Pistol caliber lever guns questions?

Yeah, I'd wrap it with tape if it isn't bead blasted, but I think the Marlin is already bead blasted. It also has a peep site already built in which I love too, and it has a Rail for a Reflex site which is what I thought would be good for Deer hunting in case I had to shoot on the run! I just hope to have it by next years season since it's only 2 weeks long here in Indiana. The gun season with firearms that is. I don't want to hunt with a pistol. I could always use a muzzle loader or shotgun, etc, but for me that's old hat..

Thanks so much guys..
Tim

I like my muzzleloader and have taken some nice deer with it. Shotguns are for shooting shot. Pistols are a great challenge, and a lot of fun. When you kill a deer with one, you know you have earned it.........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunStainless steel left in the white is WAY too bright for my liking on a hunting rifle. I would have to bead blast it or cerakote it.........
by the time the deer or any other game see it there more interested in the two large hole in wich all there life fluids are rapidly escaping!!

Anything that reflects sunlight when afield isn't worth taking afield, IMO.

Deer/game aren't the only things I like to remain invisible from.........

Originally Posted By: JonathanOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunStainless steel left in the white is WAY too bright for my liking on a hunting rifle. I would have to bead blast it or cerakote it.........
by the time the deer or any other game see it there more interested in the two large hole in wich all there life fluids are rapidly escaping!!

Hmm,if Carlos Hathcock can pick it up from 300 yards out, wonder how far a critter can pick it out from?

I would ask all they grey scale sighted animals I have shot ...but oh ya they are dead...and they can't talk!

wow.... some people just want to have a peein contest!
...And White Feather( Master gunery SGT.Hathcock) used what he had and made it work....started with a modified 50 cal. made to shoot single shot with a jerry riged scope mount!
....when you are good well you are good, that is one of the things I admire about him so much!

all I was saying is if thats what you have ...it can,will and does work!
2Muchgun, as a side note I was thinking about cerakote as well but so far i have not had any issues being picked out...even my coyote up close!...I thought it would be a big deal but seams as long as it is not being moved around a lot it is fine!

Have critters been killed with stainless rifles? Absolutely, but it's kinda like decking out in camo then shining like a diamond

after the Rem/Marly take over the guns have gone to pot!...the only gun out of 13 that I checked with the gunsmith that was not broken or un safe to fire was a stainless...so I bought it lol...it works

I use it most of all as a bush gun...not a counter sniper rifle and for it's intended task it will work just fine!

I know that you understand movment is a far greater sin then a shiny gun as all blued guns are shiny too!...and I am sure that there are hunters that do very well with them as well...no? ....or does the gun have to be camo or it's not worth getting out of bed?
GEDC0317.jpg

GEDC0308-1.jpg
....I am not exactly new to this game either!!

again not trying to start a peein contest,just get a little razed by people that claim they know it all and that there is no room for anyone elese oppions...nor am I thrilled with anyone posting smart craks on topics they don't even have an interest in ..just to get the pot stired up!

this place is a great place, and one that we all call home ..it is also a place of learning and shareing!!

Jonathan

Last edited:
No one is stirring the pot but you.... You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. No pissing contest so quit while you're ahead

You seem to be the one who has a problem with others opinions. I could care less what kind of rifle you hunt with, just stating that a shiny stainless rifle let's off a pretty sharp glare. All of my guns are wood/blue and FYI it does NOT shine as bad as a stainless

Foxy out

Originally Posted By: getfoxyNo one is stirring the pot but you.... You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. No pissing contest so quit while you're ahead

You seem to be the one who has a problem with others opinions. I could care less what kind of rifle you hunt with, just stating that a shiny stainless rifle let's off a pretty sharp glare. All of my guns are wood/blue and FYI it does NOT shine as bad as a stainless
Sorry was not really aimed at you..as you most of the time make a heck of a lot of sence to me ...I agree that a blued is less noticeable then a stainless...just not so sure how much that affects a hunt...no stir stick here my friend..I enjoy a good read and others expertise!

I was more commenting on the one liner pot stiring from someone eles and i am sorry if I got wires crossed with you!

I was just looking at my own pic's and i am seeing a lot of shine from the blued barrel..and even a bit from the camo!

that is what I ment with the whole movement thing,as I think even though the outline and shrp lines are broken up when they move unnaturaly it's game over..at least that has been my experiance what do you think?

My .243 is stainless. I guess I'm not a REAL varmint hunter.
frown.gif

lol
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

EDIT: My old man has a Marlin .357 lever gun, it is quite enjoyable.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I know this ran toward lever guns but also consider the new bolt action 44 mag from Ruger its a sweet little rifle. Typically the cartridges allowed are straight wall cases so check and see if 45-70 is allowed if so that is definately the way to go in the Marlin guide guns series - lots of smack down.

Well... Um... My apologies then lol.

Alls I know it's pretty darn easy for me to pick out a stainless bbl in the field. Blued, not so much. Big difference between glare and shine IMHO.

It was just meant as a funny lol not a personal attack.

The key here IMO is that it's pretty easy for a person to pick one out, who ever said it was easy for a deer/coyote/whatever to pick one out. We after all, only have an educated guess as to what they see. No doubt they see sunlight glare, but the chances of one getting into perfect position to see it on a round barrel are slim IMO, and could be done on a non-stainless gun as well.

I never really seen an animal that cared, but the same goes for camo clothing, as long as i'm not flailing around trying to get into position. I guess some could come back and say, "well what about the animals you didn't see". What I dont know wont hurt me I guess. lol

I've seen the sunlight glare off a wet leaf before, but I didn't grunt, throw my tail up, and run out of the woods either.
tongue.gif

I have hunted with SS rifles, and hunted with others with SS rifles, left in the white. All I can say is, absolutely you can kill critters with them. We did. I did. But they give off a glare at times that I would just rather not deal with. Any other finish is better, in terms of concealment/stealth. My bud carried one for years. It was never hard to tell where he was at on a sunny day. They are just not for me........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI have hunted with SS rifles, and hunted with others with SS rifles, left in the white. All I can say is, absolutely you can kill critters with them. We did. I did. But they give off a glare at times that I would just rather not deal with. Any other finish is better, in terms of concealment/stealth. My bud carried one for years. It was never hard to tell where he was at on a sunny day. They are just not for me........

That's reasonable, to each his own......
smile.gif

What often gets missed in these discussions is the fact that animals we pursue do not see what we see. If we're talking a Vassili Zaitsev stalking a Major Konig, a stainless rifle might not be the best tool. However, animals do not see the same bright colorful landscape that humans see. We can add $50 of Krylon to our new rifle and make it invisible to each of us. For the animals we are pursuing, in their mostly grey and black world of vision tinged with light shades of blues which can be compared somewhat to what a human with red green colorblindness sees, they don't see the intensities of colors which we see daily and which we try to hide by "camoing" our rifles and bodies.

However, even though they see a very dull world in front of them in comparison to the color-filled vision we have, they have an ability to detect movement of even the most obscure item in their range of vision. For example, a hunter in bright orange vividly stands out to us as its supposed to in the field. For a member of the canine species, they see the same orange as a very dull "tannish" color that blends into the other things in their normal range of limited colors and it is almost indistinguishable for them among other surroundings until it moves, even slightly.

If Ronald McDonald in his work clothes remained motionless while calling coyotes, he'd probably do as well as the rest to us would in a ghillie, again as long as he and his rifle remain motionless at critical times.

Color is one thing. Light is another. Critters can see reflected light just as we can. Heck, my dog will follow the reflection from my watch around the room........

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunColor is one thing. Light is another. Critters can see reflected light just as we can. Heck, my dog will follow the reflection from my watch around the room........

I'm sure he will. But he sees the movement and not the light intensity like we do. A dog does not perceive the same things we do in our world in the same way we do.

For us its simply a reflection of light that our color-sensitive sight allows us to easily see. For the dog its seen as movement in his range of relatively dull color vision which his sense of sight perceives much better than we can.

Back