NY Snapping Turtles!

EOD23

Anyone here hunt snapping turtles? I'm from NY and it's illegal to trap them like i had planned. Looking for some techniques. Also the shell has to measure 12" not really sure how to tell when a turtle has only its head above water and you blast it with a .22 or how to retrieve a sunken one in a pond. I come across them all the time, but for whatever reason using hooks, nets and hands to capture them is illegal. thanks

Originally Posted By: EOD23.... I come across them all the time, but for whatever reason using hooks, nets and hands to capture them is illegal. thanks
Based on the above.....I would imagine it's also illegal to shoot them. I would check with the local Game Warden. Besides it's not real safe to be shooting at water.

When I was a kid we used chicken wire tied between two old broom handles and you use it like a seine. When the turtle hits the wire they get their claws caught and can't get away and you just drag them up on shore.

they are incredible fried also, couple kinds of meat on em, like eating two animals for the price of one. not sure how you would go about getting them if you can't catch them any of the normal ways. my guess would be shoot them while wearing swim trunks then hurry up and swim after them. shooting them in the head just ruins an awesome looking skull after they're cleaned up.

here is the text from DEC site for ny turtles.
Snapping Turtle

A small game hunting license is required to take snapping turtles. The only legal implement for taking snapping turtles is a firearm or a bow. Snapping turtle carapace measurement
If you choose to eat snapping turtles, you should carefully trim all fat and discard fat, liver, and eggs prior to cooking to reduce exposure to contaminants. For information on this health advisory, call 1-800-458-1158 or visit the New York State Department of Health website in the right column.

Open Season: July 15 through September 30

Open Area: Statewide

Size Limit: The upper shell (carapace) must measure 12 inches or longer in a straight line.

Daily Bag: 5

Season Bag: 30

Hunting Hours: Any time of the day or night.

Did someone say SNAPPERS ??????

Might aswell do some FROGGIN' while you're out.........
thumbup1.gif

Quote:How do you clean a turtle?

Turtle Wax! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, though, have you considered Muzzy fishing points with reel on a fishing rig? I don't know how hard these guys are to put down or penetrate. It's just a thought. Keep in mind, I'd check on that, but it would be a decent way to pull them back in. It would also be safer than launching bullets at the water. From my very limited experience, I didn't see many on the shore.

Last edited:
snappers reminds me of when we were kids. we used to catch them out of the local river and take them to the restaurant for a few dollars to buy BBs for the BB gun and lures for catching bass and northern those were the days

I like to use a bow like said above, or here we usually use a jug with a hook baited with beef lung or with a frog gig while frogging at night I have gotten more that way than any other.

2011-07-09_17-36-46_78.jpg

P1020625.jpg

P1020626.jpg

How to clean a snapping turtle:

While he is still alive, put a broom handle out in front of his head. He will bite it, believe you me! AS the turtle has bitten the broom handle, pull his head out so that it will extend it from the shell. Now, cut off his head with an ax. Then, immerse the entire shell in boiling water. Cut the membrane that keeps the bottom and top of the shell from coming apart, then the innards and body parts are exposed.

Fry turtles 5 lbs or smaller. Stew larger turtles. The meat is delicious to say the least and it will NOT taste like chicken.

Back