Ok frustrated 243 80gr GMX

13B-A/BAT

I can't get this [beeep] thing to fly consistent at all best group is 6" at 100 yds I'm getting fed up at this point iv gone through w760, h380, imr4350 , almost 50 primers and bullets and still at square frickin one anyone have any kind of luck with these touchy beasts?

Shoots .3" groups all day at 100yds with 58 gr vmax have a batch of gmx made up at 2.70 gonna try them tomorrow but not very optimistic

I don't know about GMX bullets, but Barnes monolithic bullets,
especially the early X bullets, shot patterns, not groups,
until one found the sweet spot for seating depth. The
first thing to note, is these types of bullets like to
"jump" .030"-060" to the lands. Seating close to the
lands had them, for the most part, very inconsistent.
I was about where you were with a 300 WSM, and a 150 gr.
bullets, seated .010" off the lands. I talked to Barnes
tech support, and they said seat them .050" +/- .01 off
the lands, and re-shoot...My 3" groups went to just under
1"! Since then, I have loaded Barnes bullets in about 20
rifles, and bolt action pistols, the worst shooting firearm,
shooting Barnes bullets was 1.5 MOA, all seated .030"-060"
off the lands. So check your seating depth, and your
chamber, and get some "jump" between the bullet, and the
lands.

Squeeze

Ill be testing the 80g gmx in my .243 this weekend and will post up when Im done.
Ill be running powders, w760/aa2700/h380/imr4320/xbr8208

Originally Posted By: 13B-A/BATI just want a VERY accurate 200yd load for our clubs comp shoot this summer

Why are you switching to GMXs from Vmaxes for target shooting? Sounds like you have a good load already worked up? Does it not stay consistent at longer range? Is there some requirement at your club to shoot monolithic or "green" bullets? In my experience, there are better choices for plain ol' accuracy than monolithics. They work pretty good on critters though...

No I just figured I'd try them I'll try anything as long as I (a perfectionist) am satisfied with the load I'd would be great to have some recipes or suggestions on a 200yd spot on load to work with

Originally Posted By: 13B-A/BATNo I just figured I'd try them I'll try anything as long as I (a perfectionist) am satisfied with the load I'd would be great to have some recipes or suggestions on a 200yd spot on load to work with

reloading would be too easy if it worked like this.

It is just going to take trial and error, especially for a new-b, it was for me anyway..and after several years still learning.

What others mentioned about seating depth or how far off your lands is a BIG HINT.

When I was real new at this, and having read in so many places that best accuracy is usually achieved .x amount off the lands, (very close to them), and then do some figuring with my rifle, and the best accuracy load put me .070" away from the lands.

I'm assuming your twist rate is adequate for that long a bullet? Those mono 80's should be about as long as a 90-100 gr cup and core - my old 244 had a slow twist rate and these would've been iffy on stabilizing at best in it. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 13B-A/BATYa I can't find 87 but I just bought 200ct 58's for $40

For 70's, Id go with these. Actually, I do shoot them and they shoot well in my 243's and 6x45's

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000214720

I intend to try these soon. Theyre regarded as easy to load and quite accurate.

http://www.butchsreloading.com/shop/berg...nt-100-box.html

Hornady 87 Gr SP have always flown well for me.

http://www.butchsreloading.com/shop/bullets/892-hornady-6mm-243-87-gr-v-max-100-count.html

PowderValleyInc.com has the Rem 80 gr PSP in stock, another good option.

Originally Posted By: 13B-A/BATAlso if anyone has w760 powder and no use for it it be interested

Just FYI, H414 is the same powder if you run into that.

Back