Photon XT 4.6x Night Vision Scope Review

Hey BB, that's great. Does that mean that I and others will get a new cover?

Bob, I assume the 50mm lens will gather a bit more light, but that's just me guessing. Bennybone should be able to answer that one since he is on Sightmark ProStaff.

Also, to my understanding, a Butler Creek cover will fit. I think 1lobo used one, can't remember the size.

I am assuming the greater 6.5x magnification will require a bit more light, thus the 50mm lens.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Hey BB, that's great. Does that mean that I and others will get a new cover?

Bob, I assume the 50mm lens will gather a bit more light, but that's just me guessing. Bennybone should be able to answer that one since he is on Sightmark ProStaff.

Also, to my understanding, a Butler Creek cover will fit. I think 1lobo used one, can't remember the size.

I am assuming the greater 6.5x magnification will require a bit more light, thus the 50mm lens.

Morning -

Yes you and others will be getting a cover. As they are finalized and inspected and in supply sufficient to cover all units sold and onhand Sightmark will let us know how to contact them for the replacement part.

As for the 6x with the 50mm lens, I haven't handled one yet so I can't tell you if the larger front lens correlates to a brighter image as a result of drawing in more light. There are some variables involved which have a profound impact on the digital night scope systems. For example if a larger lens is placed in front of a smaller native lens it could actually lower the amount of light gathering into the sensor. Also the sensitivity of the sensor can be managed via software and with a bigger lens it could be thought that it is the lens at play when in fact it isn't completely the case.

My philosophy has always been to wait and see until I can drive and then give an opinion on differences
sneaky2.gif

BB

Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Size 31 works though it is tight. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in mine and that is too big. I plann to use a 1/8 hole in the next one and see how that works. A piece of dark film over the hole helps too.

Originally Posted By: stupidnewbieBennyBones, you mentioned point of impact changing when you change batteries. I must have missed that one. Can you elaborate?

Sorry not a point of impact change but rather a loss of X/Y settings when the batteries are removed.

So for instance you zero the scope and your settings are X=4 and Y=-10 and you SAVE by holding down the encoder wheel. You power down the scope and can power up and the settings are there.

So far I know of only 2 reports of those settings being lost when the batteries are pulled.

The scope is supposed to have an internal memory that stores the settings so we will have to wait and see if others experience the same or if it was limited to the two accounts I have read of.

BB

I am curious to see if re-entering the x/y coordinates after having lost them. If the scope does return to zero. I know it's supposed too but will be interesting to see if it really does.

Mine does David. I've had to re-enter coordinates a couple of times and I checked it for accuracy and it was right where I expected it to be. Hope that holds true for you.

Great. I hope mine does too.

I can see this feature as being a very good thing "IF" it works as it should. A guy could keep a list of coordinates in his pocket for a variety of shooting distances (mainly for stationary or bait site hunting) and it would be a simple matter of adjusting the x/y corrdinates to put the bullet spot on at any given distance.

Originally Posted By: robertjay53Great post 6mm06 !!! You mention that the lens cover for the objective does not stay secure. Could you replace with a butler Creek ? I would strictly be using for night hunting only and other than sighting in I would not need to use the Photons lens cover. I also see that they have a 6.5x X 50. What would be the advantage of the 50mm over the 42mm objective lens ? Again thanks for the great post
smile.gif
Bob

Bob,

The larger diameter objective lens gathers more light as necessary to produce a reasonable recognition range for the additional magnification of 6.5x. It is also outfitted with a 780nm internal IR device that will produce more useable light than the 810nm IR used on the 4.6x. The result is a posted recognition range that is about 100 yards further than the 4.6x. The only downfall to the 780nm device is a more intense signature (red glow) that is easier for coyotes and other varmints to detect. As far as I know, the 6.5x units are now yet available from Sightmark. Kevin

I have my scope mounted on a one piece mount with larue style dismounts. My intention was to move it from one rifle to another. I probably won't do that now as I am having pretty good luck with the AR. I got my first coyote with the 4.6 XT early this morning. I think I will leave well enough alone. In this part of the country, a heavier caliber just isn't necessary, yet. We did have a wild hog killed pretty near my farm last week, so maybe that will change.

1lobo, nice going on drawing first blood. Did you get photos of the coyote?

Things have been really slow here, though two coyotes did visit my bait site something over a week ago. They haven't been back. I keep hoping.

Kids have got my camera, so no pictures. I'm a dinosaur with technology since I retired and haven't got the gadgets. The coyote was really dark colored, almost black and big, not sure, but might have been a coy-dog. We've had them around here. I sure appreciate what the Photon can do, with a little help from Flir. My ps32 lit this ole gal up, and the Photon signed the warrant.

Just a short update on the Photon. Last night I got out in my yard again, looking out about 75-80 yards or so. Seems the scope did considerably better than my first night of testing.

Ilobo, I think you are right about the need to get the IR light right. Once I learned more about adjusting the scope's brightness setting, as well as adjusting the LLTL-001, the scene is much better. I am liking the scope more and more all the time.

As we have discussed already, for $500 I can't think of any other scope that will outperform it.

If the rain stops I hope to get out one night soon and get some video samples.

6mm06,

Any slight rain or fog or snow will affect the performance of any light intensified NV system especially if you are using IR assistance. As I recall, your first look through the unit was on a rainy night. Was it raining last night when you tried it ? Kevin

Kevin,

No, last night was not raining when I tested it, though it did rain a bit earlier. That too could be part of the problem I had on the first night's test. But, I do believe I was somewhat set back by all the brightness of the LLTL-01 and the scope's sensitivity. It was different than what I have been used to with the bullet camera.

I had planned to go out tonight and do a video review of the scope, but it rained again this evening, with heavy wind and cold too. Seems this nasty weather just lingers. I'll get it done sooner or later.

I have a life-size coyote mount my son did for me. It's a 33 pound male I took a few years back and I thought that placing it in a field at about 100 yards would be a good item to test the scope on. I'm looking forward to doing that. Hopefully soon.

6mmo6,

That would be a better test than the coyote target I use. A real coyote would not reflect light like the targets do. This rain is killing all of us here in the Midwest too !!

Kevin

I'm more than a little bummed that all you guys have yours already and I'm still waiting for mine. Jon where are you at in NE. I'm up in ALbion

Back