Paint or not to paint?

Teamroper

Below is a pic of a Stevens Model 200 in a .223. I am thinking about painting it a satin black. My question is this. How well does Krylon or similar paints hold up on stocks like these?That is a factory stock that is on it in the pic.

DSCN0361.jpg

I'd go ahead and paint it and then put a clear coat of satin poly over the top. Then you could steel wool the remaining sheen down to zero with a little 00000.

The paint would then be protected.

I used the Krylon Fusion camo on my Remington SPS tupperwear stock. It held up great. I didn't clear coat it and it didn't get the tacky feeling some of the other paint jobs I did using clear had. Make sure and fully degrease and scuff the surfaces. I try and only do 1 color or coat per day to let them dry also.
PICT0303-1.jpg

I did a duracoat on my 700 in white for coyote hunting. Very durable. Only downside is it takes 6 weeks for the paint to fully cure.

Look, I have no idea why you want to go from grey to black, I'm sure you have your reasons. But it's something I've never even heard before and you asked "Paint or not to paint" and going from grey to black I say no. [beeep] no.

As for paint about any rattle can paint will do the job and I've settled on rattle can MinWax Spar for my clear coat. It is available in satin. Here it is in gloss:
DSCN0860.jpg

CB

Go ahead and paint it. When that coat begins to wear you can change the pattern with a new coat. If I paint I usually follow up with a clear coat. It is pretty easy to do simple designs on rifles. Here is a camo I threw on is about an hour one afternoon when I decided my 308 needed a facelift. Spray the base coat then add templates cut out of blue tape. Spray a second coat add more templates and spray a third time. Peal tape off when dry and you get this.
050100_1458_00_2_.jpg

This is the first multi colored job I did.

The prep is the key...I used rust-olum multi color texture paint and I really like the added texture when hunting in the snow with gloves. It's a light sand texture and has flecks of three colors, I chose the tan base color.

Black is "easy" to see in the woods.

G

Paint it!! I'm in the process of painting my Savage Axis 22-250 right now. I'm just doing the stock in a digital camo scheme. Gonna look sick!!!

I used the rust-olum multi color textured paint as well. I liked it a lot, I did bake the parts that I did, and they have been very durable, that stuff dries hard!!

Paint it! The Rustoleum textured paints work great, especially when reg camo paints are also used. I am not patient so I only wait 10-15 minutes between tape stencils and recoating. I make sure I use the textured paints on the grip areas. Sorry I can't get pics up.

Last edited:
I can't see why you would use spray paint on a gun, when it will possibly peel off. I would spend the extra money and buy a different camo stock.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannI can't see why you would use spray paint on a gun, when it will possibly peel off. I would spend the extra money and buy a different camo stock.
I have seen a lot of painted guns and have never seen any of them peal. Probably worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. Clean the gun of all the oils spray away.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannI can't see why you would use spray paint on a gun, when it will possibly peel off. I would spend the extra money and buy a different camo stock.

This spray on paint job is over 5 years old and is no safe queen, if the prep is good, then you too will "See" why.

thumbup.gif

P1020516.jpg

111.jpg

These two are over 3 years old and see a whole lotta prairie dog town time:

P1040079.jpg

So, if done correct, "Paint" be it duracoat, ceracoat, krylon camo or rust-o, it all holds up very well.
thumbup1.gif

If it peels, you just grab the rattle can, and touch it up. Not a big deal.

If you get tired of looking at it, you just paint over it, or strip it and start over. Not a big deal.

Camo stocks are only available in so many patterns and colors, with paint the only limit is one's imagination.

Shotgun-Paintjob.jpg

Paint it up!!

I personally used leaves out of the yard, since they look like the ones in the trees I sit in, rolled a little masking tape and stuck behind them to hold them in place. A pine tree donated a branch or two, strips of tape were cut and applied for branches, and touched it all up with a brush and a little John Deere green for pine needles. Used both Krylon and the textured stuff for spray. Left the checkering clean so I don't have to try and dig all the paint out, should I ever restore the finish. Likewise, taped top of the rail off so I still have a clean flat black surface to look down to the bead, and taped the trigger assembly, bolt, pump slide arms, and magazine port off to avoid problems with any sticky action parts.

How you guys treat your optics, I plan on spraying my AR soon just wondering how to protect the scope. I want it painted just not have the magnification nop or paralax letters messed with.

Back