Nosler Accubond or Partition in .243

Bitman

Need a little advice.
I'm tired of shooting my 7mm Mag at whitetail deer.
I'm going to the Ruger Hawkeye Ultra Light in .243
I've been reloading for a few years, but only experience with the .243 is Varmint loads. I'm thinking of using a 100 grain bullet for deer under 200 yds. Which bullet would you folks recommend? The Accubond, Partition, or something different?
I hunt state land, and don't like to track a deer.
Thanks, Dave

Killed a buck once with a 100 grain partition. But the .243 dose'nt drive bullets fast enough in my opinion to justify their cost for use on deer. Ive shot clean through more bucks than I can count with 85 grain Sierra Gamekings, they work well and then I'm able to have one load for all my shooting, sight the rifle in once and go hunting, and not be worried about shooting expensive bullets at coyotes and even smaller stuff like squirrels. Trust me, spend a summer smokin squirrels and other varmints with your .243 and by the time deer season rolls around the confidence you will have in your rifle will be a great benefit to you.

Any non varmit type bullet from 80gr to 100 will do the job on dear,without going to partition or bonded bullets.I his a Row Buck years ago with a 105gr Speer PSP ,in the chest cavity,and it expeled all it's energy in the animal (45lbs)with pieces of the bullet under the skin on the far side.He was dead before he hit the ground (3100fps)to stabilize it was a hot load.

Originally Posted By: nitisconsidering there is no such thing as a 6mm accubond I would opt for the partition or maybe the new etip

I didn't even look to see if it was available in 6mm, just assumed it was.
Thanks for all the advice.

Shot two bucks in North Carolina last week with 100gr. Partitions and very pleased. Erickg is right, always fear the fellow in deer camp that only uses one rifle and knows how to use it.

Originally Posted By: 1badshee95gr B-tips works great for me.

My buddy loaded the 95 Gr Nosler B-tip this year. He lost an antelope with a solid shot, and required a running follow up shot on a Mule deer. I don't know if it was just bad luck but both were good shots. He said no way in [beeep] he'd load em again.

Just my $.02

with the 100's load 42.3g of IMR 4350, and the 95 partitions, load 43.0g. IN my 700's, the 95's are a tad more accurate...your rifle may be different.

What is unusual, the Win primer made small groups, while the Fed and Rem blew the groups.

I have had great luck with the 100 grain Partitions in the .243 Win and 6mm Remington. They will out perform any standard bullet in the same weight. I have probably shot over a dozen deer and antelope with it. I shoot 43 grains of H414 out of my .243. H414 has a very similar burn rate to 4350, but in a ball powder.

Well I'd say since you dont wanna track deer and hunt state land, you should stick with your 7 mag.

243s are not the greatest deer caliber in the first place, much less expecting them to drop in there tracks most of the time.

I'd use a partition. The 100g sierras would work better for longer range because they are a pretty fragile bullet. Less then 200 yards you wanna bullet to stay together and exit, while still doing quite a bit of damage on the inside.

What is a the typical range you shoot deer at there in Michigan? If you are shooting 300 yards or under I wouldn't hesitate at all with the 100 grain Partition. I have never shot one that ran more than 50 yards. Don't under estimate the .243 with premium bullets and proper shot placement.

Hey Dave-

I too hunt Michigan state land with a .243. Due to range (thick cedar swamp) in northern Michigan, I feel quite secure using a 100gr. Round Nose from Hornady. Of all the deer I've shot with the load, none have staggered, tottered or slid more than 30 yards, with most being DRT. A partition would be fine too, but nice to get 100 bullets for the same price you'd spend on 50. Happy thumping.

Back