Plastic tipped bullets... How ?

getfoxy

Sst, tsx, accubond, v-max.. Etc. Is the principle the same on all of these? If so, exactly how does a plastic tipped bullet work? Reason i ask is because i picked up a box of 165g ssts at my local gun store yesterday and an older guy said he refused to shoot a plastic tipped bullet. I was i'n a bit of hurry and didn't really strike up a conversation as to why.. So do tell.

Thanks i'n advance

I like them. they seem to fly better and shoot flatter at longer ranges than a hollow point. i think youll be happy with them.

Oh I am. I love the sst bullet. It's alot cheaper than the others and works well. I killed two little bucks with the 150g sst and 47.5 g of varget out of my 30-06 during our rifle season. I was pretty impressed with the internal damage it did when i dressed the deer. I just picked up the 165s to see if they are gonna shoot as well. I'm just curious what exactly the plastic tip does, and why someone might not like them. Is there a reason or is it ignorance? And i can't imagine an explosive v-Max working the same as an sst, accubond, or ttssx?

Last edited:
Poly tips give greater BC.
They start expansion of the bullet.

As far as I know the diff in bullets is thickness of the jacket and make up of the core.

People that have been "burned" or do like them, proly used varmint bullets on to big of game = weak penetration.

GF I BELIEVE the V-MAX, SST, NOSLER work on the same principle. IF you removed the plastic tip you have a hollow point only more exagerated. What seemes to happen is the BT stabalizes the bullet in flight and initiates the expansion/destruction of the bullet on the way in. I use SST and V-MAX both; SST for deer (154GR hornady) and 50GR V-MAX exclusively. The velocity on my 22-250 is around 3400 FPS so that there is, essentially, no splash unless I hit the shoulder. The SST at 2900 FPS functions almost identically with tha of the V-MAX. Long winded here.

BT, from what I have read, is for stabalization and delayed expansion; unlike your hollow point.

There may be other opinions on this though.

Early ballistic tips had a rep for exploding on contact, but there's always the possibility that people were using inappropriate bullets for the task, same as today. Using a ballistic varmint on an elk is bad news, using a ballistic elk on an elk, works great.

I actually question how much greater the BC is though with all the tests on deformed tips resulting in no POI change from perfect tips. It seems the base is more important than the tip.

However, with a hollowpoint you do run the risk of it clogging with tissue and not expanding reliably. Having the plastic begin the expansion of the hollowpoint bypasses this.

There ya go, clear as mud
smile.gif

FWIW when I bought my first duty pistol I had an old SOB [beeep] up and down about semi's and how a scratch on the barrel would render them useless, but a revolver always works. I've cleared I don't know how many semi failures in a second and was back on target, the only revolver failures I've had to fix took a few days and some tools.

People shoot/own what their dad shot/owned and scorn anything different.

True dat! Any other gun besides a remmy is junk to. That's a popular with the guys round here. As much as i like remmy, my cheap savage shoots just as good, if not dare i say....better. Blasphemy!

The jackets on the V-Max and NBTs intended for use on varmints is thinner than the jacket on a bullet like an SST or heavier NBTs, solid performers when used appropriately...

Originally Posted By: getfoxySst, tsx, accubond, v-max.. Etc. Is the principle the same on all of these? If so, exactly how does a plastic tipped bullet work? Reason i ask is because i picked up a box of 165g ssts at my local gun store yesterday and an older guy said he refused to shoot a plastic tipped bullet. I was i'n a bit of hurry and didn't really strike up a conversation as to why.. So do tell.

Thanks i'n advance

Vmax and Ballistic tip = basically the same

SST is close to Accubond but not QUITE as tough. Scirocco, Accubond are about the same

TTSX GMX Etip are all about equal

The tip is to help with BC as well as consistent expansion at all velocities

The original Nosler BT's advertised the poly tip as much tougher than lead.....preventing tip damage from feeding.
This of course would result in better ballistic coefficients. It was a theoretical BS gimmick to sell bullets.

The gimmick caught on and sold millions and millions of bullets for nosler. Now, with further development, the poly tipped bullets have become the standard for many applications.

I started loading Nosler BT's the first day they became available way back when and I still load them today. They are without question my favorite bullet....sealed by the introduction of the AccuBond.

I know guys also love the Hornadys but I've never had good luck with them...accuracy-wise....im a Nosler guy.

Originally Posted By: firstcoueswas80
Vmax and Ballistic tip = basically the same
SST is close to Accubond but not QUITE as tough. Scirocco, Accubond are about the same
TTSX GMX Etip are all about equal
The tip is to help with BC as well as consistent expansion at all velocities

SST's are slightly little tougher than the Ballistic Tip.

The Interbond is Hornady's version of the Nosler Accubond, and Swift Scirocco II's.

I knew I was missing one, couldnt think of what it was! The IB!

Anyways, I think the TTSX is king. I just recovered one from my coues deer today from my .257 wby and it weight 99.7 grains... Thats my 3rd recovered TTSX this year... 2 in Africa ( 168 .308) and this one from the .257 wby

I have a large bait of 7mm 140g old style Ballistic tips that I shoot in a 7 mag on deer, even killed two bull elk with them...I do place my shots...I do stay off the shoulder or not take the shot.

I substitue the 140g Accubond when I feel the need to shoot from any angle.

As has been said, the Bronze tip started it. A Canadian bullet was the first with a poly/resin/plastic/whatever tip but I don't have a reference book within 1800 miles to tell you its name. The old time reason was to protect bullet tips from deformation during recoil. When high BC bullets suddenly became ultra important the focus changed to being slippery in air. Mechanically, the plastic tip drives back into the core of the bullet initiating expansion. Tipped bullets begin to expand more quickly than soft points, requiring an adjustment to the jacket design. The reason there is a Sirocco II these days is a further re-design of the jacket shape to control expansion and increase penetration.

I firmly believe that the reason tipped bullets sell so well is not how they perform inside animals but how they perform in the heads of shooters. A bright red tip on a SST is sexy as all heck! They look accurate. They look fast. They look deadly.

Usually when you meet a guy who refuses to shoot plastic tipped bullets he has heard (less often experienced) that plastic tipped bullets blow up on game. Early tipped bullets did have that problem on occasion. Fact of the matter is, no matter what is leading the charge, it is the jacket that is the most important part. Starting expansion is easy, controlling it is the tough part.

If you're interested in bullet design and terminal performance, I would encourage you to look for "Rifle Bullets For The Hunter - A Definitive Study", compiled by Richard Mann and including many knowledgeable gun writers. Also, call and ask some questions of bullet manufacturers. Sierra has been very informative and patient with my questions in the past.

Last edited:
I do not have any riviting information or conclusions about plastic tipped bullets, but after reading the end of your post, it would seam that I need to invite you to our annual
Shoot and Burn a pile of tires on Earth Day Celebration.

I have been using Acubonds or Interbonds for big game hunting for the last several years in different rifles. For antelope, deer and elk complete pass though with lots of internal damage. Shot one wild buffalo with a 225gr Interbond it broke a near side rib going in and the front leg on the far side, came to rest under the skin on the far side. After cleaning the recovered bullet it weighted 200gr.

Back