Opinions on older Ruger 77 with tang safety

mrcreole

Have an opportunity to pick up an older 77 in 25-06 with the tang safety. I have not owned a 77 but have not heard glowing reviews over the newer ones. Opinions on accuracy potential appreciated. Wood stock, like new.

The 25-06 is known to be an accurate firearm in any brand that I have owned. That is one of the top calibers in SE MO and everyone praises it. They shoot flat and has the punch to go with it. To some the older tang safety adds value and I like the older ones also. Just got a 220 swift with tang safety that is as new.

I have two Tang Safety style 77's. These were my Dads, he passed away in 2004. As a kid I shot alot with both of these, and to this day, Both still shoot an impressive group. You probably will NOT be disappointed. One of mine is 77v .220 Swift, the other is a .25-06 sporter configuration. I've heard some say that the current ones don't shoot quite as good as the Tang Safety type, This i can't say, I don't own a new style one. I really don't know of too many folks that complain about the Tang Stlye 77's.
I'd say the quality of Rugers may have went down SLIGHTLY after Bill Rugers passing, according to folks who own the newer ones. What kind of price on the one you're eyeing up ?

We have 4 of them. (2) 7x57s, (1) 30-06 and (1) 7mag. I love them.Generaly great shooters. One of the 7x57s has been full action bedded and has a Canjar trigger. It has shot some .25" groups. One of them is a 7mag soon to be .264 Win Mag. These have become my favorite bolt actions. reflex264

We have 4 of them. (2) 7x57s, (1) 30-06 and (1) 7mag. I love them.Generaly great shooters. One of the 7x57s has been full action bedded and has a Canjar trigger. It has shot some .25" groups. One of them is a 7mag soon to be .264 Win Mag. These have become my favorite bolt actions. reflex264

I'd like to have the opportunity to buy that one! I found a 77 tang safety in 243 a few months ago at a pawn shop, and I thought I would let them sit on it for a few days. Well, you know what happened--it got away!!

kevlars

I don't want to tell you!!
blushing.gif
I could have bought it for $340 out the door.IIRC

I still kick myself for that one!
cursing.gif

kevlars

Originally Posted By: kevlarsI don't want to tell you!!
blushing.gif
I could have bought it for $340 out the door.IIRC

I still kick myself for that one!
cursing.gif

kevlars

Dang it boy! nothing you can do now....If they sold one that cheap...I'd go there all the time
just to see if there were more deals to be had....evidently they don't know about guns....
top tang all the way....
I got one in a RS 25-06 sweet......may be worth 5 to 6 without scope..
I can tell you I would not take $2,000 for it......

Yeah, I know, I check there pretty often. But they don't do much volume in guns. I did, however, just buy a beautiful Sako there a couple weeks ago!
thumbup.gif

kevlars

We have 4 that I can think of ( 2 - 30-06; 1 - 300 win mag; 1 - 6mm rem. ) Also have 3 with the model 70 style safety ( 22LR; 300 win mag; 338 win mag ). I carry my non-tang safety 300 win mag every year and its my go to gun. But, I still pefer the old tang safety to the model 70 style safety. All of these rugers, you can put a dime over a 5 shot group. Except maybe the 338 win mag only because recoil is punishing. If you can get a 25-06 tang safety at a good price, GET IT. You will love it for sure. Plus, the 25-06 has a great reputation, so you will have a real winner.

The 3 non-tang safety are all stainless with the boat paddle stock. The 4 tang safety are blued/wood............When I bought my stainless 300 win mag in 92, that was the first year they changed. I was bummed, but I have gotten used to it over the years.

As a southpaw, I like the tang safety Rugers ..... as the safety is always in the right place for me!

My "Liberty" M77V in .243 is my nirvana coyote getter.

As to the .25-06 ..... I just built a Savage 110 into one and the early indications are that this chambering may just usurp the .243. This build used a bull barrel and the recoil is not a ton more than my heavy .243 ...... a sporter barrel would surely negate that!

Three 44s

It was my first deer gun about 30yrs ago and until last winter my only centerfire.Mines in 7x57 and very accurate with both factory and reload ammo.Never had a single issue with many rounds through it.Since it's been well cared for I think you'll like it.As far as the newer Ruger's go I picked up a Hawkeye all weather in .280 last winter.Accuracy with this one is exceptional shooting the Federal 150gr load.I'll have a hard time doing better if at all with reloads.

I have three M77 Rugers...1 - circa 1982 (Heavy Barrel); 1- circa 1996 (Light hunting barrel); 1-circa 2009 (Heavy Target barrel). All three shoot very well and are accurate. As far as smoothness of actions, they felt courser from the manufacturer with each succeeding year. The 2009 model feels like the action was made out of a WWI tank, but shoots extremely well. Also, there are only two types of Ruger barrels....good ones and bad ones. All three of mine have good barrels, but I know of some guys who got bad ones. If I were you, I'd feel the action and then go shoot it before I'd buy it since it's not new and see what you thnik then. Good Luck. All my future purchases will be Savages most likely.

Back