NYS Coyote Hunters

Thanks guys, been a slow start here as well... it's either hot or cold, 15 dry sets followed by five with action. I don't get it!

One thing I've noticed is its tough to beat a windy night followed by a calm morning.

Originally Posted By: LittleTony Nice job, nice pics. Looked thru yer photobucket. What part of NY ya in?? Some of the Turkey pics kinda looks like Oneonta area.

Thanx.Im living down on the island the pics arn't to far from oneonta.I hunt yotes from orange to otsego co's when i can get the time and so far the way work has been looks like i'll be chasin fur quit a bit.

thumbup1.gif
Great job swamp.

Might go up to the 'Dacks this weekend, up near Tupper Lake. Any thoughts on BIG country dogs anyone???

Kzone, my buddy has 180acres and exclusive rights to 2 neighbouring farms in Morris, outside of Oneonta. Trying to convince him to go down in a couple of weeks. He doesn't like dog hunting though...I think if we get action he'll be hooked.

Originally Posted By: LittleTony Might go up to the 'Dacks this weekend, up near Tupper Lake. Any thoughts on BIG country dogs anyone???

Kzone, my buddy has 180acres and exclusive rights to 2 neighbouring farms in Morris, outside of Oneonta. Trying to convince him to go down in a couple of weeks. He doesn't like dog hunting though...I think if we get action he'll be hooked.

If he doesnt want to go see if he can get u on.My buddie and i just picked up another 600 acres cant wait to get on it friday.

Hey Swamp, I live n. edge of Orange C. Always looking for a partner. i use a fp 416b and waiting for my new FP Firestorm, suppose to come tomorrow but the snow may keep UPS away. I've got some private land to hunt and a little known state land just ten minutes away up in Ulster. Its loaded with yotes and fisher running around. Atrapper friend of mine says no cats for some reason.

Two more down!.. my calling partner scouted out a promising area. A nice hardwood valley surrounded by thickets. Normally our work schedules conflict and getting together for hunts can be near impossible.. Yesterday we made it work.

Seven to ten minutes into the first set I see two yotes bombing out of the thickets to my left. I lip squeaked to get my buddies attention so that he could get the first shot.. the dogs came in so fast though that I had to take the lead dog less than fifteen feet from the e-call!. The yote following up the rear took off but came back with a few ki-yi's. This time, instead of coming straight to the call he tried circling downwind of the call. This worked out pretty good for us. My friend was positioned covering the downwind side and made a 50yds broadside shot.

My friends dog was a big 45 pound male.. I shot a 29 pound female with a beautiful red phase coat.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/swampwalker_photos/138.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh304/swampwalker_photos/135.jpg

Last edited:
Man Swamp you have been sticking it hard this year!! If you keep up at this rate you should open up a Eastern Coyote hunting guide school!! lol What time of day are you getting these dogs to come in?

yeah, it's crazy for sure.. I have seen as many coyotes since Fri as I normally see in a season. The cold weather seems to be helping. That and a few secret tactics....
whistle.gif

Holy snow Batman. 14"and counting.

Swamp, amazing. The female almost looks like a large red. What type of caller is that in the pics??

Helped the farmer on the land I hunt drag a dead cow to a hedgerow. Hehehe. Now lets see the trail they are using and setup accordingly. They probably won't be far during the mornings. Might up my chance to call one...unless they have a full belly. The spot is really bad for a sit over the bait though...prevailing NW winds make almost any stand up wind. Plus I really wanna call one in. Shooting over bait is fine in its own right. The 19th with the full moon just might find me 100yds from the cow hunkered under a rose bush.

I went after work today and called in this red...the first thing I have ever called in myself and shot. Man, was I pumped and excited. I used my Ipod e-caller.

I finally realized that when I call this property, I should not pull up to the very old barn. It dawned on me that they are more than likely living under the foundation. Parked a few hundred yards away this time. Fox came from the direction of that barn. DUH!

Now, if I could call up a coyote.

Anyone know of any fur buyers in Monroe/Wayne county area?

REDFOX1.jpg

Back