NV set up

slush719

I went on my first night pig hunt in Texas and scored on two pigs. I rented the outfitters NV scope and Thermal imager, for scanning. After smoking the front shoulders,(in my smoker) my wife gave me the green light. I was thinking about getting a PVS-4, for my scope and the Armasight Spark core monocular, for scanning. Do you think this would be a good setup. I loved the thermal but I am trying to stay with in a limit, seeing that I may only go once a year. What setup do you like?
Thank you any advice,
Slush719

Honestly, what I would do is pick up a Sightmark Photon XT digital scope, plus some decent 30mm rings or a QD mount and then pick up a Pulsar Quantum LD19s handheld thermal for around 1600 or so. You'd be way more effective by having that handheld thermal to scan with. That setup would be very close to your total budget. Slightly over but not by much.

Originally Posted By: mdmorrowHonestly, what I would do is pick up a Sightmark Photon XT digital scope, plus some decent 30mm rings or a QD mount and then pick up a Pulsar Quantum LD19s handheld thermal for around 1600 or so. You'd be way more effective by having that handheld thermal to scan with. That setup would be very close to your total budget. Slightly over but not by much.

Good advice in my opinion.

Also, if you are not in a big rush then maybe wait and see how the new Pulsar digital scopes pan out. The Photon is being replaced by the Sightline series. As well, there is an N230 coming that has a very high resolution of 1280x1024. Not sure what the cost of the N230 might be, but looks like the Sightline will be somewhat over $700.

I would be interested in seeing what the new Pulsar sightline are like. I found this Pulsar Pulsar Thermal PL76386 Weaver Riflescope Sightline N340 RT, for $799, It listed as a thermal scope. I am in no hurry, I probably will not get to go pig hunting for awhile.
Thanks

My friend bought the x-sight, it seems like a cool scope. I read a lot of problems with the units. Plus all the features that it offers scares me. I would like a more simplified scope. I saw 6mm06 review on the Photon xt 6.5x50. It seems that you liked it better then the lower magnification. I will be excited to hear your review on the Sightline series.

Google the Sightline and check it out. It is somewhat similar to the X-Sight but is small, compact and light weight. As to performance, time will tell. I am also anxious to hear more about the N230 and the cost. It has great resolution according to specs.

I do like the Photon XT 6.5x scope due to the improved sharpness with the lens cap mod, as well as the increased magnification. It suits my aging eyes better.

The PVS-4 is a large and heavy scope. I have no experience with it, just looking at photos and specs. The Photon is more similar to a regular rifle scope and can sit lower to the bore which will translate into better trajectory.

The digital scopes use a camera and have a somewhat pixilated or digital view and are light-sensitive when the IR shines on trees or vegetation. The view is pretty good though with an 850nm IR illuminator and is more than adequate for general hunting at reasonable ranges. An IR illuminator is usually needed with digital except on bright moon-lit nights and/or snow.

Standard NV has an intensfier tube and usually has the green tint unless you get the white phosphor model. You don't have to worry about exposing digital to bright light whereas the intensfier NV can be damaged with light. Standard NV (if Gen 3 and some Gen 2's) may not need an illuminator depending on the amount of ambient light.

I have some YouTube videos of the Photon in action if you want to check them out, and also a hog hunting video where I dropped a hog at 87 yards back in April. I have some Photon tests in the woods behind my house and also on a full moon and snow. My YouTube channel is: 6mm064

Of course, the digital scopes are cheaper than good intensfier tube ones.

Here is the April hog hunt showing the shot with the Photon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJClkkYIs5U&feature=youtu.be

This is a test in the woods behind my house. I used two different illuminators.
A full moon and snow test is also in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTfjB2PpyEo&feature=youtu.be

Here's some links to some new Pulsar digital models.

Looks like there will be three models of the Sightline.

http://www.tequipment.net/search/?F_Keyword=pulsar%20sightline

This is the N230 that has a whopping resolution of 1280x1024. I just did a conversion of British pounds to dollars and it looks like this scope will cost about $1,100. There is also an N250.

https://www.thomasjacks.co.uk/pulsar/product.asp?ref=2821

Also, of all things, Pulsar will be coming out with a forward attach digital scope that can be attached to a daytime scope, with four models to choose from - F135, F155, FN135 and FN 155.

http://www.tequipment.net/Pulsar-Thermal...CFQ-maQodx40Pxg

Originally Posted By: slush719I am defiantly interested in the N230. Not sure how the higher magnification will look. What does the 8X function mean?

I think the meaning of "smooth digital zoom" as seen in the ad means constant zoom up to 8 times the base, meaning you start at the base of 3.6x and can increase the magnification smoothly instead of pre-designed increments, and can change the magnification anywhere alone the range of zoom. I hope that's correct. That's my interpretation anyway.

For instance, if you zoom all the way up to 8x, then that is 8 times 3.6 giving a total high end mag of 28.8. That's my understanding anyway. Zoomed up to 2x would be 2 times 3.6 for a mag of 7.2x, and if I understand correctly by the smooth zoom, it means that you can zoom the scope to anywhere along the way up to 8x. At less than 2 times, maybe one and one half for instance that would give 5.4x. This scope has great resolution and the 3.6x base magnification with the possibility of considerably higher. For me personally, 7x or 8x would be as much as I would ever need where I hunt, definitely 10x and I can get by with much less, with 5x being about ideal at the ranges I hunt. If the scope will have good clarity at those reasonably zoomed magnifications then perhaps it would be a good scope to have. Most likely there will be a blurred or pixilated view at the higher end magnifications. Time will tell how it works out.

One other thing I like about the N230 (and the Sightline from their specs) is the 67mm eye relief that helps eyeglass wearers like me. The new Pulsar thermal Trail rifle scopes have only 50mm. That may not be an issue for non-eyeglass wearers but can make a big difference for those of us who do. It seems that eye-glass wearers are left out many times with optics, much like left-handed people are with guns designed for the right-handed. For instance, I have a limited amount of binoculars that I can choose from since most have short eye reliefs. I searched hard to find a binocular that has a 20mm eye relief. Binos like that are rare. I can put the rubber part of the ocular right up against my glasses and get a reasonably good view, although a bit more than 20mm would be ideal. Just a little education here.

My 6.5x Photon has a 60mm eye relief and I have to get the scope pretty close to my glasses in order to get a good view. I am using it on a bolt action .308 and had it bump me one time. It didn't cut me but wasn't comfortable either. If I had not been wearing glasses it most likely would not have touched me.

Your description of the 8x smooth zoom makes perfect sense. It should allow the changes to be made more precise and not choppy. I too agree that the lower magnification will be more ideal. Plus you would have a wider field of view.

Originally Posted By: slush719I too agree that the lower magnification will be more ideal. Plus you would have a wider field of view.
A wider field of view would be nice for calling coyotes and such and with somewhat less magnification, but for bait hunting coyotes or hogs, the added magnification would be a bonus. Seems the scope has the capability of taking care of most any range a hunter might need. Lets just hope that the scope pans out well in the field.

Originally Posted By: slush719Sounds like it wont be available until next year.
That's the downside. A lengthy wait may be in order.

Back