Options for camo'ing weapon..what's yours?

gostovp

Where I hunt in WI, during the coyote season there is likely snow on the ground, however sometimes in December we don't have much...with that, whats your preferred method of hiding/camo'ing your weapon?

Primary Coyote weapons: Benelli M2 Shotgun in synthetic black, Browning A Bolt II in synthetic black/matte barrel, Remington R-15 in factory Realtree Max 4.

Here are what I thought for my options...with pro's and cons's...which of these do you do for your weapons?

Vet Wrap
Pro's: Cheap. White vet wrap can be had at local store for like $2.50 a roll. Can remove or delay application if there is no snow. Good insulator and sound reducer for bumps/etc. Protects finish. Removable.
Con's: If it gets wet, you need to take it off. Likely will only last a season. Might need a couple/three rolls to make it through. No camo patterns

McNett Camoform:
Pro's: Same Pro's as vet wrap, but also comes in a variety of nice camo patterns
Con's: Same as vet wrap, but also more expensive ($10 a roll)

Gun Skins type vinyl wraps:
Pro's: Durable, protects finish. Weather resitant. Looks good, myriad of camo patterns. Semi-Permanent. Relatively Inexpensive (30 bucks or so for a kit)
Con's: Semi Permanent (If you did gun in snow camo pattern this might be a problem if there is no snow) Requires relatively careful application.

Dipping:
Pro's: Durable and looks great. Permanent and helps protect finish, but proper gun care is still needed.
Con's: Expensive. A permanent camo pattern might restrict the gun to only certain seasons of use.

Rattle Cans/Spray Paint
Pro's: A 'permanent' solution that is less expensive than dipping. Can get creative with design.
Con's: Takes some skill! Maybe not as durable as dipping. Permanent application my limit certain seasons of use. May reduce value of weapon.

Do Nothing: Use the Black synthetic no matter the season!

Do nothing or paint like i did. Who cares if its not snow camo in the snow. Coyotes hunt in the snow and they arent white..also in the summer when they arent green. My rifle is green sponge painted and I still take it in the snow. Only waythey are going to notice is if your hunting skills are lacking

krylon_zps614bbcf3.jpg

Personally I use the McNett camo form tape. Works well for me and blends in well in my environment (sagebrush). When the snow starts flying, take the sage camo wrap off, wipe down the rifle and put on the snow McNett tape.

I have only painted one gun. My savage 270 was all black, so I followed the sponge camo tutorial and it turned out great. It's very easy to fix where the paint gets chipped off (use a q-tip)

I have rolled around the idea of doing a rattle can job on my AR's, but I just can't bring myself to paint a $1000 rifle...maybe someday. Until then, McNetts will do.

i think you are making this too hard. unless there is a glare off of it, they will not see it if you are still. from what i have read, coyotes are color blind.....

I agree with glynn. I've heard several people say now that the camo is more for coyote hunters than coyotes. I don't think the coyotes really care.. I say leave it as is, spend the money elsewhere. If you're itching to do it, the krylon jobs usually look and hold up well enough, and would come off fairly easy if needed.

I use all 3. The vet wrap has worked well and is cheap. Have the Mcnett for other patterns, times of year. Got a real buy on a quantity of army digital on ebay. I have the gun-skins for extra white on my ar but also bought a quantity of mossy oak cast vinyl in winter bush. Am going to use the gunskins as a pattern to cut out the same pieces for next year after I take of the current one ( on a black RRA r3 ). Don't feel it's as neccesary on my R-15 as it is not as contrasting as the black is.

My wood stocks seem to look a lot like the trees and brush I am sitting in. I did wrap my binoculars in Walmart digital camo and I believe that made a differance. I figured black binos swing or moving when I am scouting must have been catching their eye because my luck changed. If you walk a 100 yards and turn around and look for your rifle sitting on a bipod pointed in your direction it is not easy to spot.

Obviously you want to blend in but the rifle I have shot the most coyotes with is a stainless CDL with silver rings and black scope? Apparently it is invisible.

I am spraying a plastic stock with rattle can camo but figured when its done it will be 6 months before the smell is gone so I can use it.

Last edited:
I use vet wrap and mcnett, not for camo but for protection from the gnarlies in the desert. Just setting a gun down out here can tear it up! With the vet wrap it stays padded and quiet.

I use mcnett. Even if they are color blind if your out in a open field that is all white and your gun is black don't you think they will pick the movement of that gun faster? I do so I wrap mine in the winter

Thanks for the responses!
Like the looks of the paint jobs, I just have ZERO artistic ability and would be deathly affraid to do that to my rifles, lol.

Back