Please help so confused

I've never seen a ring like this, caused by jamming a bullet into the lands. If it was me, I would be headed to a good smith for a chamber check, as this is not normal.

Extreme run out? If you roll the rounds across a piece of glass, how much do the bullets wobble?

Are you sure that you have your dies set up right. I know that hornady has some pretty thin jackets and if you are don't have your die set up right you could be squeezing the jacket because you are crimping before bullet is seated and in doing so you could be bulging the bullet at the point where you are seeing the ring. If it does not do it on factory 55gr vmaxes then you have something wrong with the set up of the die. A sure way to find out is if you have a bullet puller pull a factory and pull one of yours and then see what they compare to the ones that you want to reload.

It would be a possibility that the bullet is being crushed, but I think you would see a larger ring where the seating stem contacts the bullet.

Small bore high velocity rifles sometimes get a weird little ring of hard carbon in the throat. It is very hard and can be very tough to remove. Usually I find it when my groups start to open up. The owner of Pac-Nor barrels told me about this. I don't see it often but it can certainly happen. I am not sure if it is the powder type or another cause but it is a frustrating thing to have happen if you don't know to look for it. You cannot see it without a borescope. The only way to remove it is to chuck a bronze brush on a drill and slop it up with good bore cleaner and spin the brush in that area. Pac-Nor recommended stuff called "Witches Brew."

Did you try backing your seater die out about nickel thickness or more and then adjust the seating stem as was mentioned earlier? Barlow

it is not land marks. the lands would leave individual marks with space in between them.

sounds like a die problem. start over with reading the die set up instructions.

Would it be ok to seat it down to 2.200 col for 52gr and 2.220 for 55gr?? The Hornady book has them a little longer but I looked elsewhere and seen some that have a coal like this. Also when I loaded my first dummy round at 2.260 as the max coal I was jammed in the lands. I didn't think it would be that close

Originally Posted By: msinc Small bore high velocity rifles sometimes get a weird little ring of hard carbon in the throat. It is very hard and can be very tough to remove.

Distinct possibility, but not entire story; doesn't explain why handloaded bullet marks and factory doesn't when round is chambered . If not marked when it comes out of the die, has to be in rifle chamber as related to coal of different rounds.

Have never seen a bulged bullet caused by crimping before bullet fully seated; this usually results in a bulged shoulder.

A barrel w/low round count will, indeed, usually engrave the lands in the bullet if seated too long for the chamber, however, a barrel w/quite a number of rounds (which could be expected to have throat erosion) can mark a bullet similar to the picture (as I see it).

I intentionally loaded a dummy round long and chambered it in one of my target rifles which does have several thousand rounds down the tube.

This mark @ .320", indicated by jaw of caliper was made by the collet when I pulled the bullet.

The mark @ about .210" was made by the somewhat eroded throat of the barrel:

Throat marks show a bit better on this picture:

Try seating bullets a bit deeper and I think your ring will vanish.

Regards,
hm

"doesn't explain why handloaded bullet marks and factory doesn't when round is chambered"

Maybe, maybe not...different bullets hit the ring at different points.

Yea first time for this rifle,but I don't even have 100rounds down it yet. The ring is there all the way from 2.255 down to 2.220. Which is way below the Hornady book on col

Originally Posted By: hm1996 Originally Posted By: msinc Small bore high velocity rifles sometimes get a weird little ring of hard carbon in the throat. It is very hard and can be very tough to remove.

Distinct possibility, but not entire story; doesn't explain why handloaded bullet marks and factory doesn't when round is chambered . If not marked when it comes out of the die, has to be in rifle chamber as related to coal of different rounds.

Have never seen a bulged bullet caused by crimping before bullet fully seated; this usually results in a bulged shoulder.

A barrel w/low round count will, indeed, usually engrave the lands in the bullet if seated too long for the chamber, however, a barrel w/quite a number of rounds (which could be expected to have throat erosion) can mark a bullet similar to the picture (as I see it).

I intentionally loaded a dummy round long and chambered it in one of my target rifles which does have several thousand rounds down the tube.

This mark @ .320", indicated by jaw of caliper was made by the collet when I pulled the bullet.

The mark @ about .210" was made by the somewhat eroded throat of the barrel:

Throat marks show a bit better on this picture:

Try seating bullets a bit deeper and I think your ring will vanish.

Regards,
hm I can't go out to far. Also,the ring look just like a cannelure? But cut as deep

Have heard of, but never experienced the carbon ring but I am pretty anal about cleaning rifle before putting away, whether it is fired, one round or 300.

Would be interesting to have a look at your chamber with a scope to see what's going on, BUT.....there has to be a difference between the two bullets (factory/handloads). The ogive of your handloaded bullet is larger diameter than the other bullet at the same point or it would not mark when round is chambered.

Regards,
hm

Ill get it tweaked this weekend when I ha more time. The ring on the bullet seems to perfect for carbon has marks in it like a cannelure or plier marks. I'll try to take a better picture in the morning after work

if you have a bullet puller pull a bullet from a factory round, load it with your dies to c.o.l.& see if you still have the marks. that will tell you if your bullets are bad. unless you have a starret dial caliper ( or something equal ) I would not pay much attention to those measurements. cheap dial calipers can give you a different reading every time. depending on thumb pressure. if you have an expander ball to expand the neck of the casing, load a dummy round,chamber it,& pull it back out. that will give you your throat length on that rifle. they are not all the same, even on same models. if you don't have an expander ball, take a casing you have fired in that rifle, gently roll the neck of that casing between two boards until you have enough pressure to hold your bullet. then chamber it, pull it from the chamber easy & don't let it hit the floor. set your seating dies to match this round carefully then load another sized dummy round to this c.o.l. for your rifle. if the bolt is a little stiff you may need to seat the bullet deeper a little at a time to achieve smoothness or for it to fit in your chamber or magazine.

I got it to load smooth but I'm still getting a ring around the ogive area. Chambering fine but would they be safe to fire????

I'm making a dummy round before I load charged cases this is where the problem started. And at 2.260 is where my bullet is jammed into the lands (just seems so short) I take it down to 2.245 and I had no problems other than the ring.

Back