Now what do I do?

N Wolf

[img:center]http://[/img]

Ok, after fighting bad groups with my new upper, I changed scopes. I loaded up ladders with four different bullets. 40 and 60 grain varminters. 52gr A-max, and 68gr hornady match.
two powders, benchmark and varget. This pic is what I got on pretty much every group. 2 moa, and crazy fliers. What in the world could cause this crazyness?

The scope came off a 1/3 moa rifle, I know its good. Its a new, untested mount but it seems tight.

this upper is a 24" black rain .556 barrel on a slick DPMS upper with a free float quad rail.

Is your barrel extension tight? I had the same problem with one of my ARs (not DPMS) and what was the flier? the 40 grn? shoot 4 different targets with your 4 loads and see what happens. My 2 DPMS 16 inch guns love R7 powder, for what its worth...good luck.

Can be alot of things. Most obvious that comes to mind is what is your twist rate? If you are over-stabilizing things, groups REALLY open.

Hmm, I feel your pain. Been there before. It looks like you've tried bullets across the spectrum, a couple of good powders. I can't remember in your other post if you've cleaned with a good copper remover, like Boretech Eliminator? If not, try that. I have improved rifles by squaring the face of the upper with a lapping tool, but I don't know if you'd see the kind of improvement you need.

Black rain barrel, it seems like I've seen that brand at Cheaper than Dirt, but don't know anything about them.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARHmm, I feel your pain. Been there before. It looks like you've tried bullets across the spectrum, a couple of good powders. I can't remember in your other post if you've cleaned with a good copper remover, like Boretech Eliminator? If not, try that. I have improved rifles by squaring the face of the upper with a lapping tool, but I don't know if you'd see the kind of improvement you need.

Black rain barrel, it seems like I've seen that brand at Cheaper than Dirt, but don't know anything about them.
What trigger, what twist and is the barrel chrome lined ? Sorry that was meant for N Wolf.

Last edited:
one more thing I can think of is did you take the mount completely off and meticulously remount it when you changed scopes. Also are you reloading at the max velocity. I use h335 in my 24" varminter with excellent results, but I load mid range in the velocity category.

I know if you can't get 52gr a-max to fly you got problems.Did you scrub the bore with a copper remover? Check the crown? Check for a burr next to the gas port? Grab some more of the a-max and just shoot them, with one good powder for now, with all these powder's and bullets you are just running in circles.

It could just be because its a new upper. How many rounds do you have down it? Sometimes it takes a few rounds for things to settle out. Your powder selection is good. What is your twist rate? If its an 8 try some 69 grainers. I hope this helps.

To answer a few of the questions. The twist is 1/8. It shoots the same kind of group with 69 gr as it does 40. The trigger is a cmc 3# single stage. As for how hot I load, the original post said that I did ladder tests with all of those bullets and both powders.

I agree that it looks like a loose scope mount. The mount isnt loose though. Thats why Im stumped. Somethin has to be loose some where.

And for the a-max not shooting. My 16" ar wont shoot well with them iether. My bolt gun loves'em. Dont get hung up on one bullet, all guns are different.

Try it at 50 and 5 shot groups,,,get a really good sight picture,,,take your time.

Maybe even try some 55 gr factories in it.

That one to the right a surprise detonation?

And run it dirty for a bit.

X

Nope, that flier is just that, a flier. I have shot it at 50, same result. All off of sand bags. Just to be clear, I shoot sub moa with my 16" upper on that lower. Same shooter, same lower, same days.

@25 yrd,,take the scope out of the equation all together,,,see if it shoots straight

In other words remove the scope and pick a aimpoint with the end of the barrel.

X

Im not that good. There is no way I could shoot a better group than 1" at 50 yards with no sights at all. Dont know anyone that could.

i would not try a 40g bullett i a 1x8 twist. if you are certain that the scope is good,and everything is tight. check the end of your bore for nicks,abbertions. it could also be that the bullet is set back too far from the lands in which case you have a barrel throat issue. if you reload, try max c.o.l(case overall length), although, my first impression would be scope/scope mount issue. try the most obvious fix first.......scope and mount and work your way down from there. i would not discount having a bad barrel(i have never heard of yours), its a process of elimination. if you have a friend that has an upper for you to try with your existing scope set-up, i would also try that to narrow down the problem.

The Black Rain barrels did not have the best review relative to accuracy when I checked for another member last week...A google search will bring up the review..

Back