varget seems to be the least temp sensitive of the bunch. I'm not as crazy about Varget in other calibers, like my 243. But in the 22-250, I really like it. Good luck to you.

I have only loaded for one 22-250 and not a lot. But I was taught years ago how I choose powder. I go down the list of powder for the bullet I want to use and pick the one that gives the best velocity. From there it's simply starting backed off the max load four or so grains and working up. Generally always find a load in there I like. In the case of two or more powder's giving close to the same high velocity's, I'll give them all a shot. I have no idea why that works for me, it just does!

Last edited:
Just yesterday I tested a new load using Winchester Staball 6.5 powder. I'm shooting a 55gr sierra gameking (1365) out of my 250. I found a load that shoots .390 of and inch at 100 yards. I'm using 42.5gr which is max charge from Hodgdon reloading data (start low and work up) with no signs of pressure. Most ball powders like at least %90 case fill or more. This load definitely does.
Out of my 26 inch barrel my chrono gave me an average velocity of 3926 fps. Needless to say, I've got a good thing going. Check out the Staball powder and see what your gun does.
Good luck, be safe, happy shooting.

Back