Past Versus Present Americans

I was taught to work and i went back to work. Yes being bored was one reason, another was a new store opening up and nobody able, (or applying) to run that department. It was temp job and if it wasn't for my gun addiction i would probably just go hunting.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: bluealteredI think a lot of us can name more than a couple of things made in the USA in our homes. I can think of more than a dozen firearms just sitting around me to start with and that's not even moving out of this room.
So what is wrong with those over 65 wanting to still work? The past generations learned to work for living and some get bored and go back to work, others have lost everything and must go back to work.

People working past 65 stalls a lot of job markets. I'm sure I'll be guilty of it, too, but when you have some old guy relaxing at the top, it halts all forward promotions.

Horse apples and bull patties.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: littledawgIsn't Wallmart an all American success story????? Probably employs more entitled 65+ people than any other employer in the USA.

what is the definition of an entitled 65+ person?

hoping to get an answer.

Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker
I'm just going to practice what I preach, take a step back from this modern hustle and bustle to nowhere while eating chemical laden food. I put my house up for sale today, in hopefully less than 2 months I will be building my cordwood home and getting ready to live more off the land, not rely on money and expensive gadgets made to break in a year or two to get me through my day. And my young friends will be jealous, a couple are already talking about doing the same thing, and I will preach the virtues of living sustainably instead of the modern rat race that is so meaningless and unnatural.

That sounds great!
What do the wife and kids think about the new life style?

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: bluealteredI think a lot of us can name more than a couple of things made in the USA in our homes. I can think of more than a dozen firearms just sitting around me to start with and that's not even moving out of this room.
So what is wrong with those over 65 wanting to still work? The past generations learned to work for living and some get bored and go back to work, others have lost everything and must go back to work.

People working past 65 stalls a lot of job markets. I'm sure I'll be guilty of it, too, but when you have some old guy relaxing at the top, it halts all forward promotions.

Really? I watched two older gentlemen sit in comfy management positions with not a care in the world for 5 years, because they didn't want to retire. They didn't want to do much work, either.

That's not the case all the time, but sometimes it is.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: dogcatcherOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterOriginally Posted By: bluealteredI think a lot of us can name more than a couple of things made in the USA in our homes. I can think of more than a dozen firearms just sitting around me to start with and that's not even moving out of this room.

Really? I watched two older gentlemen sit in comfy management positions with not a care in the world for 5 years, because they didn't want to retire. They didn't want to do much work, either.

i have seen dozens of 20 and 30 year olds hired for a job. they did not know anything, did not want to learn anything and basically were just sucking up oxygen that could be better used by others.

that's not the case all the time, but sometimes it is. more and more it is.

Ask any employer today what is his biggest problem and to a man they will all tell you it's finding people willing to work. A good friend of mine was a supervisor in a local chemical plant that hires only college graduates and he went through around 20 people who were hired and basically refused to do any sort of manual labor such as replacing valves, rebuilding piping or anything that didn't involve sitting at a desk using a computer.

I retired after 22 years as a flooring dealer when my wife's health went bad and just recently went to work for the dealer I left when I started my own business. A good flooring installer who is willing to work can make well over $200,000 yearly but you won't find any young men wanting to learn the trade as it's hard manual labor.

Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater

So you think you are "entitled" to get that job. They earned it, when they are ready to retire that position will then be open.

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherOriginally Posted By: Flesh Eater

So you think you are "entitled" to get that job. They earned it, when they are ready to retire that position will then be open.

THIS is funny. You have no idea the circumstances surrounding my personal situation. I'm currently sitting in one of those positions, which is at the very top, and a lot of my staff are in their 30's. I find all of them, more or less, willing to work their butts off for me. However, I'm also on the floor doing manual labor with my employees, so maybe that's a motivator.

I know a lot of people on here are older, and have an opinion of the younger generation, but I can honestly say I've met more lazy old people than I have lazy young people. Guess it all depends on your locale.

I was raised on a farm and was taking a water jug and sandwich to the field and staying by myself all day when I was nine.Before that I was considered to young to drive a tractor unless someone could see me(tractors were hard to get,boys not so much) and was regulated to labor only.
I remember feeling the same way about the older generation holding me back and getting the better jobs.
Just because they had been working to build what we had for thirty years before I was born didn't mean anything.

Last edited:
Entitled, ... i learned at a very early age that i was entitled to air, nothing else. Yes there are lazy people of all ages, some because no one took the time to teach them, some because they don't want to learn or they can't grasp what is being taught to them.
One reason old people slow down is because their body's simply can't function as they did when they were younger. If you don't think it's going to happen to you, you better look around, because those old people who are in your way today ... are going to be you in a few years if life doesn't take you before that.

Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterI know a lot of people on here are older, and have an opinion of the younger generation

guess i can be considered be one of those older people with an opinion of the younger crowd. i did not just pull those opinions out of a hat randomly.

my opinions are based only on what i have seen and experienced first hand.

like was said, ask anybody who owns or operates a business about getting people to work for them. they all say the same.

also like was said, it is not all of the younger folks that have no skills or motivation. but it is darn sure a majority.

Originally Posted By: bluealteredEntitled, ... i learned at a very early age that i was entitled to air, nothing else. Yes there are lazy people of all ages, some because no one took the time to teach them, some because they don't want to learn or they can't grasp what is being taught to them.
One reason old people slow down is because their body's simply can't function as they did when they were younger. If you don't think it's going to happen to you, you better look around, because those old people who are in your way today ... are going to be you in a few years if life doesn't take you before that.

If you read my first comment on this, I said I'd probably be guilty of it, too. However, if I ever get to the point of where I show up to work, surf the news, sleep at my desk, and push aside the ongoing problems facing the company/business, I'll know it's time to hang it up.

My comments sound harsh, but without knowing the whole story, there's only baseless opinions being shared. I could literally type paragraphs of the issues I saw come and go without a care in the world, just a couple individuals biding their time.

Three of my direct reports are over 50 years old. They commend me for the work I do, and I do my best to insure everything runs as it should. I do not look down upon these individuals, because they've all proven their desire to do their best. If any of them get to the point of sitting and collecting a paycheck, I'll start letting them know of our past experiences with the same attitude. It's toxic to a company, and I witnessed it first hand for 6 straight years.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterI know a lot of people on here are older, and have an opinion of the younger generation

guess i can be considered be one of those older people with an opinion of the younger crowd. i did not just pull those opinions out of a hat randomly.

my opinions are based only on what i have seen and experienced first hand.

like was said, ask anybody who owns or operates a business about getting people to work for them. they all say the same.

also like was said, it is not all of the younger folks that have no skills or motivation. but it is darn sure a majority.

I'd have to wonder how those business owners treat the younger crowd. Do they make them feel like they're a cherished asset or someone that can be easily replaced?

In the past I've seen the, "Your paycheck every two weeks should be enough motivation to show up for work," attitude and it doesn't work. You need to make your employees feel as important to you as the money you're sticking in your pocket, because ultimately, they are.

Back