Portable shooting benches.

fzapp

Hi guys! Just wanted your thoughts about portable shooting benches. Who in your opinion who makes the best and why. Plan on trying my hand at PD hunting this summer(S.Dakota?). Do many of you even use a bench? I've looked at a few on the net and they all seem to be a bit lite for slender 240# mass! Anybody hunt any of the resevation lands?
Recomondations are defintly welcome!

Check out the benches at Coyote Jakes. Awesome benches and should hold up easily to your mass.

Last edited:
Made my own out of some banquet table legs and nice piece of plywood with a rubber cover. Use a folding aluminum lawn chair for a seat.

I bought one from Cabelas (Elite model) and a buddy of mine got one that swivels 360 degrees and he weighs over 300 and he loves his. Mine is great for about a 30 degree coverage and then you have to scoot it around which is a little awkward, but it is really stable. For long ranges and time periods, I like the bench a lot better than shooting sticks. My legs tend to go numb sitting on the ground for very long.

I've got the B-R Pivot in alum. It's is top of the line,and not cheap. I'm a similar size and it serves me well. The alum. one is heavy 45# and I think the steel one is around 75#. VarmintMasters.com is where I got mine.

I use a Roto Bench since it will work in the back of my truck on my tower platfrom or on the ground. Some states may not let you shoot from the back of a truck like we do in Texas. It holds up a big man like Tommy J quite well.
DSC00001.jpg

Tommy Johnson when he "fat"
TJ8-20-05.jpg

Here is a pic of the bench I've been using. It is simple and nothing fancy. I bought the fold up legs and added a plywood top, cut a carry handle in the side of it and it's ready. I used it in Wyoming on a prairie dog shoot and it did just fine. There are others out there more solid I know, but mine cost me about $25 or so - a hunting friend provided the plywood and I provided the legs. But, mine is not shabbly, it's pretty sturdy actually.

ShootingBench.jpg

Thanks guys on the info on portable benches. Bob Addey have you got a manufacters link for your bench? You boys in Texas sure know how to hunt in style! Any of you hunted PDs in S. Dakota on indian reservation lands? I'm new to this and am thinking of getting a guide for my first trip. What do you think? Sorry about not repling sooner but am running a 12hr swing shift.

Quote:
Any of you hunted PDs in S. Dakota on indian reservation lands? I'm new to this and am thinking of getting a guide for my first trip. What do you think?

Are you a "Yupper"? Drop me an email and I will send you some info on Rosebud.
sam_spade@sbcglobal.net

I built two of these. Mine are of 1" marine plywood and are incredibly stable.

The Booger Bench

The pictures link gives you a complete set of plans with dimensions.

I used scrap plywood and banquet table legs for mine and have about $10 per bench in them that I paid for the stainless screws and paint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Whoever mentioned the rubber mat for the top please elaborate. Sounds like a good idea. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

$bob$

ld/$bob$ - On my shooting bench I glued a 1" thick closed cell rubber mat on the top. Makes the bench a bit heavier but anybody that shoot tons of prairie dogs will tell you that it is hell on your elbows to use a bench without it. Those grainy plastic top models or the wood tops are pretty rough by 'day two'. I have had guys tell me that the rubber sacrifices accuracy..........several thousand prairie dogs would disagree....if they could.

I bought the Roto Bench from the manufacturer in Mt. I used to have all the info but have since cleaned out the desk. I finally went and looked in one of my old Varmint Hunter mags and found the address. Accuright, 119 East Main, Dept. VH, Belgrade MT. 59714. 406/388-7234

6mm06, I have the exact same set up as you. I shoot better groups at 600 yards off it than I do the concrete bench at our range.

I have a Coleman 2 seater camping table I use. Compact alum. frame, stools are seperate, it folds up and is easy to carry and pretty sturdy.

Back